Notifications
Clear all

Persistent Acne For Years After Haircut

MemberMember
(@4fours)

Posted : 12/07/2011 6:12 pm

Ugh, that's frustrating that it came back normal. You almost want it to be something so that it might have a cure other than what you've already tried. Retin A 0.04% has helped me, and I used the OCM to get through any dry phase. Hope it helps clear up anything that is left.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/11/2011 2:39 pm

Has anyone seen an endocrinologist for their acne? If so, did they help? I've been to so many different kinds of doctors and have stuck with each one for a good amount of time, but no one has helped. I feel like this is the last kind of doctor to try for my skin. It's just getting worse and my marks will not fade. I've never had that problem before.

MemberMember
(@pulz)

Posted : 12/13/2011 2:58 am

To clear up it will first get worst, and marks usually take a long time to fade, a couple of months at least. First focus on getting clear(of acne) and then on your marks, because without removing the source of the marks, well you will keep getting them.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/13/2011 8:15 am

Thanks, Pulz. That is my plan. It's just frustrating!

As others have suggested, I started shampooing my hair with non-sulfate shampoo today (with Organix Teatree Mint). I'm going to stick to this for weeks and see if it makes a difference in my acne. I will keep everyone posted. I always go back to my hair. The acne is on my forehead and follows my hairline.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/15/2011 6:17 pm

Good results so far. No new breakouts since using my sulfate-free shampoo.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/17/2011 11:08 am

Everybody out there, seriously, try a shampoo with no sulfates. I'm now using Desert Essence Green Apple and Ginger shampoo and conditioner. I used it once two years ago and I remember my skin being surprisingly clear. I thought it was my diet at the time. It had to be the shampoo.

My skin is looking better. It's worth a shot! Research about sulfates, too, especially in hair care and body wash products. No good at all. Can really damage the skin, and even internal organs.

I have also stopped using my acne creams. They were doing nothing. And my skin has been looking great so far since I've been using the shampoo without sulfates.

Hopefully these scars will fade! They are angry red. But I am so happy.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/19/2011 7:44 pm

Random major breakout on my forehead and the sides of my face. I'm not sure what's going on...

Nothing helps for long and I feel so helpless and ugly.

I'm washing my pillow cases and sheets.

MemberMember
(@pulz)

Posted : 12/21/2011 4:33 am

I'd advise you stick to the retin a, acne is a more in depth problem that a simple shampoo change will not get you good and satisfactory results.

MemberMember
(@pulz)

Posted : 12/21/2011 5:06 am

I don't think your bangs caused your acne, I think you already had something going on in your skin, like clogged pores that weren't visible. The bangs may have been a triggering point for acne cause of the moisture on the hair and what not, maybe there was a larger concentration of moisture in your bangs because it was smaller. Bacteria grows better on moisturized surfaces, your pores were clogged, your skin had a little more moisture than usual, bacteria starts growing in said clogged pores, your body goes hey there's some bacteria growing in some pores over here, so it sends some white blood cells to combat the small amount of bacteria and a "pimple" is created.

The whole process of forming a pimple cannot happen within 24 hours, like you said that you started breaking out withing a day. For the skin cells to start stacking up within a pore takes a lot of time, weeks, I'd say. Anyways this is just a theory.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/21/2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm getting so frustrated. I did go back to the Retin A the other night. It hasn't done a thing. Nothing really has...yet. I'm going back to my dermatologist in a few days.

MemberMember
(@pulz)

Posted : 12/22/2011 12:24 am

For how long have you been using the retin a now?

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/22/2011 4:46 pm

Since early October.

MemberMember
(@mintydude)

Posted : 12/22/2011 6:47 pm

I've been trying to limit SLS contact with my face as well. I've found it very difficult because it is in all the laundry detergents I can find so any pillow cases, hats etc. that touch your face will have traces of SLS. My Acne is fairly mild but appears predominantly in the same patterns as yours (along the hair line) so I'm following this topic very closely.

On a side note, I have to wear a hat at work which is a blessing and a curse. I feel good hiding the majority of my acne, but it feels itchy even in places that aren't yet infected and I can't help but think it is acting as an irritant and causing more damage in the long run.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/22/2011 11:52 pm

Hi MintyDude,

It's so frustrating. I can't get rid of it for anything! And over time it just keeps appearing in other places and staying there. The acne on the sides of my face started in the summer. I've had the forehead acne since summer 2007. I'm tired of living this way -- no doctors can figure it out, and I try so many things on my own, and they too fail. You haven't tried anything that gave you some improvement? I'm going to a new dermatologist tomorrow. I wonder what she'll think of it...

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/23/2011 1:33 pm

Alright, so, my new dermatologist seems helpful. She actually talked with me about my history and examined my face, hair, and back, instead of standing 10 feet away from me telling me that my acne is hormonal like the last guy. She believes mine is not hormonal. She prescribed me Acanya for my face in the morning along with Clindamycin for my scalp in the morning and at night. She also prescribed Retin A. Micro (0.1%) for my face and scalp. Finally, she gave me Solodyn, which I am nervous about taking. I do not like antibiotics -- they always cause other problems for me. Is anyone familiar with any of these products?

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/23/2011 6:19 pm

Also, does anyone know why Kairos shampoo and other products went off the market? I can't find much information on why that happened, but have read some good things about it.

