Notifications
Clear all

Weight loss and acne scar treatments

MemberMember
(@mohd-t-sakibgmail-com)

Posted : 07/14/2022 5:09 pm

I'm planning to lose a significant amount of weight during the next 12 months - about 80 lbs. averaging 1.5 - 2 lbs. lost each week.

I would also like to get treatments for my minor acne scars during this timeframe - most likely subcision and regular microneedling with PRF.

Would losing this significant amount of weight slow down or stop collagen production from the acne scar treatments by any chance?

Since my body will be under significant stress due to losing fat, trying to hold on to fat, being in a caloric restriction, intense exercise, stress from work / life, etc. - would all of that stop Neocollagenesissince it's not the top priority for my body?

Should I wait after I finish my weight loss to do the acne scar treatments or would it be fine if I start the treatments while losing the weight?

MemberMember
(@alek-g-risticgmail-com)

Posted : 07/14/2022 7:20 pm

I cant comment on some of this but I will say that depending on the treatments you get, some of the recovery process requires you to abstain from excercise for a period of time - in some cases up to a week or two + depending on aggression. This may potentially be incompatible with your weight loss goals.

MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 07/15/2022 5:27 pm

On 7/14/2022 at 6:09 PM, tiredofscars133 said:

I'm planning to lose a significant amount of weight during the next 12 months - about 80 lbs. averaging 1.5 - 2 lbs. lost each week.

I would also like to get treatments for my minor acne scars during this timeframe - most likely subcision and regular microneedling with PRF.

Would losing this significant amount of weight slow down or stop collagen production from the acne scar treatments by any chance?

Since my body will be under significant stress due to losing fat, trying to hold on to fat, being in a caloric restriction, intense exercise, stress from work / life, etc. - would all of that stop Neocollagenesissince it's not the top priority for my body?

Should I wait after I finish my weight loss to do the acne scar treatments or would it be fine if I start the treatments while losing the weight?

Weight loss will make your acne scars more prominent. I know this from losing almost 100 lbs years ago. My scars became much more prominent and obvious to me. Or maybe it was because I had lost the weight, I had something else to focus on.

but no. My scars were extremely shallow looking prior to the weight loss.

nonetheless, age will make scars more prominent anyway so might as well lose the weight.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 07/16/2022 7:38 pm

Yeah aging does screw with acne scars. I see it more-so in the last 5 years. I even see these weird tiny microscopic sort of depressions on my arms now you can't see it in sunlight but when a shadow happens you see it never happened before. Sort of like uneven skin is the best way to describe it. It's the collagen breaking down a bit.

I lost about 13 lbs in a week doing a lot of exercising outdoors which is sort of my new hobby to relax. I don't notice any change in facial scars at all tbh. I have superficial scars though so I'm not sure if it's just too shallow to see changes with weight loss though. 30lbs is my goal though. So we'll see.

MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 07/16/2022 9:16 pm

1 hour ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

Yeah aging does screw with acne scars. I see it more-so in the last 5 years. I even see these weird tiny microscopic sort of depressions on my arms now you can't see it in sunlight but when a shadow happens you see it never happened before. Sort of like uneven skin is the best way to describe it. It's the collagen breaking down a bit.

I lost about 13 lbs in a week doing a lot of exercising outdoors which is sort of my new hobby to relax. I don't notice any change in facial scars at all tbh. I have superficial scars though so I'm not sure if it's just too shallow to see changes with weight loss though. 30lbs is my goal though. So we'll see.

Well most of those 13 lbs is likely water weight if it was in a week but to get the habit started.

Any significant weight loss will make scars more obvious because there is naturally less fat in the face.
also bigger face like bigger face surface area will naturally makes scars less obvious

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 07/17/2022 5:05 am

7 hours ago, Catharsis2018 said:

Well most of those 13 lbs is likely water weight if it was in a week but to get the habit started.

Any significant weight loss will make scars more obvious because there is naturally less fat in the face.
also bigger face like bigger face surface area will naturally makes scars less obvious

I meant over like 6 weeks, typo.