Notifications
Clear all

What to do with my long term deep acne scars?

MemberMember
(@scar_face99)

Posted : 05/21/2019 5:41 pm

I have had acne for a long time and I also have gotten many acne scars for a long time

My active acne is finally under control. At least I think it is. I think I'm ready to start my acne scar treatment journey.

I am from UK and ideally I want to get treated by the best acne scar doctors in UK. 

My questions are... What types of acne scars do I have? I think I have got ice pick, rolling and box scars. I have multiple deep Scars on my cheeks. I also have large pores which are clogged. I also have textured scars on my forehead which is minor compared to my cheeks. 

And also what Doctors can you recommend in UK. I was thinking of going to Dr. Anil? I think he has a clinic in Birmingham as well as London

I was thinking starting with Subcision first then maybe microneedling.

I also need a regimen for my scaring. I get Epiduo gel prescribed to me from NHS but that is mainly for acne, not acne scars.

Thank you

IMG_20190520_000108__01__01.jpg

IMG_20190520_000104__01__01.jpg

MemberMember
(@atrophica)

Posted : 05/22/2019 1:07 am

Hey :)

Dr.Anil would probably be your best option mate. 

You definitely need many sessions of subcision, you seem to have mostly boxcars, some rolling scars.
Filler after subcision, what to get depends on your budget here (more expensive options are better but saline, PRP injection or PRP by chinese cupping would help).
After subcisions RF microneedling would benefit your boxcars. In between sessions you can do glycolic peels and at-home microneedling yourself, will save you some money. Dr's treatments every 3 months, at home treatments once per month - body is slow to heal. 
If you still have clogged pores try salicylic acid peels for those areas, before getting any needling procedures. Subcision is okay if you have some clogged areas (the doctor will use his best judgement).
Regarding epiduo gel: 2 main ingredients- benzoyl peroxide aka BP will fight acne bacteria, preventing breakouts; adapalene is basically differin aka a retinoid, which is good, stimulates collagen, prevents acne etc. When you run out of this gel, get a new prescription for tretinoin (another retinoid). 
Follow dr. Davin Lim on instagram, he's got heaps of information on acne scars and dermatology. Also @beautifulambition will probably give you a more detailed plan when you're patient :) 
Brace yourself for the long run, many people treat for many years, every procedure will provide a gradual improvement.

All the best

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 05/22/2019 10:50 am

@Scar_face99Thank you for posting your pictures helpful.

I would see Dr H consults for your case wich is more severe. His contact details are in the faq, look in the main scar treatments sub, find the pinned post, then UK at the bottom. Several Drs there, perhaps consult with a few like Dr H consults, Dr Anil, etc.

Epiduo gel can be used for acne and scars, it has the active retinoid which causes skin turnover, use this nightly. See a more detailed description below. For clogged pores the glycolic peels mentioned below for scars will help, also use a salicylic acne wash(leave on 5 minutes and wash off daily).

You have severe boxcars, rolling scars, icepicks, and textural scarring, I also see discoloration.

@ Thank for posting the picture.

[Content removed]

Disclaimer: Information and support is not meant to diagnosis, treatment, or cure any health or mental condition and is not a substitute for professional face to face medical care (consult with a few Dr's and pick your favorite one). Posts are for informational purposes only, please consult your personal health care practitioner before engaging in anything discussed.

MemberMember
(@scar_face99)

Posted : 05/22/2019 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies, Atrophica and beautifulambition. Yeah I agree I need many Subcisions first.

Sorry I forgot to mention I also use the Anti blemish Sk:n clinic products which have salicylic acid, mandelic acid and glycolic acid. You can see this on their website. I also use there sunscreen. I alternate this regimen and the epiduo gel from gp. I think it helps with the clogged pores

OK I will do RF microneedling after subcisions.

Yeah I watched many Dr. David Lim videos on YouTube. If only I had the money to go Australia. Maybe in the future I will...

About Dr H consults. Thanks I have researched his clinic and I will start off there before going to Dr. Anil. Hopefully I don't need many treatments there as it is more expensive but worth it if I see improvements. I will ask about Taylor Liberator. I have severe scars so it will take a long time. Thanks

Thanks I will buy the Derminator soon for microneedling. Also I will get acne.org cleanser and moisturiser soon. I remember using them many years ago. I will also get the peels and maybe another sunscreen.

About Tretinoin (Retin A) is it possible to get this via NHS? Or is it private prescription only? I might get it from Dermatica

About the clogged pores. I'm not sure if it still is active acne. There is white stuff coming out. So feels like many whiteheads. I'm not sure if the doctors will allow me to treated if I have active acne, even if mild. I stopped isotretinoin 6 months ago. I was on a low dose. I never get any red or inflamed acne anymore. My skin is mostly severe scaring. Acne is mild. That's why I think I'm finally ready to start treatments

Many thanks. Really appreciate it. I might ask by PMs later beautifulambition.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 05/23/2019 8:34 am

@Scar_face99Welcome! I am not sure about the NHS, I hear you can get it through the online portal. Retin-a, differine, or tretinorin. IF you can't you have resources now.

It's always best to get your acne under control before treating, you don't want infections to spread. I would target this first. Do you have fungal acne, ... perhaps. Try a sulfur soap, or zinc soap, or ketoconazole shampoo. Leave on 5 minutes and then wash off, see if that helps. See a Dr if you can't control it.

Sounds good, BA