Notifications
Clear all

Is This An Unprecedented Approach To Treating Acne?

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 07/22/2012 2:23 pm

Here's a quote describing the thought behind a new treatment:

Replicated research has shown that the lactic acid bacteria streptococcus thermophilus, a species found in most yogurts, can increase ceramide production. When applied to the skin it can provide both antimicrobial activity against propionibacterium acnes (p. acnes) and direct anti-inflammatory activity. When you dont have the bacteria that cause acne living on your skin, you dont get acne.

Is this unprecedented? Let me know.

MemberMember
(@dsumo402)

Posted : 07/22/2012 4:28 pm

Has this research been concluded through actual testing on patients?

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 07/22/2012 6:01 pm

Has this research been concluded through actual testing on patients?

Well, they claim so. But anyway, I should have done a Google search before posting this thread as it appears it's nothing new. rolleyes.gif The company that sells their product as being unprecedented just seems somewhat phony to me.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/23/2012 11:28 am

Well, it isn't new to me. I have that info posted in my thread on linoleic acid and how it is a vital component of sebum that plays a major role in healthy skin, including the same ceramides that the yogurt helps with. And that problem skin of all types in all kinds of mammals from your acne, excema, psoriasis etc to your dogs itchy atopic dermatitis/hypersensitivity to mites, fleas, etc.

MemberMember
(@lapis-lazuli)

Posted : 07/23/2012 11:49 am

Well, it isn't new to me. I have that info posted in my thread on linoleic acid and how it is a vital component of sebum that plays a major role in healthy skin, including the same ceramides that the yogurt helps with. And that problem skin of all types in all kinds of mammals from your acne, excema, psoriasis etc to your dogs itchy atopic dermatitis/hypersensitivity to mites, fleas, etc.

Thanks for your input/contribution.

The people of that company say that it's "probiotics" and that that has always been used internally and never externally and in that sense it would be unprecedented. I had gotten the idea that they also claimed that the entire usage itself of this particular lactic acid bacteria is new... But when you Google it you can see it popping up all over the screen.

One must be skeptical, you know? When these companies come along with a "new" acne treatment.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 07/26/2012 3:00 am

U can put yogurt masks for similar effects I think

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 07/31/2012 4:59 am

It isn't very new, but it isn't very well known either. I've read some papers to this effect. They usually talked about competitive inhibition. Meaning that if you have probiotics on the skin there's not that much room for P. Acnes bacteria. If my memory serves me right a few studies have looked into topical probiotics. The results were mostly positive, but it's still preliminary research and the studies were quite small. Anyway, I think it's worth a shot to try yogurt mask.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/01/2012 3:24 pm

But it also improves the ceramide structure of the skin aiding in normal skin function. At least, certain strains do. There's info on that here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/314390-acne-prone-skinsebum-deficient-in-linoleic-acid-possible-topical-solution/

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/27/2012 8:46 pm

hmm, so basically applying yogurt to acne prone area can reduce acne

I am going to try this

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 08/29/2012 12:37 am

Does anyone know if applying a probiotic drink (like the fermented milk products) topically would be more beneficial than yoghurt? They have a higher concentration of probiotics, so in theory that would make sense right?

I don't know much about probiotics but I'm assuming there are different strains / types. If so, does anyone know if there has been research into which type is best?

Just curious.

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/08/2012 11:37 am

Does anyone know if applying a probiotic drink (like the fermented milk products) topically would be more beneficial than yoghurt? They have a higher concentration of probiotics, so in theory that would make sense right?

I don't know much about probiotics but I'm assuming there are different strains / types. If so, does anyone know if there has been research into which type is best?

Just curious.

Yes, Kefir has many more strains of bacteria AND yeast that live in a symbiotic relationship. I've actually ordered some Kefir grains and plan to start making my own this week.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 09/08/2012 6:47 pm

Yes, Kefir has many more strains of bacteria AND yeast that live in a symbiotic relationship. I've actually ordered some Kefir grains and plan to start making my own this week.

Are planning on drinking the kefir or applying it topically? or both?

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 09/08/2012 10:15 pm

Are planning on drinking the kefir or applying it topically? or both?

Just drinking. I may try topically but I don't know yet

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 09/08/2012 10:59 pm

Just drinking. I may try topically but I don't know yet

Ok - hope it works out well for you :)

MemberMember
(@acnegoaway54)

Posted : 12/01/2012 4:27 pm

i bought lactobacillus reuteri today and will only eat it. it produces a broad spectrum antibiotic called reuterin which inhibits growth of p acnes and the staph bacteria that was isolated in acne lesions. i have also been applying lactobaccilus topically to my skin for 2 days. basically it dries out the pimples and calms down acne greatly. it is working very well for me. i have also been applying evening primrose oil because it has linoleic acid in it which apparently not only decreases sebum by 50% but also inhibits growth of p acne. i found all this stuff out by myself but someone else had already posted it. thank you

alternativista

she already posted it about 6 months ago. wish i would have found it then. all of the stuff im doing makes sense and i hope it will cure my acne. i will provide updates but ive already seen huge improvement.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/04/2012 10:27 am

Just curious.

The research is on that one particular strain which is one of the main strains involved in yogurt. And some other strains that increase peptides. But perhaps any probiotic would work to counter p acnes.