Notifications
Clear all

Dr. Novick - bad result & The Truth About Novick

MemberMember
(@kitsliv45)

Posted : 02/01/2019 10:04 am

6 hours ago, currybeard said:

hi there, this is the second review of dr novick that is bad I'm glad I've just read it. I also wonder if bad reviews are pulled as there must surely be more, realself is completely dodgy in my opinion. I wanted to know though please aside from the money side of things, were the treatments really not that good? my scars are shallow down each side of my nose (caused by laser burns so I won't go near laser again) so as they were shallow I was hoping for a more subtle subsicion and filler, I would go and see dr chu in london who has a great rep. but apparently he only does the deeper sub. with a large needle and doesn't do filler. I'm not even sure my scars are tethered so need someone to confirm, they are not deep or ice pick enough for tca cross. I guess what omg asking is if you think dr. novicks actual procedures are still okay, hes been doing subsicion for so long I assumed he would be an expert, thank you.

p.s. I'm in the uk and was going to fly to his israel clinic, flights are cheap.

I think his subcision technique is fine. It's just that it's not worth the cost when there are better doctors like Dr. Rullan who do it for a much cheaper price. Dr. Novick isnot the best bang for your buck,but if you have money to spend and heis the only doctor availablein you area, then I guess you have no other option.

Also, the treatment prices in Israel might be cheaper. NYC price is crazy because of NYC premium and the city rent. The only problem is you won't know the treatment prices unless you go in for an expensive consultation.

I also just saw the post by @Nina22, and the same thing happened to me. I had a field subcision with fillers with literally no improvement. My face was swollen for a few days so it looked like the scars had raised, but after the swelling went down and weeks went by, I saw no visible improvement. Just an empty feeling and an empty wallet. If he recommends this procedure to you, run!

MemberMember
(@thanosisahero)

Posted : 02/01/2019 10:50 am

Yeah NYC is crazy price but dr. Novick with his experience and the hundreds of scars he has worked, I would feel comfortable going to him even if its costly. After all, its my face and I would go for the best.

but all these negative threads, honestly, is really discouraging. Obviously, a doctor with many experience like him will also have bad review and unhappy clients as no one is always satisfy. But I am nervous and wary after seeing these as I have schedule appointment with him.

MemberMember
(@kitsliv45)

Posted : 02/01/2019 11:00 am

At the end of the day, it's your money and your face. I totally understand how it feels to be at the end of your ropes and looking for any glimmer of light in terms of improving scars. I've been there. Hell, Iam still there... The only thing is that I feel like Dr. Novick preys on and takes advantage of desperate and insecure people like us who are willing to fork out large sums of money to improve scars. I think this is highly unethical and can't trust him anymore, but if you are comfortable with a doctor like that treating your face, by all means, go for it.

I aminterested in hearing your what your experience would be like if you do end up seeing him.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/01/2019 1:32 pm

@SibelSubcision on the nose can be done, it's very risky with the veins and arteries there. Chu chooses not to do it as he uses Nokor. See if Emil will.

MemberMember
(@kitsliv45)

Posted : 02/01/2019 1:39 pm

I have been a lurker on this forum and just made an account to post my review.I full heartedly agree that people should do their own research and make decisions on their own volition. We are all big boys and girls. I have no idea why you are getting so defensive...

My point of bringingDr. Lim into this was that lasers are a viable option for some scars and people. It is not the only treatment option he recommends, but it is a viable option.The fact that Dr. Novick outrightly disowns lasers as phony is gimmicky.

And I also mentioned that there are loads of positive reviews on Dr. Novick and that people should do their own research. I only wanted to present my experience because there aren't many negative reviews posted about him. I don't know why you are getting so defensive when all I said was that you have recommended Dr. Novick on this forum, which you have... I didn't say anything that was slanderous or untrue about you.

Also, any sources on movie stars coming in to see him or is that just hearsay? I am skeptical that is true because he would probably have gained a reputation like Dr. Paul Jarrod Frank or Dr. Emer.

I mentioned that many doctors charge high consultation fees which forces you to get a procedure. I still think that this is unethical regardless.

