Notifications
Clear all

My Acne Story (So Far)

MemberMember
(@fernie)

Posted : 01/11/2013 5:25 pm

So I have just joined acne.org and jusy thought that I would share my story :)

At the minute I am 16 years old and since December 2011 I have struggled with the skin condition acne. I got my first ever spot at the age of 12 and until the age of 15 I would occassionally break out and have a few pimples now and again. Most of the time I had pretty clear skin that was fairly easy to manage.

When I was 15 I woke up one morning in december 2011 with a few flat red marks on each cheek which were not there the day before. I don't know why I got these marks, I had taken all of my makeup off the previous night.

Ever since then I have battled with my skin and honestly I get jealous of my friends who can get away without wearing makeup. That's why I am setting myself the target to stop wearing makeup once I have clear skin, my skin is my biggest insecurity.

So I have probably tried about fifty percent of over the counter cleaners, for me the biggest problem I have is post acne marks and hypepigmentation therefore I concentrate on products that even out my skin tone.

Over the past month or so I have changed my cleansing routine. My acne is hormonal and has left me with red marks which is why I love exfoliating products.

In november 2012 I went to the doctors regarding my skin and I was prescribed differin adfapaline cream ( 1%). This cream makes your skin better and then gradually worsens, this is because the cream brings your impurities to the surface of your skin. As instructed I used this cream for six weeks and it did appeare better.

So throughout December my skin began to worsen and became more inflamed than before (presumably with late night's and excess food consumption over Christmas and new year)

I have decided not to go to the Drs again as my skin is now looking the best it has in ages, my red marks are fading and I have hardly any inflamation.

The products I am using are :

Garnier pure naturals 3 in 1 ( mask, roughly twice a week to even skin tone)

Garnier pure naturals fruit energy scrub (gel wash, twice a day. Contains salicylic acid)

Garnier pure naturals dark spot corrector (moisturiser, twice a day, 5% vitamin c to even skin tone)

The body shop vitamin c microdermabraision. ( twice a week exfoliator)

And most importantly, the thing that has cleared my skin up so much in the past 5 days : green tea!

Green tea is full of antioxidants and managed to reduce my inflamation in just one day! my skin is looking so much better than it did at the beginning of the week and I drink about four cups a day. I recommend this so much!

So what has acne taught me?

Obviously I have not finished with my struggle, I do still look in the mirror and Wish I had clear skin, I still won't go out without makeup on but acne has taught me that there is more to life than looks and vanity. Lacking in the skin department has taught me to love and appreciate all of the things that I thought were my flaws before acne. The one thing you cannot let acne do is control what you do or who you are, you are not worthless because you have acne. You are an amazing person who unfortunately has a skin condition, but you will learn so much from it and in the end it will make you a stronger person.

My goal is to have clear skin for when I leave school, a few spots here and there will not bother me in the slightest, i hope my story has helped and I would be happy to review any of the products

Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 01/11/2013 6:44 pm

Im 15 and have struggled with shit skin since 11. Im starting to see things a bit differently now than before. Acne doesn't define anyone and you're right, it shouldn't control your life . Thanks for sharing :) I love reading stories

MemberMember
(@fernie)

Posted : 01/11/2013 6:50 pm

Im 15 and have struggled with shit skin since 11. Im starting to see things a bit differently now than before. Acne doesn't define anyone and you're right, it shouldn't control your life . Thanks for sharing 🙂 I love reading stories

Thankyou, yeah it sucks! :/

But good luck , it will go 🙂