Notifications
Clear all

99% Clear, Just Can't Get Past That Last 1%

MemberMember
(@lt-aldo-raine)

Posted : 11/28/2012 2:40 pm

So i had severe acne on my chin and forehead all through high school. And over the last 3.5 years, it has been slowly getting better. I am happy to say that my forehead is completely clear and has been for a while. My chin is almost completely clear and all my pih has been clearing steadily. Even though I made smart choices in my life since high school, like controlling my stress and better eating, I attribute this clearing up to my growing out of it. The issue is that I just can't get past the last fraction of having acne. I don't hardly get full on pustules like I used to, but I frustratingly keep getting inflamed spots and bumps. These are usual mostly flat and hardly ever come to a head, but sometimes they do. Even though I have made great progress, I am so very frustrated still. I go from happy to depressed every other day it seems. My emotions are completely tied to my skin conditions, and it is all very exhausting.

I am hopeful for the next 6-12 months, as I feel I am very close to being completely clear. So what is everyone's take on this?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 11/28/2012 3:31 pm

Have you been prescribed topical retinoids or some other maintenance treatment yet?

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/28/2012 5:31 pm

Diet will cure your 1% issue. I promise. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.

MemberMember
(@lt-aldo-raine)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:53 pm

Have you been prescribed topical retinoids or some other maintenance treatment yet?

I'm really not interested in treatments like that. I tried almost all meds before but I feel more comfortable with just my face wash and moisturizer

Diet will cure your 1% issue. I promise. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.

But see I already have a pretty good diet. I don't eat sugar or fried foods and I eat very healthily. I've already been down the road of trying to cut certain foods out of my life, and I drove myself crazy doing it.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/28/2012 7:24 pm

Define "healthy".

What exactly were you eating.

MemberMember
(@lt-aldo-raine)

Posted : 11/29/2012 12:59 am

Define "healthy".

What exactly were you eating.

As in good amount of veggies and fruits, mostly leans meats, a TON of water, oatmeal every morning. I have minimal dairy, but that's not an issue for me. I am also cutting alcohol out of my life currently. I have been sober 8 days now and I have noticed my oily, red, dry skin is much improved.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/29/2012 2:21 am

You don't have to eat lean meats. In fact, enjoy the fat and good cholesterol. Just keep it in moderation.

Cut out the oatmeal (it's actually not good for the skin). In fact, wheat is not good for the skin at all. If you love bread, go for "paleo bread". It's a bread high in protein and low in carbohydrates and contains no wheat.

http://www.healthext...o-bread-recipe/

Here's a recipe I found the other day.

Eat most of your carbohydrates in vegetables that are anti-inflammatory and high in nutrients (I like to eat kale. It's magic.)

Congratulations on 8 days of sobriety. Your body does not like alcohol and neither does the skin. I used to have a drinking problem as well to try and cope with acne. It was like an endless cycle that only complemented the other. Drinking whiskey and chugging red bulls on a daily basis is not healthy.

MemberMember
(@steamroom)

Posted : 12/01/2012 9:33 am

Me too man.

Attributing most of my clearing to Salicylic Acid peels at the office, healthier eating, and overall I would suppose exercise and sleep play a role too.

Noticed I am also stuck getting the occasional pimple, sometimes painful and with ice it may disappear completely. Other times, it doesn't become a head but it does scar as it grows (redness not indents).

I am searching for the cure, they all seem to be around my mouth typically between mouth and nose. I believe sugar/sweet intake does really inflame my skin.

You don't have to eat lean meats. In fact, enjoy the fat and good cholesterol. Just keep it in moderation.

Cut out the oatmeal (it's actually not good for the skin). In fact, wheat is not good for the skin at all. If you love bread, go for "paleo bread". It's a bread high in protein and low in carbohydrates and contains no wheat.

http://www.healthext...o-bread-recipe/

Here's a recipe I found the other day.

Eat most of your carbohydrates in vegetables that are anti-inflammatory and high in nutrients (I like to eat kale. It's magic.)

Congratulations on 8 days of sobriety. Your body does not like alcohol and neither does the skin. I used to have a drinking problem as well to try and cope with acne. It was like an endless cycle that only complemented the other. Drinking whiskey and chugging red bulls on a daily basis is not healthy.

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 12/01/2012 11:30 am

Cut out the oatmeal (it's actually not good for the skin). In fact, wheat is not good for the skin at all.

But oats are not the same as wheat. And for me, oatmeal (100% steel cut oats) is one of the foods that makes a significant difference to my skin. It's smoother and more even after I eat it.

The other thing that makes a big difference is raw vegetables. If I eat 2 or 3 cups a day, my skin will be noticeably glowing.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 12/01/2012 11:43 am

It's not about wheat vs oats. It's about grains.

If you have issues with around the mouth acne or cysts, try cutting out all grains. This worked for me. Just give it a shot. There are alternatives to getting your dietary fiber.

Again, your trigger may be different, but grains of any type are not good for absorption of nutrients.

MemberMember
(@danielforbse)

Posted : 12/01/2012 5:33 pm

Cutting out 'fatty' foods completely will just make things worse, honestly.

Dietary fat isnt going to give you acne, but not getting enough could cause a hormone imbalance and then cause acne.

Look into avoiding Dairy and/or Gluten and see if this helps, many of us have allergies to these things without ever knowing.