Notifications
Clear all

My scar treatment journey. A cautionary tale.

MemberMember
(@acnescarguy)

Posted : 09/26/2020 2:52 am

2 hours ago, Urbanite said:

Update:  Well, I was supposed to have subcision on my right cheek with Dr. Ringpfeil but I got cold feet. What if something goes wrong? What if I make things worse than they are now?

Well.. you can wait for the fillers to dissolve on its own first and see how you look. Do understand this is not life threatening so you have the luxury to wait. 

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 09/26/2020 1:48 pm

Well, it's coming up on three years. I may be at the point where it hasdissolved as much as it's going to dissolve.

Having the procedure now isa good timesince I'm jobless and masks are typical in public, but it's abad time too since I'm job hunting.

MemberMember
(@lmk5)

Posted : 11/14/2021 7:30 am

@Urbaniteany update on how things went with Ringpfeil? Im close to Philly and was considering doing a consultwithher Id love to know if she helped!

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 11/28/2021 7:51 pm

On 9/26/2020 at 1:29 AM, Urbanite said:

Update:  Well, I was supposed to have subcision on my right cheek with Dr. Ringpfeil but I got cold feet. What if something goes wrong? What if I make things worse than they are now?

So with the pandemic and all, I decided I didn't want to add any further stress into my life. I also really want to give subcision more thought. Dr. Ringpfeil scared me when she said infection was a possibility, given the air space that would be left by the cut tethers. The LAST thing I need is for my face to become infected and disfigured even more.  That said, I'm going to reach out to her and see if I can schedule something for early 2022. With masking still prevalent in the Northeast, it's a good time to do work that will have me looking bruised. Oh, I also bought a suction device from Amazon that I need to test out. Mr. Matt swore by suction after subcison. If you don't know who Mr. Matt is, you can find his journey here in the forum. I think he still has his profile up.

MemberMember
(@baylenbb)

Posted : 12/02/2021 7:07 pm

Thank you for post this. This is highly valuable. I will be following your journey.

MemberMember
(@harmlessboy1441)

Posted : 12/02/2021 8:39 pm

On 11/28/2021 at 7:51 PM, Urbanite said:

So with the pandemic and all, I decided I didn't want to add any furtherstress into my life. I also really want to give subcision more thought. Dr. Ringpfeil scared me when she said infection was a possibility, given the air space that would be left by the cut tethers. The LAST thing I need is for my face to become infected and disfigured even more. That said, I'm going to reach out to her and see if I can schedule something for early 2022. With masking still prevalent in the Northeast, it's a good time to do work that will have me lookingbruised. Oh, I also bought a suction devicefrom Amazon that I need to test out. Mr. Matt swore by suction after subcison. If you don't know who Mr. Matt is, you can find his journey here in the forum. I think he still has his profile up.

Post like this makes me more apt to choose more temporary fillers like juvederm, because the layers and damage probably varies greatly per person so it's probably not a perfect science. Every doctor I saw to get one tethered larger scar filled said only juvederm. I really think doctors mostly know that the layers are too unpredictable and could bulge so they lean towards temporary fillers most of the time, which in turn is a pain to do every 6 months and trauma the skin over and over with fillers..

I've seen way worse scars though. Sometimes mine look worse depending on the lighting not depth but amount in general, as I have lots of textural issues like linear subtle scars all over that blends farther away, but is super visible close up. I would suggest just getting it dissolved and starting over gradually with something else. The before picture actually doesn't look so bad at all. If it dissolves and gradually returns to that, I'd go for minor improvements.

MemberMember
(@lmk5)

Posted : 12/05/2021 7:38 pm

@Urbanitethanks so much for the update and info super helpful. Thats totallyunderstandable you wanted to wait! I hope things go well for you!! Would you mind updating when you go to see her and how it goes/what you thought of the process? I was going to book a consult with her, but then found out Im pregnant so Ill have to wait. But I REALLY want to do something about my scars when Im able to.

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 12/05/2021 11:03 pm

Looks like I've asked too many questions of Dr. Ringpfeil. She says I should seek help elsewhere. 

MemberMember
(@lmk5)

Posted : 12/20/2021 8:58 pm

@Urbaniteugh I™m so sorry! That™s so frustrating and disheartening¦ I would think anyone getting work done would be asking a lot of questions since treating acne scars is such a difficult and scary thing  I hope you can find someone else who can help you!!

MemberMember
(@preditorfighter)

Posted : 12/21/2021 2:21 am

@Urbaniteis there an update ? I also have a lump since a had subcision with radiesse with dr. Emil . Its almost 3 years now and it didnt went away yet. I think it is scar tissue.

MemberMember
(@orangez)

Posted : 12/21/2021 12:32 pm

On 11/14/2021 at 7:30 AM, Lmk5 said:

@Urbaniteany update on how things went with Ringpfeil? Im close to Philly and was considering doing a consultwithher Id love to know if she helped!

She's a bit conservative in treatment as far as I could tell. Very hesitant in regards tosubcision, filler, ablative and I don't think she does cross.Tends to push the RF Microneedle and light fractionated laser. Possibly a bit outdated in methodology relative to what people are pushing on the internet?

I think you can do the latter treatments with a freeconsult so I'm not sure how valuable the paid consult is unless you have severe enough scars and want/can convince her to jump right into filler, subcision.

MemberMember
(@lmk5)

Posted : 12/22/2021 7:03 pm

On 12/21/2021 at 12:32 PM, orangez said:

She's a bit conservative in treatment as far as I could tell. Very hesitant in regards tosubcision, filler, ablative and I don't think she does cross.Tends to push the RF Microneedle and light fractionated laser. Possibly a bit outdated in methodology relative to what people are pushing on the internet?

