Notifications
Clear all

Do you prefer cold compresses for your cysts or hot compresses?

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 08/25/2007 11:26 am

I have moderate acne but I decided to put this under severe acne since I sometimes get horrible ugly, painful cysts on my chin. Talk to mwa

MemberMember
(@assassinated-beauty)

Posted : 08/25/2007 7:52 pm

Cold...anything hot makes my face look a terrible mess! Lots of ice for me thankyou!

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 08/25/2007 9:58 pm

Thanks for your input. Anyone else?

MemberMember
(@sheriko)

Posted : 08/25/2007 10:54 pm

I definately prefer hot compresses. Cold compresses don't seem to do anything for me. If I apply a hot green tea bag to my cyst for about 30 minutes (re-dip in hot water), then go to sleep, my cyst reduces tremendously overnight. Whereas if I use a cold compress (ice for 2 minutes, rest, ice 2 minutes, rest etc.) nothing seems to happen except perhaps encourage the sucker to grow bigger. Strange. Maybe the hot compress makes the blood flow more to the sight, thereby encouraging the white blood cells to attack the infection quicker and thus reducing the cyst. Or maybe the green tea somehow seeps into the skin with it's anti-androgen properties and also helps somehow. Or maybe the heat of the tea bag kills the bacteria in the cyst. (I do apply really hot tea bags - as hot as I can stand and only on the cyst. It leaves a red mark for about 4 hours before it goes away, so I always do it before bed.) I also apply some antibiotic ointment overtop after the hot tea bags and some steriod cream after that. It works for me. Can't say it kills the cysts all the time, but it certain cuts down their size and makes them disappear faster.

Case in point. Last night a huge cyst began to come up. It is 1 cm across. I applied the hot tea bag and this morning it feels about half the size under the skin. Tonight I will do the same and hope to reduce it further. This cyst won't come to a head I think.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 08/25/2007 11:01 pm

I definately prefer hot compresses. Cold compresses don't seem to do anything for me. If I apply a hot green tea bag to my cyst for about 30 minutes (re-dip in hot water), then go to sleep, my cyst reduces tremendously overnight. Whereas if I use a cold compress (ice for 2 minutes, rest, ice 2 minutes, rest etc.) nothing seems to happen except perhaps encourage the sucker to grow bigger. Strange. Maybe the hot compress makes the blood flow more to the sight, thereby encouraging the white blood cells to attack the infection quicker and thus reducing the cyst. Or maybe the green tea somehow seeps into the skin with it's anti-androgen properties and also helps somehow. Or maybe the heat of the tea bag kills the bacteria in the cyst. (I do apply really hot tea bags - as hot as I can stand and only on the cyst. It leaves a red mark for about 4 hours before it goes away, so I always do it before bed.) I also apply some antibiotic ointment overtop after the hot tea bags and some steriod cream after that. It works for me. Can't say it kills the cysts all the time, but it certain cuts down their size and makes them disappear faster.

Case in point. Last night a huge cyst began to come up. It is 1 cm across. I applied the hot tea bag and this morning it feels about half the size under the skin. Tonight I will do the same and hope to reduce it further. This cyst won't come to a head I think.

MemberMember
(@sheriko)

Posted : 08/26/2007 9:15 pm

Yeah, it really does work. On Saturday, I got this massive cyst starting to form on my chin. I measured it and it was 1 cm across. Anyway, Saturday night I did the tea bag thing. Hurt a little. Oh, and I don't wash the tea bag stuff off after I finish. (Green tea is an anti-inflammatory or something). After the tea dried on my cyst, I put on some antibiotic cream and some steroid cream. The cyst was bright red (from the heat of the tea bag). Then I went to sleep. In the morning when I woke up, my cyst had reduced in size to 5mm. Better, but I still wasn't happy. Of course, I couldn't do the hot tea bag thing during the day cause I must go out and about but before bed, without fail, I did the same for half an hour. This morning when I woke up, the cyst is about 2-3mm and barely noticeable to anyone but me. I figure one more round of tea and it should be imperceptible to even me.

Another thing, I got the good tea here cause I live in Japan. I use the real green tea. I don't know what is in the green tea in North America or Europe. There might be other things added. But I just use the pure loose tea and put it in a bag.

MemberMember
(@metallica1)

Posted : 08/26/2007 11:20 pm

sometimes i use ice, and sometimes i use this funky acne machine thingy i bought, which seems to work better than ice (also its quicker), and feels quite nice and warm, gets rid of cysts in 1 or 2 days.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 08/28/2007 10:17 am

Yeah, it really does work. On Saturday, I got this massive cyst starting to form on my chin. I measured it and it was 1 cm across. Anyway, Saturday night I did the tea bag thing. Hurt a little. Oh, and I don't wash the tea bag stuff off after I finish. (Green tea is an anti-inflammatory or something). After the tea dried on my cyst, I put on some antibiotic cream and some steroid cream. The cyst was bright red (from the heat of the tea bag). Then I went to sleep. In the morning when I woke up, my cyst had reduced in size to 5mm. Better, but I still wasn't happy. Of course, I couldn't do the hot tea bag thing during the day cause I must go out and about but before bed, without fail, I did the same for half an hour. This morning when I woke up, the cyst is about 2-3mm and barely noticeable to anyone but me. I figure one more round of tea and it should be imperceptible to even me.

Another thing, I got the good tea here cause I live in Japan. I use the real green tea. I don't know what is in the green tea in North America or Europe. There might be other things added. But I just use the pure loose tea and put it in a bag.

MemberMember
(@sheriko)

Posted : 08/30/2007 9:28 am

I tried the tea bag thing and it didnt work. In fact, it made my skin burn. Now that pimple on my nose is gonna scar :(

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:36 am

Using both is the only thing that works for me.

Here's what I usually do:

The first minute I notice it, I put a hot tea bag on it a few times a day during the first day. I do really hot, but I have never burned myself. After the first day I ice it as often as I can throughout the day. That usually works (3 out of 5 times if I catch it early) but last time I did something different and it worked better than anything in the past.

About 4 days agao I felt one coming up right next to one that had just gone down (it's been a frustrating 2 months with at least 4 or 5 cysts). I was at work when I felt this one, normally I'd wait to get home to start treating, but this time I panicked--I couldnt take one more of these things! For the rest of the day I iced that mother in my office. My chin was red and it was a little embarrassing when anyone came in to talk to me, but it worked! I did hot tea bags when I got home, but the next morning I did ice again and then nothing after 48 hours. The cyst never got any bigger, it stopped being painful and now it's virtually gone.

I think the magic bullet is to use both hot and cold, but really to start doing one/the other/both at the first sign of a cyst.

Hope this helps someone else.