MemberMember
(@currybeard)

Posted : 02/01/2019 4:06 pm

@beautifulambitionI think you need to not be so critical about this, people are allowed to write bad reviews as you say not everyone will be pleased, and people who are seeking treatment are rightly going to want to research their doctor, good and bad. The thing I am skeptical about are the real self reviews, realself were fined as they were caught employing people specifically to write bogus good reviews for the doctors that pay them the most money, but they are still doing it. Look through Doctor Novick's reviews and all the other 'star contributors', they have near perfect reviews, the vast majority from people who have done 1 post only, that review, no photos or any other posts on the procedure, and most of them sound like a short marketing speil, it is this we are warned to look out for as these reviews are likely not genuine, this is not rubbish it happens. Now this doesn't mean that he's a crap doctor, but you have to agree it is worth questioning and there must be some bad reviews, why aren't they there?there is extensive info. online about realself being caught enabling this and how they earn their money from specific doctors, its a way of marketing for the doctors and they apparently pay thousands in some cases per month for the exposure. I do have to wonder how someone like Novick in such demand with celebrities and New York socialites etc a) has the time to be on realself so mcuhb) would need/ want to be bothered with it. These are red flags, reviews can be fabricated, many people have said they they tried to put negative reviews on realself and they weren't published as the doctor had 5 stars. Sadly, there are many money hungry doctors out there and cosmetic surgery is notorious for it as there is so much money involved and we are vulnerable, like you say look at the ones that push lasers, I've experienced it, my own stupidity looking back when I think of how little I was told about side effects etc, but when you're desperate it's hard, you make yourself trust the doctor. Some reviews will be bad, they should ALL be published and accepted as much as the good reviews, and more to the point be genuine.

I don't really understand your role on this website, 3500 posts - are you employedby acne.org? Not a criticism, just curious how it works.

kitsliv45 liked
MemberMember
(@nina22)

Posted : 02/04/2019 6:21 am

@beautifulambitionjust to be clear I was not just unhappy with the amount of filler he used. I felt botched and scammed - I still have two small pigmented holes after his cannula that I have no idea how to fix. - I never got this with other doctors using cannulas or Nokor.

These two new scars made me feel so desperate, I wish he would be more conservative and carefull when choosing the right cannula size and technique for my skin rather than the amount offiller..

I would like to see these celebrities in NYE who getsatisfactory or premiumresults with him, also his office in Israel seemed a bit dodgy.. and thats my overall feeling about him. I wouldnt trust him to treat me again. There are more users on this forum who didnt get any results with him.. I was unlucky enough to get more scars.. so I am more motivated to talkabout it.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/04/2019 7:15 am

@Nina22Thank you for letting us know your experience, I agree that must have been terrible. I truly don't think Novick has the skill or the desire frankly to deal with your scar type, Dr Emil would be a much better fit. Many don't like Chu because he does not do energy devices, ... you see how difficult that is to judge a practitioner when some like them and some do not. But when overwhelming feedback of bad results come back I have to reevaluate recommending them. Sadly this has happened with all the providers we have on the list for various reasons. So I like to make sure the data is there for other's to make their choice freely.

I do agree you could get a larger volume of filler at a cheaper price elsewhere. Sometimes the best treatment one can get is to stay local to where they live, international trips can be so disheartening when they go wrong or there is not enough time to do proper treatment. You can't go back to the office and say fix the mistake you made please. As such everyone should do filler locally if they can. Subcision is truly the hardest thing to find for many.

I volunteer for the good of the acne scar suffer. I have put out lots oftime and effort to help others. So you know where my heart is. I am sad that I now have received reports of Novick charging some users to much. I have made a decision to put him as a general practitioner in the acne scar list. Buyer be ware, please research all sites and data. Often Dr's pay off negative reviews. No one wants to be worse than where they started but that is often the case. I will try to update some of my past recommendations to him to check the FAQ for updated providers.

I have found some other NYC Dr's and will post this week, so anyone who needs to treat nearby has some other options.

Sadly these Dr's perform a service for us, but they loose site of that intent to make people better and get caught up in other goals. Providers constantly change, trends fade, and I hear good and bad about each practitioner, ... even the best ones. In my view Acne Scars are disfiguring, causing one great grief with scars internally and externally that must be treated. They should be covered by medical insurancelike any other medically necessary procedure, as they truly aren't a cosmetic expense.

Sincerely,

BA

Nina22 liked
MemberMember
(@currybeard)

Posted : 02/06/2019 6:19 pm

On 2/4/2019 at 12:15 PM, beautifulambition said:

@Nina22Thank you for letting us know your experience, I agree that must have been terrible. I truly don't think Novick has the skill or the desire frankly to deal with your scar type, Dr Emil would be a much better fit. Many don't like Chu because he does not do energy devices, ... you see how difficult that is to judge a practitioner when some like them and some do not. But when overwhelming feedback of bad results come back I have to reevaluate recommending them. Sadly this has happened with all the providers we have on the list for various reasons. So I like to make sure the data is there for other's to make their choice freely.

I do agree you could get a larger volume of filler at a cheaper price elsewhere. Sometimes the best treatment one can get is to stay local to where they live, international trips can be so disheartening when they go wrong or there is not enough time to do proper treatment. You can't go back to the office and say fix the mistake you made please. As such everyone should do filler locally if they can. Subcision is truly the hardest thing to find for many.

