Notifications
Clear all

The Never-Ending Battle

MemberMember
(@tom489)

Posted : 10/12/2012 5:11 am

Hello I have been struggling with acne since I was 15, I am now 20. My face gets very irritated when shaving and I get many whiteheads. I have very curly hair.I have tried straight edged razors, beard trimmers, and even bump guard razors which are designed to stop whiteheads, but none work. When I shave I take a shower and use a warm wash cloth to soften the hair. My derm told me to use Aveno Therapeutic shave gel, to go with the grain and to apply the desonide lotion as an aftershave. Inevitably I get a clean shave but after 2-3 days whiteheads again appear. I have stopped shaving for around a month and my face cleared up although I still get a few whiteheads but I would rather not have a beard. I also have mild regular acne on my forehead. I use Dr. Grandels Cleansing foam twice a day, algotherm face moisturizer once a day, and Glycomid PM 10% at night. I also use a warm washcloth daily in the morning to open the whiteheads and release the ingrown hair with a little bit of puss and blood coming out. I have found that this is the quickest way to get rid of them, but it seems like a never ending battle as more will come the next day.

I have tried many different products and most do not work. The only thing that seems to help is going to see a cosmetologist (not the derm, the one who recommend 3 out of the 4 products above) who extracts the clogged pores. My face will be clear for a couple of weeks but the acne will return. I cannot afford to pay $100 per month to get a facial. What can I do? I am very desperate, I hate waking up every morning not wanting to look in the mirror for fear of seeing another pimple and being self conscious when going out in public. I am also very confused on what to do as there are so many treatment options and acne variations. Does anyone have any tips? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@tom489)

Posted : 10/14/2012 4:12 am

I would also like to add that I follow a vegan diet, rarely eat grease food and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. The diet can't be it. Thanks for you reply Rednex but I have tried searching google but it just adds to the confusion. This is one of the few things that I have not been able to solve with google. Anyone have any tips?

MemberMember
(@nick199)

Posted : 11/29/2012 2:38 pm

My suggestion would be to purchase a pair of eyebrow trimming scissors (the really small ones) from Walgreens or somthing. They actually work pretty well for trimming the beard area. Once you get used to using them, you can cut your beard down almost to the point of looking clean shaven. This way you won't have a beard and you never have to shave with a razor.

MemberMember
(@danielforbse)

Posted : 12/01/2012 6:05 pm

I would also like to add that I follow a vegan diet, rarely eat grease food and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. The diet can't be it. Thanks for you reply Rednex but I have tried searching google but it just adds to the confusion. This is one of the few things that I have not been able to solve with google. Anyone have any tips?

ofcourse it could be the diet. There is nothing wrong with 'greasy' food in moderation, you NEED dietary fat and without it you will cause issues for yourself.