Notifications
Clear all

Acne & Flu / Fever - Wish I was sick more often

MemberMember
(@president-evil)

Posted : 09/09/2010 4:25 am

Hello everyone!

After reading these forums every now and then for many years, I finally decided to register. And in a very trollish way, the first thing I do is to start a new topic. But this issue is something that I really find interesting and I feel like it deserves more attention as a possible cure for mild acne. By searching the forums, I found some comments that left me to believe I'm not alone on this.

Background: I'm a 29 year-old male who has suffered from mild but consistent acne on my face for over a decade. Over the years I have tried pretty much everything, including Dan's regimen (which by the way worked quite well to some extent). However, nothing ever gave reliable & completely satisfying results.

To the point: One thing that I have noticed and finally confirmed this week: EVERY time I get the flu, my face just magically stops producing pimples and I noticeably clear up. Honestly, it's just amazing. And it has nothing to do with reduced diet during the sickness which I proved this week by eating a lot of candy & pastries on top of normal meals (lucky I wasn't too sick to do that).

Permanent cure? Unfortunately not. Once the flu is gone, the pimples are back - as simple as that. BUT, is there a way to reproduce the condition? How to make your face think you're sick? It must have something to do with the immune system. Are there any doctor's here? What happens in your body during regular flu?

Conclusion: There's a hidden cure for (mild) acne built inside us. How to dig it out without actually being sick?

MemberMember
(@tommyy)

Posted : 09/09/2010 12:56 pm

Huh. Well we can certainly state that bacteria has a big role in the cause of acne and of course our immune systems are in constant battle with that bacteria, sooo.. perhaps a virus boosts the immune system into turbo mode or something and and wipes out any small acne causing bacteria... actually ima stop myself, this is getting out of hand idk how that would prevent acne :L :L

sorry!

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 09/09/2010 4:17 pm

Ive posted this a couple of times in simialar topics but no harm in posting again I suppose.

Basically the way I see it is acne zits are because of a hyperactive and oversensitive immune system, the inflammation and the build up of white blood cells is an immune response because your immune system doesnt recognize that a clogged pore is not a foreign invader trying to kill you, instead of a harmless bunch of dead skin and trapped sebum.

So either its because your immune system is hyperactive and just loves to destroy your skin, or its dumb as fuck and doesnt know the bad guys from the good guys.

Either way when you get the flu, your immune system is too busy fighting off a real threat to your life, and so it doesnt bother with the minor (apparant) threats like clogged pores.

Thats my theory anyway, dont know how much truth there is in it but it makes sense to me!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/09/2010 5:31 pm

omg yes! & i thought its just me, wow..

i had this pretty bad breakout all over my face plus was picking on it, basically looked crap. and then sudenly got very sick with some flu, was totally dead whole day without moving a bit, in bed for 24h nonstop with fever. only at one only moment i moved to go to bathroom..threw a short glimpse at mirror and then just stoped at it with wtf, my face looked soo fine compared to previous day, no new pimples, existing ones reduced significantly and no redness at all, was like woow. ofc the day i recovered from flu it was all mess again

but i wonder if we could somehow use this?

So either its because your immune system is hyperactive and just loves to destroy your skin, or its dumb as fuck and doesnt know the bad guys from the good guys.

Either way when you get the flu, your immune system is too busy fighting off a real threat to your life, and so it doesnt bother with the minor (apparant) threats like clogged pores.

MemberMember
(@president-evil)

Posted : 09/10/2010 2:52 am

Interesting JoeBloggs. If I understood correctly, your theory is pretty much the opposite of what I had in mind. The immune system is overly sensitive and actually promotes acne? And flu causes a distraction, giving skin time to breathe. Nice angle on this.

What I think is that the immune system (or whatever) releases such powerful antidotes that along with flu, it also washes away every nasty bit of dirt/bacteria from your skin pores. And in a way it makes the pores more flexible and mellow.

Well, obviously the exact science isn't important as long as we figure out a way to create artificial flu. :D Then again, to do that we just might need science after all.

p.s. Funny thought that the immune system is either stupid or too damn smart for its own good. Wish I could punch that sucker in the face either way. Maybe I have to hit myself! Could that be the first step in our quest for flu-related acne medication...

p.p.s I'm not really a violent person

MemberMember
(@j0e7)

Posted : 09/10/2010 3:21 am

this happens to me too, but im no doctor to tell u why this happens...i just wish i would have the same reaction to my acne without getting sick...

MemberMember
(@dreamlify)

Posted : 09/10/2010 4:36 am

Hey dude, saw the title which caught my attention and i was right, it's similar to my concern and i posted something like this before, if you dont mind, do have a look (think we are thinking the same thing thou):

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Super-goo...49#entry2938849 http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Super-goo...49#entry2938849

MemberMember
(@president-evil)

Posted : 09/11/2010 5:19 am

Thanks for the link Dreamlify! Had not seen that particular thread. More interesting comments.

I am also quite rarely sick - during the last TEN years maybe 4-6 times! I have always been proud of my good health and resistance to random bugs, but now... could acne really be the price to pay!!! -No, I refuse to believe that. After all, I know people who don't have acne and don't get sick any more often than I do. But still, there is definitely something to this immune system thingy...

I guess it says a lot when a person would rather have lower resistance against possibly life threatening viruses than live with zits. And yes, count me in.

MemberMember
(@mcf)

Posted : 08/08/2011 11:54 pm

When sick, Body temperature rises to rid the body of infection. This might be why skin clears up during this time.. I am wondering if exercise can produce similar effects.

MemberMember
(@carmenlee)

Posted : 01/14/2013 3:09 pm

Heheh, do you take antibiotics when you catch a flu? :)

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:34 pm

When you have the flu you're less likely to be sexually active. Abstaining from orgasms cleared me 100%.

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 01/14/2013 7:53 pm

When you have the flu you're less likely to be sexually active. Abstaining from orgasms cleared me 100%.

Yeeeeah, okaaay.

MemberMember
(@ablb7519)

Posted : 02/17/2019 4:29 pm

On 1/14/2013 at 4:53 PM, Exister said:

Yeeeeah, okaaay.

On 1/14/2013 at 4:53 PM, Exister said:

Yeeeeah, okaaay.

On 1/14/2013 at 4:34 PM, tritonxiv said:

Oh look its the class CLOWN!