I think you can do the latter treatments with a freeconsult so I'm not sure how valuable the paid consult is unless you have severe enough scars and want/can convince her to jump right into filler, subcision.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your input!Im assuming you went to see her? Did you get work done by her or just a consult? I have some scars on my cheeks but the ones that annoy memost areon my forehead -Im pretty sure they are rolling scars and Ive heardsubcision is best for that,but I know the forehead is a difficult to treat area. Somy main concern is finding someone who is experienced with acne scarring with that area where it would be safe + Id be able to see at least some improvement

MemberMember
(@orangez)

Posted : 12/23/2021 12:01 am

5 hours ago, Lmk5 said:

Thank you so much! I appreciate your input!Im assuming you went to see her? Did you get work done by her or just a consult? I have some scars on my cheeks but the ones that annoy memost areon my forehead -Im pretty sure they are rolling scars and Ive heardsubcision is best for that,but I know the forehead is a difficult to treat area. Somy main concern is finding someone who is experienced with acne scarring with that area where it would be safe + Id be able to see at least some improvement

Haven't went back for anything yet. I've been dragging my feet because subcision was my primary interest and she didn't seem to like it as a treatment unless absolutely necessary. I researched a bit and couldn't find much on doctors in this area.

I didn't get the impression that she would even consider performing subcision on an area like the forehead. If you wanted then you could probably submit a question through their site, phone as I imagine she wouldcategorically rule it out.

Edit with a few details - she mentioned 18G nokor as the needle of choice. Didn't like cannula or taylor. Mentioned primarily using it as a spot treatment for severe and localized scars as larger areas are risky due to a 5% chance of infection. Doesn't mix in or use sculptra on acne scars because of clumping risks.

MemberMember
(@lmk5)

Posted : 12/23/2021 3:55 pm

15 hours ago, orangez said:

Haven't went back for anything yet. I've been dragging my feet because subcision was my primary interest and she didn't seem to like it as a treatment unless absolutely necessary. I researched a bit and couldn't find much on doctors in this area.

I didn't get the impression that she would even consider performing subcision on an area like the forehead. If you wanted then you could probably submit a question through their site, phone as I imagine she wouldcategorically rule it out.

Edit with a few details - she mentioned 18G nokor as the needle of choice. Didn't like cannula or taylor. Mentioned primarily using it as a spot treatment for severe and localized scars as larger areas are risky due to a 5% chance of infection. Doesn't mix in or use sculptra on acne scars because of clumping risks.

Thanks so much for the info! Im in the same boat with finding anyone in this areaI feel like Ive researched a lot andshe was the one of the only onesIve seen recommended on this site specificallyforacne scarring and subcisionnear Philly,so I had some hope she might be worthwhile. Sucks if shes skepticalto do sub!With my pregnancy I cant do any treatmentsright now, but I guess I should eventuallyjust start consulting with different derms in the area to see what they say/if theres even any consistency in a treatment plan between different doctors. My regular dermatologist just mentioned lasers when I casuallyasked about how they treatscarring years ago when I was in for a skin check.I know most people dont see great results withlasers so Ifelt like she probably isntthe best optionto go tofor scars. So hard, I feel like I dont know what doctor to trust.Scarringis a serious and scarytreatment to me and I want to find someone experienced!I appreciate your help!!Please keepme updated if you see anyone else around here!

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 09/05/2022 11:54 pm

My only update is that I've reached out to Beautiful Ambition to see what he says.

MemberMember
(@insearch)

Posted : 09/08/2022 9:22 pm

Dr novick was a name floating around in mid 2010ish but I stayed away from him although he seemed very knowledgeable in subcision, his answers seemed off to me. Did you actually get any subcision done or just a filler that he said was "laying the foundation"? I never heard this unless.. I'm not sure if he was the one that also did micro droplet silicone fillers...

I had that done by a crook doc that took my money and I dont even know what he did, possibly injected saline into me and thanked me for covering the weekend getaway trip expense.

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 09/10/2022 7:15 pm

On 9/8/2022 at 10:22 PM, Insearch said:

Dr novick was a name floating around in mid 2010ish but I stayed away from him although he seemed very knowledgeable in subcision, his answers seemed off to me. Did you actually get any subcision done or just a filler that he said was "laying the foundation"? I never heard this unless.. I'm not sure if he was the one that also did micro droplet silicone fillers...

I had that done by a crook doc that took my money and I dont even know what he did, possibly injected saline into me and thanked me for covering the weekend getaway trip expense.

Novick claims he never uses permanent fillers BUT the filler in my face seems unchanged since 2017, which is coming up on 5 years. That's A LONG time even for Juvederm Voluma, which is what he claimed to have used. I never did get a look at the syringe to know for certain. No, he did not perform subcision. He DOES like to use terms like "light" and "field" subcision to imply he's using a subcision technique.

I'm going to consult with Ringpfiel. If Nokor subcision was good enough for Mr. Matt, then it's good enough for me. Something has me wary of the Taylor Liberator technique.

MemberMember
(@orangelaser162gmail-com)

Posted : 09/11/2022 7:49 pm

an objective side effect of taylor liverator is you will have two to three linear scars from the entrypoints. this is not the case with nokor or cannula

MemberMember
(@urbanite)

Posted : 09/12/2022 4:34 pm

I'm going to try to see Ringpfeil again for a consult and to see if she'll treat me. However, she's booked until January 30th!

MemberMember
(@sick_wit_it)

Posted : 10/25/2022 11:41 pm

On 9/12/2022 at 5:34 PM, Urbanite said:

I'm going to try to see Ringpfeil again for a consult and to see if she'll treat me. However, she's booked until January 30th!

How are you doing today ? Any updates