Notifications
Clear all

Hard water and acne

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 01/27/2010 6:45 pm

What about a shower head that filters water?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/29/2010 7:17 pm

oh my gosh. i just was thinking about hard water like yesterday and thought i was the only one who realized it. i have hard water at my house..and i went on a trip, and my skin cleared up soo nicely and was so soft and wonderful! even my hair was soft lol. then when i got home it went back to normal grossness. ughhhhhhhhhhh its not fair, if only i had soft water at my house it would save me so much struggling with my skinn!!

MemberMember
(@octopusfrog)

Posted : 01/30/2010 6:44 pm

Yeah! I noticed how soft my hair was too.. and I know for a fact because I use the same shampoo.

MemberMember
(@octopusfrog)

Posted : 02/12/2010 4:46 am

So I got out of the shower today, which I can't say was too hot, nor very long and my face was completely dry and flaking.. How do I beat this!!?

MemberMember
(@kristenm09)

Posted : 02/12/2010 1:46 pm

Someone needs to post reviews of a filter they have gotten and if it has improved their skin

MemberMember
(@dykim90)

Posted : 02/12/2010 2:06 pm

i think hard water is basic and since a person acid mantle should be around 5.5 (acidic) then that is probably why people are breaking out. the basic conditions are good for bacteria to feed and replicate.

MemberMember
(@self-conscious)

Posted : 02/12/2010 3:00 pm

Culligan Filter Shower Head

I'm going to try one similar to the one I posted up there ^^^ I've always felt that the shower was causing the bacne I once had real bad, but I suspect that the hard water is definitely not on my side. Is there any ways we can test it out without buying a $35-$40 filter that ends up doing nothing? Hehe.

Everywhere I've lived has had buildup around the shower head.

MemberMember
(@octopusfrog)

Posted : 02/19/2010 5:22 am

This one has great reviews http://www.amazon.com/Aquasana-AQ-4100-Del...4920&sr=8-4

It's $68 but I guess in the long run its worth it.

Will definitely look into it when I get back home..

MemberMember
(@sadinchicago)

Posted : 02/19/2010 11:51 pm

This one has great reviews http://www.amazon.com/Aquasana-AQ-4100-Del...4920&sr=8-4

It's $68 but I guess in the long run its worth it.

Will definitely look into it when I get back home..

Those can work on the shower heads..but what about the bathroom sinks?

MemberMember
(@michaelangelo)

Posted : 02/19/2010 11:55 pm

I got a shower filter/head from home depot for $35. They also has just a filter attachment for around $20.

$80 is way to much.

MemberMember
(@self-conscious)

Posted : 02/20/2010 10:41 pm

I ordered this one from Amazon for $30 and really hoping that I didn't just waste that money. Hehe.

My acne has generally not seemed to be caused by outer sources, but I'm sure it can't hurt. My face is often really uncomfortable after showers.

MemberMember
(@inquisitivecreature)

Posted : 02/21/2010 8:47 pm

Holy snap I need to try this :o

MemberMember
(@thommoth)

Posted : 02/22/2010 6:12 am

I've noticed a significant (but not completely clear improvement) from cutting out any face washes or soaps while using my shower at university. Back Home my skin would always clear up because of the softer water and I would break out as soon as I returned to university, with the worst being at the end of the 3 month summer break. The water here is terrible (it runs white like milk). I'm guessing that by not using the face washes my acid mantle is a lot better and protecting me from the harshness of the water. This is only a suggeston and is working great for me and my confidence.

MemberMember
(@ed_jnr)

Posted : 02/22/2010 7:41 am

This would explain a lot for me. Our water is hard at home and whenever I go away my skin clears up, I thought this was due to the sun but it often clears up when I go to places that aren't sunny.

It is an awful lot of effort to use other sources of water or soften the water supply though. I'm going to try everything else before doing this, though it seems like it would be worth it.

MemberMember
(@octopusfrog)

Posted : 02/25/2010 6:54 pm

I had the cheap $20 culligan one back at school and while I think it helped it definitely wasn't a solution.