I volunteer for the good of the acne scar suffer. I have put out lots oftime and effort to help others. So you know where my heart is. I am sad that I now have received reports of Novick charging some users to much. I have made a decision to put him as a general practitioner in the acne scar list. Buyer be ware, please research all sites and data. Often Dr's pay off negative reviews. No one wants to be worse than where they started but that is often the case. I will try to update some of my past recommendations to him to check the FAQ for updated providers.

I have found some other NYC Dr's and will post this week, so anyone who needs to treat nearby has some other options.

Sadly these Dr's perform a service for us, but they loose site of that intent to make people better and get caught up in other goals. Providers constantly change, trends fade, and I hear good and bad about each practitioner, ... even the best ones. In my view Acne Scars are disfiguring, causing one great grief with scars internally and externally that must be treated. They should be covered by medical insurancelike any other medically necessary procedure, as they truly aren't a cosmetic expense.

Sincerely,

BA

that's such a lovely responce, and good for you.

MemberMember
(@obi-wan)

Posted : 02/09/2019 12:38 am

I have been absent for the past few months, but reviewing the pictures - here are my humble comments.

1. Regardless of the operator, the photos show textural changes- shallow scars, and in certain lighting deeper scars. The amount of tethering can ONLY be ascertained during the subcision procedure.

2. If atrophy is significant than the amount of filler MUST be substantial to correct. If tethering is minimal then subcision, especially applied in the traditional Nokor method or in one or two layer will unfortunately fail. I think there is a way to improve the superficial component - namely the use of low viscosity fillers such as Restylane , Bolletro HYDRO, or even Volbella and deliver the agent very superficially - namely scraping the undersurface of the dermis. This requires a particular skill set, and is very different to normal 'release' subcision.

3. The use of energy devices is appropriate and desirable IN THIS CONTEXT. Why? Because photograph shows shallow linear, undulating scars. Devices such as RF, erbium and CO2 delivered to the correct depth can help immensely. If one is apprehensive about the aggressiveness of lasers- you could even start off with NA (Non ablative) lasers in the 1927 wavelength, or 1540 diode drive Clear n Brilliant- overpass the scars. Add superficial subcsion with fine fillers, and you WILL get a result. Many doors to the same destination. I wish you well. I have not met Nelson, I can not comment on his traits nor his talent, but one has to acknowledge the use of energy devices where they are appropriate. In your case, they are.

MemberMember
(@acousticraspberry)

Posted : 02/21/2019 3:59 pm

I have booked an appointment with Dr. Novick for my deep pitted scars on my temples and right cheek. Now after reading this thread I am a little bit concerned as I am flying from Canada. I have read tons of reviews on realself which are positive and also he was the only Dr. that had the most percentage for "Subcision". I have tried Fraxel laser and RF Microneedling which I believe made my scars even worse and significantly increased. Now Im not sure if i should go for it or not.

MemberMember
(@nina22)

Posted : 02/22/2019 7:24 am

@AcousticRaspberryif you doonly individual subcisions you might be fine - he says you can only expect around 20 % improvement on average after individual subcision and then he tries to persuade you to do the field subcisioninstead as this works much better, he claims, and he cant explain why - I advise you against this as it is much more expensive and me and others saw no result from this.. (plus new scars in my case, as he uses one point to reach through your entire cheek)..

MemberMember
(@nina22)

Posted : 02/22/2019 7:43 am

@Obi wan thank you for your advice. I think that some of my deepest scars are tethered and many are not.I have tried CO2 fractional laser available in my country (ablative with recovery time 7-10 days several sessions throughout my 20s, I even tried fully ablative CO2 when I was 16 with recovery time of 3 weeks whenmy deepest scars were already present, but then had moreacne and smaller textural scars), the lasers helped me with scar pigmentation and skin texture but didnt really help with the depth of my scars.

I have never tried RF needling maybe that would be better but recentlyadmins here highlight the adverse effects ofDermapen, isn t Infini even more risky? I had a very poor reaction to Dermapen I would say not even textural improvements as seen with lasers.

Also, forthe small holes after cannula, do you think laser could help to shrink them?

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 02/22/2019 12:22 pm

@AcousticRaspberry20% of improvement per session is good, remember often we say 4 sessions of subcision - treatment is progressive.

Added several new CAN practitioners, see the FAQ.

This is a general note on comparison, I am glad your doing your due diligence:

Your not like anyone else on these forums. I cannot over-analyze every choice, health concern, and action done in your life. It all depends on how you heal. I Get your frustration.

