Notifications
Clear all

Sun exposure after subcision?

MemberMember
(@tjdeare)

Posted : 06/24/2022 2:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm booked in to have subcision next week & wondered whether I have to stay out of the sun for a period of time at all?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 06/24/2022 2:23 pm

9 minutes ago, masty said:

Hi all,

I'm booked in to have subcision next week & wondered whether I have to stay out of the sun for a period of time at all?

Thanks!

I think staying out of the sun in general is ideal

but subcision does not involve heat energy, the top layer of the skin is unaffected therefore there is no reason to stay out of the sun because your photosensitivity is not increased

however, subcision coupled with laser in the same session is a different story.

MemberMember
(@tjdeare)

Posted : 06/24/2022 2:40 pm

16 minutes ago, Catharsis2018 said:

I think staying out of the sun in general is ideal

but subcision does not involve heat energy, the top layer of the skin is unaffected therefore there is no reason to stay out of the sun because your photosensitivity is not increased

however, subcision coupled with laser in the same session is a different story.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 06/24/2022 3:26 pm

Shouldn't specifically matter as far as I could know as Cath states but generally scars don't respond well to sun. Sunlight sort of screws with collagen. It's not just a lighting thing it's an actual risk over time with excessive sun making scars somewhat worse. Anyway that's what I've read. I also stay out of the sun a lot.

You need vitamin D though so I'd sort of suggest wearing a mask and getting some medium level sunlight now and then, on arms, legs, hair etc.

Masty liked
MemberMember
(@tjdeare)

Posted : 06/24/2022 3:49 pm

22 minutes ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

Shouldn't specifically matter as far as I could know as Cath states but generally scars don't respond well to sun. Sunlight sort of screws with collagen. It's not just a lighting thing it's an actual risk over time with excessive sun making scars somewhat worse. Anyway that's what I've read. I also stay out of the sun a lot.

You need vitamin D though so I'd sort of suggest wearing a mask and getting some medium level sunlight now and then, on arms, legs, hair etc.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@catharsis2018)

Posted : 06/24/2022 4:38 pm

1 hour ago, harmlessboy1441 said:

Yeah, Id even suggest supplementing with vitamin D and just staying out of the sun in general. Lots of studies have been done on Californians, despite the excessive sun exposure, the majority still have deficient vitamin D levels its very hard to get sufficient vitamin D with sun exposure alone

plus not really worth it anyway because of the UV skin damage

Personally I supplement with 4000 UI vitamin D, have been for years

because sufficient vitamin D levels are associated with a variety of improved health outcomes (again a lot of studies to back this) and because when you got scars to treat, sun exposure is a no no

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 06/24/2022 5:08 pm

29 minutes ago, Catharsis2018 said:

Yeah, Id even suggest supplementing with vitamin D and just staying out of the sun in general. Lots of studies have been done on Californians, despite the excessive sun exposure, the majority still have deficient vitamin D levels its very hard to get sufficient vitamin D with sun exposure alone

plus not really worth it anyway because of the UV skin damage

Personally I supplement with 4000 UI vitamin D, have been for years

because sufficient vitamin D levels are associated with a variety of improved health outcomes (again a lot of studies to back this) and because when you got scars to treat, sun exposure is a no no

Exactly. I personally take cod liver oil as of recently in addition to multi. Acne scar suffers who have to avoid sun in particular likely have very depressed vitamin D levels beyond other people even (and or some other vitamins). I personally get some sun (with a mask on) mostly for exercise. There's some debate on the absorption of vitamin D or usability. Some say sunlight is extremely easy to absorb and use for the body, others say it doesn't matter. I just try to cover both avenues a bit.