Notifications
Clear all

Scar treatment journey with Dr. Rullan

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 08/04/2021 6:10 pm

Just now, Amanda Hall said:

Glad you saw Dr. Rullan! I paid him a visit several weeks before you.

I hope you get results from him. We've spoken before and I recommended him to you so I really hope that you aren't in any way underwhelmed. The way he explains his treatments is very convincing. It's almost as if..... he knows what he's talking about! With that being said, not everybody sees results from his (or any other doctor's) treatments, but that's a part of life. What matters is that you chose the doctor you are most comfortable with and you have peace of mind with the treatment you got.

Keep us posted!

Thank you, I certainly will! Everything looks great right now but it's only day 6, the swelling could go down even more over the next few days (although it's no longer obvious at this point) and my scars might start to look worse again, more like they did prior to the treatment. I've experienced that with Fraxel, sadly - for a couple of days afterwards, I would be so happy because the swelling made many of my scars just disappear. But ultimately they'd always come back. This time around, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, I hope there's at least some improvement from baseline by the time I'm healed and all the swelling is gone. A girl can dream :) 

MemberMember
(@lotstolearn)

Posted : 08/04/2021 6:54 pm

Can you dermastamp after filler? Heard no but want to confirm with others

MemberMember
(@getsmart121)

Posted : 08/05/2021 10:38 am

16 hours ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Thank you, I certainly will! Everything looks great right now but it's only day 6, the swelling could go down even more over the next few days (although it's no longer obvious at this point) and my scars might start to look worse again, more like they did prior to the treatment. I've experienced that with Fraxel, sadly - for a couple of days afterwards, I would be so happy because the swelling made many of my scars just disappear. But ultimately they'd always come back. This time around, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, I hope there's at least some improvement from baseline by the time I'm healed and all the swelling is gone. A girl can dream :) 

You have to give atleast 2 months and see if you notice any uplifting of scars.All the best!

MemberMember
(@hannahnick)

Posted : 08/11/2021 9:30 am

Any updates?

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 08/23/2021 3:07 pm

On 8/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, Hannahnick said:

Any updates? 

Hi, I'm almost a month post treatment. Healing well - I think my skin is pretty much back to normal as far as redness, swelling, etc. The scars definitely look better, to me, and so much of the atrophy in my face was fixed really well by the filler. 

You can still see that I have scars, which doesn't surprise me as I wasn't expecting a "one and done" but I am happy with the improvement and plan to go back for another session with Dr. Rullan. 

PXL_20210823_195906402~2.jpg

PXL_20210823_200055360~2.jpg

MemberMember
(@shei514)

Posted : 08/23/2021 3:19 pm

11 minutes ago, Tonitrus09 said:

Hi, I'm almost a month post treatment. Healing well - I think my skin is pretty much back to normal as far as redness, swelling, etc. The scars definitely look better, to me, and so much of the atrophy in my face was fixed really well by the filler. 

You can still see that I have scars, which doesn't surprise me as I wasn't expecting a "one and done" but I am happy with the improvement and plan to go back for another session with Dr. Rullan. 

PXL_20210823_195906402~2.jpg

PXL_20210823_200055360~2.jpg

Looking good! 

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/23/2021 5:14 pm

Hey op, are there no good doctors closer to that can do the same work? Just wondering cause im in the NYC area and plan some scar treatment done in the future

How much didDr. Rullan charge you?

Posted : 09/08/2021 2:16 pm

Hey, are you doing any suctioning at all?

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 02/04/2022 10:11 am

Hi friends, I had my second appointment with Dr. Rullan yesterday. It went well! Always a pleasure to see him. We did: vbeam (for redness), HA filler, phenol cross, cannula subcision and erbium laser.

I am attaching some pics I had them take of me (they also took their own pics with high contrast lighting to track progress) and will share them here to give you a sense of my "baseline" going into this second round of treatments. Feel free to compare these to the pics I took last year following my first procedure. I will post another update in a month or two once I'm fully healed up so we can see the results :) Let me know if you have any questions about my experience. 

PXL_20220203_231806706~2.jpg

PXL_20220203_231815961~2.jpg

PXL_20220203_231819929~2.jpg

PXL_20220203_231829343~2.jpg

PXL_20220203_231833406~2.jpg

On 9/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, perdust said:

Hey, are you doing any suctioning at all?

Nope! He did massage the tumescent anesthesia around my cheeks post-subcision however to help create a spacer (to prevent retethering)

On 8/23/2021 at 3:14 PM, Guest said:

Hey op, are there no good doctors closer to that can do the same work? Just wondering cause im in the NYC area and plan some scar treatment done in the future

How much did Dr. Rullan charge you?

I struggled to find providers on the east coast who have the same skill set and the same suite of tools as Dr. rullan. I tried seeing 5 providers closer to me and they either 1) didn't yield any positive results / progess or 2) made my scarring worse. So I decided to stop wasting my time and money and just go to a real master. 

You liked
MemberMember
(@candy-says)

Posted : 02/04/2022 11:07 am

peels for overall texture and you are free

Tonitrus09 and liked
MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 02/04/2022 1:35 pm

2 hours ago, Candy Says said:

peels for overall texture and you are free

Thank you! :)

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 02/04/2022 10:46 pm

How old are these scars?

On 7/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, LotsToLearn said:

I have first hand experience with him doing TL on me back in 2016 and I definitely had thehematomas on both cheeks for 2-3 months before it naturally went away. I do wish I had paired the TL with suction but instead, I did CROSS with it.

So, I do have a question. The last time I went, during the procedure, I didn't hear as much popping as the first 2 times. Does that mean that there's not much tethering left, and not much more improvement that can be done with subcision?

