Notifications
Clear all

Tanning for cystic acne

MemberMember
(@hunnybee23)

Posted : 09/09/2011 10:36 am

Has anyone ever tried the tanning bed to get rid of cystic acne? I'm just wondering if it works, even if it's just temporary. I only have cystic acne on my chin, the rest of my face is beautifully clear..and I know tanning is bad and all that, ya anit gotta go through the trouble of lecturing about it.

MemberMember
(@timmay123)

Posted : 09/09/2011 6:22 pm

It helped for me when i did it like 3 times a week at first but then soon as you stop doing it more come up and it's made my acne worse in the long run. If it's just on your chin i wouldn't risk it

MemberMember
(@mooninja)

Posted : 09/11/2011 5:09 pm

I came across an article yesterday, which of course I can't find, but it's something along the lines of it's only a temporary fix. I believe it stated it will dry out the skin but will in turn cause over production of sebum which will lead back to acne.

I know a woman who's been tanning for years thinking it helps her acne but her face still looks terrible it's just tan which maybe makes her feel better about her self and hide some scarring.

MemberMember
(@jrad)

Posted : 09/12/2011 8:59 am

This doesn't get rid of your cysts permanently, however it helps in the sense of blending the cysts in with the colour of your tanned skin

MemberMember
(@goddamnitdani)

Posted : 09/12/2011 1:09 pm

Tanning/any sun exposure will temporarily clear your skin but like the previous poster said, the sebum production will go back to normal or could get even worse after it dries your skin out. oily skin is a reaction to skin being dry so i definitely wouldn't risk that and worse!

MemberMember
(@damian131)

Posted : 03/10/2014 1:26 pm

But does the lights not kill acne bacteria?

MemberMember
(@luckydory)

Posted : 03/10/2014 4:18 pm

Also, if you have scarring or red spots I wouldn't be tanning, if its just for cysts then I guess it's worth a shot. Report back and let us know what happens