Notifications
Clear all

Collagen supplements, skin products in tandem with acne scar treatment

MemberMember
(@xander_33)

Posted : 11/29/2020 12:02 pm

Are there any collagen supplements or products (Vitamin C) that are worth taking when undergoing acne scar treatments such as subcision, RF microneedlng, TCA cross, etc?

I was considering taking some collagen supplements after my subcision to help expediate the healing/collagen formation process. Butlast I spoke with my general derm she said that collagen supplements are quite ineffective and the most someone can do to help their skin while it's healing is just to make sure they're getting proper nutritionand proper rest.

I exercise alot, will significant weightloss or lifting heavy weights affect my body's ability to reform collagen in any way?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/29/2020 3:48 pm

First, I suggest you avoid strenuous exercise like weight lifting following a scar treatment. You body needs to rest in order to heal properly.

I concur that collagen supplements are more hype than anything else. However, it is worth looking into vitamins and minerals separately.

I usually stack Vitamin C, Zinc, and NAC for collagen and liver detox (these treatments, especially TCA, is highly toxic).

It's also good to add Vitamins D,B9 and B12 to the mix (although not at the same time as the above batch) for DNA/RNA repair and blood purification.

Hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@anon09299)

Posted : 11/29/2020 9:08 pm

I mostly agree with above. From my understanding dietarycollagen has no effect on actual collagen production in the body. That being said I try to eat a little bit more than usualafter treatments. Your body needs a caloric surplus to be in a anabolic state. I know it is skin tissue so it probably works a bit differently but it can't hurt where as I can see being in a state of malnutrition will probably hinder some collagen production.