Notifications
Clear all

Question regarding healing of an abrasion

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 07/23/2018 1:18 pm

I recently had an abrasion (a slight carpet burn). I don't believe it was too deep because there was badly any blood or scab formation, just looked more or less like a rash. My concern is that it has been 14 days and the area looks like the epidermis of the skin still needs to grow back in a bit. I have been applying Mupirocin and covering it should I try something like Tegaderm? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/23/2018 8:19 pm

Try castor oil and or comfrey. These are healing. Also manuka honey. I cut my finger a few days ago and it healed nicely.

Mupirocin just prevent's infection. One can cover with silicone like scar products once the wound is fully healed and the scab has healed up. Silicone is a very slow process (months). You might want to try retin a as well once it's healed several months after as it stimulates collagen.

Allow proper healing, ... using to many thing to soon will cause more damage than good.

Wounds as you know PIE can take months to heal for some and up to a year.

Comfrey and Castor oil are natural ways to stimulate the body.

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 07/23/2018 8:35 pm

14 minutes ago, beautifulambition said:

Try castor oil and or comfrey. These are healing. Also manuka honey. I cut my finger a few days ago and it healed nicely.

Mupirocin just prevent's infection. One can cover with silicone like scar products once the wound is fully healed and the scab has healed up. Silicone is a very slow process (months). You might want to try retin a as well once it's healed several months after as it stimulates collagen.

Allow proper healing, ... using to many thing to soon will cause more damage than good.

Thanks, I think I am going to try the manuka honey. I think something like silicone is unnecessary, it was pretty minor and barely any bleeding/scab. Just seems inflamed.

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 07/24/2018 2:20 pm

18 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

Is there anyway I can tell if it's just pink skin or is it missing a layer? It doesn't make sense to be missing a layer because it did not bleed/scab/blister etc. But when I look up close I see an outline, is this just some inflammation? It's been 2 weeks, so I'm assuming epithelizaton should be complete.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/24/2018 9:29 pm

@mjg713There is no way to know how your body will heal this spot. Dermatologists manipulate the situation with steroids taking away inflammation. Natural ways to boost the bodies ability to heal I put above ^.

Some people just take a very long time to heal, months and even up to a year. This is controlled by your body.

If you are overly concerned about the situation please see a dermatologist as they can better address and assess the situation in person.

There is always pink when the body heals, ... You could even have pitting and it heals perfectly over time with proper care. Ongoing Inflammation and infection are the too major causes of scarring. But many people mistake our bodies slow ability to heal, pinkness and scabbing is part of the process.

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 07/24/2018 10:28 pm

57 minutes ago, beautifulambition said:
@mjg713There is no way to know how your body will heal this spot. Dermatologists manipulate the situation with steroids taking away inflammation. Natural ways to boost the bodies ability to heal I put above ^.

Some people just take a very long time to heal, months and even up to a year. This is controlled by your body.

If you are overly concerned about the situation please see a dermatologist as they can better address and assess the situation in person.

There is always pink when the body heals, ... You could even have pitting and it heals perfectly over time with proper care. Ongoing Inflammation and infection are the too major causes of scarring. But many people mistake our bodies slow ability to heal, pinkness and scabbing is part of the process.

Thank you, have just been getting a little paranoid with the "timeline of healing" I'm reading on Google of 14 days. I bought some manuka honey and will try it out, do you have any brand recommendations?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/25/2018 7:44 am

I don't have a brand recommendation as Manuka is monitored mainly by New Zealand. Look for higher numbers MGO or potency level. I am sure there is great stuff if your in Europe or Canada as well. You want it as clean as possible and organic / wildcrafted. NZ Manuka is used on bandages as well.

BA

MemberMember
(@mjg713)

Posted : 07/25/2018 2:35 pm

6 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

I don't have a brand recommendation as Manuka is monitored mainly by New Zealand. Look for higher numbers MGO or potency level. I am sure there is great stuff if your in Europe or Canada as well. You want it as clean as possible and organic / wildcrafted. NZ Manuka is used on bandages as well.

BA

I have a question for you, if you say that it heals perfectly after some time. Then why do acne scars scar with that pitted look? Why don't they heal?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/25/2018 9:13 pm

@mjg713Please Goto a dermatologist if you have any concerns. Acne scars form from extended inflammation, pus, bacteria, and destruction of the hair follicle unit. Extended wounding can cause many problems. The body then heals by basket weaving new "scar tissue" as a protection mechanism.

Acne scars are fully damaged or scarred areas of skin, often the underlying structures were effected including tethering, fat, dermal tissue, etc... It depends on your bodies ability to heal, health issues, severity of scarring, ... cysts normally are worse than a small pimple. Keloids are excess scar tissue your body produces (auto-immune response).

See the FAQ - top post of the acne scar sub, ... goto the anatomy pictures and what causes acne scarring section at the top.

BA