He did the same for me and it was because it would be hard to measure the amount of filler needed once the face is too swollen from the subcision process and he did mention one more thing but I don't remember exactly what.

Lotstolearn, What's your opinion on the TL?

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 02/05/2022 10:20 am

11 hours ago, dirigo39 said:

How old are these scars? 

Lotstolearn, What's your opinion on the TL?

Do you mean my scars? It varies. I started getting acne when I was 13 and I'm 32 now. It's been very well controlled over the past 2 years, which is good. I would say most of the scars you can see I got in my 20s. 

Also, if you're curious about what Dr. Rullan says about TL sub technique, please check out my earlier posts in this thread. :)

On 8/23/2021 at 6:14 PM, Guest said:

How much did Dr. Rullan charge you?

Sorry, I did not answer the cost question. I paid about $2,500 total. 

On 8/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, Hannahnick said:

Any updates? 

Just posted one yesterday :)

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 02/05/2022 11:42 am

After pics to show the swelling / redness post treatment. The gauze on either side of my face is to cover the entry points for the subcision and tumescent anesthesia, which bleed a fair amount. 

PXL_20220204_004257957~2.jpg

PXL_20220204_004252123~2.jpg

PXL_20220204_003311431~2.jpg

Ishayat liked
MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 02/05/2022 12:17 pm

If the CO2 I'm trying doesnt help, I'll have to try TL. The 3 cannula subs I had did very little. That's great you're responding well to treatments.

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 02/05/2022 12:26 pm

8 minutes ago, dirigo39 said:

If the CO2 I'm trying doesnt help, I'll have to try TL. The 3 vanilla subs I had did very little. That's great you're responding well to treatments.

When you say 3 "vanilla" subs, do you mean cannula subcision? Sorry the treatments you've done so far haven't helped - I've been there!

MemberMember
(@dirigo39)

Posted : 02/05/2022 12:40 pm

Autocorrect, yes cannula.

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 02/05/2022 12:44 pm

2 minutes ago, dirigo39 said:

Autocorrect, yes cannula.

Got it. Did the provider combine the cannula sub with any other treatments? Part of why it's been effective for me I think is that Dr. rullan has also been using the erbium laser and the phenol cross so all those things are working together at the same time to break down the scar tissue. Best of luck with the CO2 treatments you're getting, I've heard those can be great.

MemberMember
(@jjonesromainsbcglobal-net)

Posted : 05/29/2022 11:42 pm

Any more updates?

MemberMember
(@fany05)

Posted : 10/11/2023 10:29 pm

@cmhhalliday Hello

I will send you a private message. I am doing my research and Dr Rullan looks like a good option for my acne scars. By the way great improvement on your acne scars

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 10/13/2023 4:50 pm

Posted by: @jromain

Any more updates?

I'm planning to go see Dr. Rullan for a 3rd session (they estimated it would take 6 sessions to get to the result I want) very soon. Will update my thread when I go.

fany05 and willow33 liked
MemberMember
(@bjorn)

Posted : 10/25/2023 3:04 pm

Heyy

What is your opinion about subcision?

Did you see improvement and did you have rolling scars?

MemberMember
(@cmhhalliday)

Posted : 10/30/2023 11:57 am

Posted by: @Bjorn

Heyy

What is your opinion about subcision?

Did you see improvement and did you have rolling scars?

It's not a matter of opinion, but fact. Subcision is what's referred to as a "manual method" (vs something like laser) and is the most effective treatment for rolling scars, due to their tethering, which pulls them down and makes them visible. Subcision releases those tethers under the scar and allows them to lift and heal. Yes, I have Rolling scars and yes, I have seen improvement. I tried tons of doctors and tons of other treatments before (lasers, microneedling, etc) but Dr. Rullan is the only person who's been able to give me a noticable improvement. He has excellent subcision technique and pairs it with other treatments at the same time to boost that effect. If you have rolling scars, no amount of laser will fix it. Trust me, I tried that for YEARS. get subcision, you will not regret it. But make sure the person doing it knows what they're doing.

MemberMember
(@persimmon52)

Posted : 11/16/2023 8:29 pm

Hey @Tronitus09, sorry to butt in, but I have scars that look pretty similar to the way yours did before you saw Dr. Rullan and am in the process of researching doctors/procedures at the moment. I was wondering if the $2,500 you paid was a flat fee that includes all future sessions, or if it only covered the 2 sessions you've had so far.

Also, since you're on the East Coast and said you tried many local doctors before flying out to California, I was wondering if you had any experience with Dr. Khrom in Brooklyn, NY.

You're skin is looking great and makes me feel a lot more optimistic about this scary process!

MemberMember
(@stardust123)

Posted : 11/24/2023 4:21 pm

Posted by: @persimmon52

Hey @Tronitus09, sorry to butt in, but I have scars that look pretty similar to the way yours did before you saw Dr. Rullan and am in the process of researching doctors/procedures at the moment. I was wondering if the $2,500 you paid was a flat fee that includes all future sessions, or if it only covered the 2 sessions you've had so far.

Also, since you're on the East Coast and said you tried many local doctors before flying out to California, I was wondering if you had any experience with Dr. Khrom in Brooklyn, NY.

You're skin is looking great and makes me feel a lot more optimistic about this scary process!

lol no, that's probably one session price. He's been jacking up the price due to the marketing on these forums. He used to be a small town doctor from Chula Vista and he's grown big due to the automatic advice to visit him for acne scarring. Office staff are generally unresponsive. I'd try local doctors or cheaper options.

This post was modified 5 months ago by Stardust123