MemberMember
(@mintydude)

Posted : 12/24/2011 3:13 pm

I used Acanya, it is a very good BP treatment. Personally I stopped using it because I want to find a chemical free cure for my acne, but as far goops go it is very easy on the skin.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/25/2011 9:22 am

Thanks for the information. I prefer the natural route as well. I'm going to take the plunge and go completely natural with my hair products. I've been doing a lot of research on this topic. I started yesterday. I washed my hair with a mixture of baking soda and water and conditioned with an apple cider vinegar and water combination. My hair looks great! Full of body, shine, and easy to detangle. And it does not smell. It sounds disgusting, but there's so much information on the Internet about the chemicals in hair products (even non-sulfate shampoos/conditioners [which are better, obviously, but they still contain some chemicals]) that mess up the scalp's and skin's PH levels, causing sebum overdrive, resulting in acne. Plenty of people have had success cleansing their hair with all natural products that actually really do clean the hair without stripping it of its natural oils. Check this out: http://www.youtube.c.../thelovevitamin . She's done it and she's great.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/28/2011 8:51 am

Day five of no shampoo and the acne on the right side of my face is gone (just scars now). Still have big ones that have been on the left side of my face for over about two weeks. One big one and a few tiny ones around it in the center of my forehead. I hope this experiment isn't a waste of my time. I look kind of gross -_-.

post-160833-0-32250700-1325080177_thumb. Forehead.

post-160833-0-77664200-1325080218_thumb. Right side of face.

Still pretty bad. I'm trying to stay confident but this has been getting me really down lately. It isn't fair. Much of my life revolves around this. I've never cared much about my appearance until 2007 when I started breaking out. I'm getting sick of living this way! I'm not sure if it's the shampoos that's been causing this or maybe the products in my hair are just irritating it. I'll keep experimenting with things.

Left side of face.

post-160833-0-87092400-1325080200_thumb.

post-160833-0-32250700-1325080177_thumb.

post-160833-0-87092400-1325080200_thumb.

post-160833-0-77664200-1325080218_thumb.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/30/2011 9:59 am

I swung by Whole Foods and bought tea tree oil (pure, essential oil) and it has been helping my skin a lot. I can't believe it. I recommend it!

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 12/31/2011 2:33 pm

I had to wash my hair today. I used Aubrey Organics clarifying shampoo -- 100% natural ingredients. The essential tea tree oil from Whole Foods is working wonders! Definitely worth a try.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/01/2012 1:13 am

hey wannabe, you said that you think your acne could be worsening because of shampoo... why not do this: After applying shampoo to your scalp, wash it in a way so that it doesnt get on your face (i.e. lean your head backwards)?

Also, have you ever tried benzoyl peroxide for your acne?

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 01/01/2012 10:14 am

Hi Timehealsall,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried benzoyl perixide plenty of times. I'm also using Acanya as well, which has BP in it. It doesn't seem to burn my skin like BP alone. And yes, I think my hair has something to do with my acne, mainly because of the shampoos I use. I always lean my head backwards to wash out the shampoo, but the suds always seems to at least get the sides of my face and down my back (where I also breakout). Things have been looking better than they have with the Aubrey Organics clarifying shampoo and the essential tea tree oil. I really believe it's the tea tree oil that's helping me most.

MemberMember
(@wannabepretty18)

Posted : 01/01/2012 9:18 pm

I hope the acne bacteria doesn't become resistant to the tea tree oil. I haven't been consistent with my acne creams, but have been with the tea tree oil. Does anyone know if that's possible for the bacteria to become resistant to it from experience? I've read so many different things. Either way, I suggest giving this a try. My confidence is coming back! (:

Something interesting: It doesn't seem to be working as well for my back. I wonder why...

post-160833-0-22141300-1325470650_thumb.

post-160833-0-58846700-1325470657_thumb.

post-160833-0-83415100-1325470664_thumb.

post-160833-0-22141300-1325470650_thumb.

post-160833-0-58846700-1325470657_thumb.

post-160833-0-83415100-1325470664_thumb.

MemberMember
(@ohbeckss)

Posted : 01/02/2012 12:01 am

Hey,

I was shocked to see that you have EXACTLY the same acne as me. I got it when I turned 18 as well. I was on a 3-week field trip with my school and was using tons of sunscreen, a new facewash, and it was stressful, so I am sure that's what triggered my acne. Now I'm 20 and have just about had it. I always had a couple of pimples/rough areas on my forehead before this trip, but I never had inflammatory acne like I do now until I was 18.

I have acne on my forehead, hairline, sides of my face, back, and shoulders. I just started getting pimples on my chin, too, which really bug me. But up until a few months ago, my cheeks and chin were totally clear. My cheeks are still pretty good. Here's my laundry list of what I've used:

-benzoyl peroxide products, OTC

-salicylic acid products, OTC

-Retin-A Micro

-doxycycline

-minocycline

-Bactrim

-Yaz

-Epiduo

-Finacea

-Clindamycin lotion

-oral clindamycin

-Aczone

Usually I see results for a few weeks or a couple of months and then my skin adjusts (or the acne gets resistant) and I have to start all over.

I have never tried to go the natural route. The only thing that ever really cleared my acne was the combination of three antibiotics I was taking for Lyme disease: zithromax, plaquenil, and amoxicillin. My skin was pretty much clear while I was taking this combination, but it was for a serious health condition and really messed up my digestive system and stomach. Wouldn't recommend, nor would any dermatologist prescribe it. I was on those three for about six months, but after about a month of going off those antibiotics, my acne was back with a vengeance.

After sifting through some stuff on this site, I decided I am going to try red/blue light therapy. Have you tried it?

Becky