I too hate that uncomfortable dryness in my skin after getting out of a shower and I am positive that it not only makes my face more oily, but also contributes to break outs.

MemberMember
(@self-conscious)

Posted : 02/26/2010 11:36 am

Hopefully I get mine soon. The filter is said to work for about three months, but if I don't see improvement within that time I will just not buy another filter. It'll be $30 down the tube, but I think it's worth a shot.

MemberMember
(@sleepy84)

Posted : 03/09/2010 2:27 am

I've always wondered if the water was the cause of my acne also. After being on the regimen for over a year. i could only remember one month were i was clear but had the dark red circles. When i used all those chemicals i've always felt it was damaging my face more than healing it. So after learning about tap water and the chemicals they put to clean the tap water; i was convinced.

i went to homedepot and bought the only shower filter that would clean the chlorined water. i bought the "Sprite Showers" Filtered showerhead. Part #AM8-CM . I've used it for 3 days now (bought it after work on saturday). My very first shower, i was sold ! My hair felt so smooth after one shower. My clogged pores on my thighs and arms are just disappearing ! My face is starting to look "full" and not as if i lost my top layer of skin from all those chemicals. I havent been noticing any new acne forming yet. Slowly i can see all my acne going away and my face going back to how it used to be. It looks and feels like my skin is going back to when i was 18 again I also have a large bowl of clean distilled bowl of water next to my bathroom sink. Times when im in a rush or just need to wash my face real quick, i can use the distilled water for my face.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 03/09/2010 10:19 am

Everytime I go back home (im at uni) after a few days my face will always seem to get red and irritated, but then back at uni it goes back to normal.

I've noticed that the water at my uni place is quite frothy and feels smooth on the skin whereas back at home the water feels rough on the skin (if that makes sense).

So anyway Im pretty sure its something in the water back home and I bought a shower filter for about A40. Going home this weekend so Im going to test it out!

MemberMember
(@santoa)

Posted : 05/04/2010 8:28 am

I had acne as a teen - a little here and there in my 20s, but now I'm having a severe bought with acne in my 30s! It's ridiculous! I've tried everything - OTC products, prescriptions, antibiotics, I cut out most foods besides fruits and veggies, I only drink water, I change the pillowcase each night.... but nothing. I'm starting to wonder if it's the water in my new apartment which I moved into right when I turned 30. I've started washing my face with bottled water and want to put on a filtered shower head. Does anyone have any suggestions??

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 05/04/2010 2:14 pm

Just so everyone knows, shower filters dont filter out calcium and magnesium (the elements that make hardwater hard), so basically shower filters do not soften water. Although they do get rid of chlorine and bacteria and a small amount of heavy metals.

If you want to soften your water you need an actual water softener, a shower filter wont do jack.

MemberMember
(@darkknight)

Posted : 05/07/2010 8:20 am

I'm starting to think there is some truth here. My face is pretty terrible right now; it's itchy, red, irritated, I'm breaking out...it's just a complete mess. We have hard water here at home. But recently I went to New York and stayed at the Marriott. The water there was much softer than here at home. I only stayed for 5 days, but man, I couldn't believe how good my skin was feeling and looking. It was unbelievable. Then, as soon as I got back home, my skin turned back to the worst. The only variables I can think of are 1. colder weather, and 2. softer water. Besides that, everything has been the same i.e. I ate just as healthy as I do at home, got pretty much the same amount of exercise, and got normal hours of sleep.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of investing in a water softener for the house. At the very least it will be better for the plumbing and easier to clean up the bathroom and kitchen. And if I'm lucky and our theory is right about hard water and acne, then my skin may just improve again :)

MemberMember
(@dscoop)

Posted : 05/08/2010 2:13 pm

So bottled water doesn't work?

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 05/08/2010 4:52 pm

So bottled water doesn't work?

Bottled water will work aslong as you choose a brand with low calcium and magnesium content. But in the long run it is very very expensive to wash your face with bottled water every day

MemberMember
(@dscoop)

Posted : 05/09/2010 7:48 am

An example of low calcium and magnesium content would be?

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 05/09/2010 10:06 am

Volvic and Evian have pretty low calcium/magnesium content