Notifications
Clear all

Do you think Isotretinoin can improve scars too?

MemberMember
(@salientdouble)

Posted : 07/28/2018 3:18 pm

Hey,

do you think Isotretinoin can help to produce collagen etc?

ThanksB)

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/28/2018 4:22 pm

1 hour ago, SalientDouble said:

Hey,

do you think Isotretinoin can help to produce collagen etc?

ThanksB)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4560536/

METHODS

20 female patients, aged 45-50 years, with phototypes II-VI, none of whom had experienced menopause, were treated with 20mg oral isotretinoin, 3 days a week, for 12 weeks. They underwent clinical analysis and skin biopsies in the pre-auricular region, while histologic cuts enabled assessment of the solar elastosis level and morphologic analysis.Go to:

RESULTS

Clinically, patients, as well as the researching and the assessor physicians, noticed improvement in skin quality. One patient presented severe solar elastosis, 11 manifested the moderate form, while 8 presented the discreet type. According to histological analysis, 65% of the patients revealed alteration in the distribution and thickness of the elastic fibers, which can be interpreted as a histological improvement, while 60% showed an increase in collagen density. We observed an increase in collagen density, from 51.2% to 57.4%, (p=0.004). At the end of the 12-week follow-up period, this density decreased to 54.7% (p=0.050). There was an increase in the density of elastic fibers, from 26.5% to 31.3%, (p=0.02), which had dropped to 27.5% at the end of the 12-week follow-up period.Go to:

CONCLUSIONS

The study confirmed the role of oral isotretinoin in remodeling the extracellular matrix against photoaging, as well as its durability after 12 weeks, especially when we consider collagen fibers.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/28/2018 7:23 pm

No from helping thousands I do not think it helps "pre-existing" scars, as you know many people have thin skin and issues after tane and they must heal, in that regard there is regeneration with "time." Now if you mean retin-a/tretinorin/differin (in the same class of drugs) then yes topically that can help. I would not be taking Accutane for pre-exisiting scars, not worth the side effects. Why use a sledge hammer if you need a hammer for a nail.

MemberMember
(@salientdouble)

Posted : 08/08/2018 10:49 am

On 29.7.2018 at 2:23 AM, beautifulambition said:

No from helping thousands I do not think it helps "pre-existing" scars, as you know many people have thin skin and issues after tane and they must heal, in that regard there is regeneration with "time." Now if you mean retin-a/tretinorin/differin (in the same class of drugs) then yes topically that can help. I would not be taking Accutane for pre-exisiting scars, not worth the side effects. Why use a sledge hammer if you need a hammer for a nail.

Maybe use accutane to help produce collagen after subcision? Do you think that`s interesting? Even though it slows down the healing process.

Of course any forum members can answer. Thanks

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 08/08/2018 11:06 pm

Retin a / differin, yes I reccomend this all the time nightly. (This is a lighter, topical form)
Accutane, NO - who would treat with thinned out skin, side effects, and months to get the skin back to normal.

Retin A helps many regardless of having treatments. Accutane is for emergency acne. cysts, and facial irruption conditions.

Please Google the differences so you can see what they are between topical and the medication. The medication is NOT used for scar treatment. The Topical is!

MemberMember
(@salientdouble)

Posted : 08/09/2018 4:10 pm

Alright. The thing I don`t understand is that accutane (or similar products) contains tretinoin.

...and the topical products like differin contains adapalen (lighter form of tretinoin). Other creams with tretinoin are also available.

So...can`t accutane support the topical form. Isn`t the ingredients lighter but works still the way (aside from side effects)?