No scar case is the same, we are not clones, one person could do a million procedures and not be you, your all different ages, ethnic backgrounds, healing capabilities, plans for treatment, outcomes, different surgeons (they treat differently as well), etc, we could go on and on. The point being is never compare yourself to someone else. Sure you can learn from their experience but do we really know every single detail about what was done and why - no. If someone heals poorly or had a poor Dr they typically hang around here.

Goto a board certified Dr for help, ... if you want get 3 opinions and choose the one you like best. Your cases have nothing to do with each other or anyone else here, everyone is a individual with a different story.

It takes time and heal (this is a marathon and not a race, many do treatments every 3 months over 3 years time),... it's slow with lots of treatments.

MemberMember
(@neofight)

Posted : 02/22/2019 12:47 pm

@kitsliv45absolutely nailed the Novick review above. I had multiple subcision treatments with him, and have stopped treating. He did not treat my shallower scars any different than my deeper ones.He isnot great at tailoringtreatment to your scars. I never got the sense he wasinvested in my success. And yes, he is REALLY pricey.

But in terms of technique, Igot amazing results in my deepest rolling scars. I think he is great if your scar type fits his technique - if you have deep rolling scars where manual revision will do the trick, go to him. I recommend him. If and when you are happy with those deeper pits, and you want to treat smaller ones, look elsewhere. Im still searching for someone in the northeast who is bestfor smaller rolling scars, icepicks, etc. Its hard to find.

I did not have a cannular sub with him, but the sense I get from all these posts is that he is good at spot treating with nokor sub, but his cannular technique is not as good. But again, Im just trying to spot a pattern here. Not actually sure.

kitsliv45 liked
MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 02/23/2019 7:14 pm

Just out of curiousity, how much does Novick charge for subcision and filler? You might help a lot of people reading if you state his costs, since he will not reveal his prices upfront. I never had any intention of seeing him (I don't live in the US), but it would be fascinating if people could list their cost of treatment while visiting Novick.

MemberMember
(@horus)

Posted : 02/23/2019 7:43 pm

@ScarRight He charged me $300 per subcision and $975 for field subcision.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 02/23/2019 8:52 pm

1 hour ago, Horus said:

@ScarRight He charged me $300 per subcision and $975 for field subcision.

With filler? That is still probably cheaper than say a Davin Lim.

MemberMember
(@noa27)

Posted : 02/24/2019 2:50 am

7 hours ago, ScarRight said:

Just out of curiousity, how much does Novick charge for subcision and filler? You might help a lot of people reading if you state his costs, since he will not reveal his prices upfront. I never had any intention of seeing him (I don't live in the US), but it would be fascinating if people could list their cost of treatment while visiting Novick.

QuanHenry told us in another thread it was a couple of grand.

MemberMember
(@horus)

Posted : 02/24/2019 8:46 am

11 hours ago, ScarRight said:

With filler? That is still probably cheaper than say a Davin Lim.

Yeah that was with filler.

5 hours ago, Noa27 said:

QuanHenry told us in another thread it was a couple of grand.

At $300 per scar you could easily spend a couple grand. I think Quanhenry also had some kind of filler for volume.

MemberMember
(@acousticraspberry)

Posted : 03/08/2019 3:42 pm

On 2/22/2019 at 7:24 AM, Nina22 said:

@AcousticRaspberryif you doonly individual subcisions you might be fine - he says you can only expect around 20 % improvement on average after individual subcision and then he tries to persuade you to do the field subcisioninstead as this works much better, he claims, and he cant explain why - I advise you against this as it is much more expensive and me and others saw no result from this.. (plus new scars in my case, as he uses one point to reach through your entire cheek)..

@Nina22I actually just came back from Dr. Novick's clinic. He is very knowledgable about scars and is very flexible as well. I have a few deep box scars on my temple that had individual subcision done with filler. I will post pics of before and after. He is very pricey though ill have to admit.

MemberMember
(@exclusiveset)

Posted : 04/21/2019 12:07 am

About 4 weeks ago, I had a fieldsubcision procedure done by Dr. Novick. From what Ive been told,this is not the traditional type ofsubcision that we all know. I seea noticeable difference mainly on my cheekbones and how they reflect light betterand am happy with the procedure done however my main concern on my cheeks are ice pick scarring and the fieldsubcision is not meantfor that type of scarring. I would like to start with my tca cross however I know one should wait the full 6 weeks for the collagen to grow... I am just wondering, considering that the fieldsubcision is not meant for icepick scarring and I know there will be no improvement in that, can I start doing my tca cross?

MemberMember
(@superburrito)

Posted : 04/21/2019 1:20 am

With Dr Rullan, I do my Cross at the same time as subcision. Since subcision is under the skin and crossis on the surface, I dont think youd need to wait 6 weeks. Definitely wait longer before another subcision.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/21/2019 9:40 am

@ExclusiveSetGetting a lot of mixed feedback from Novick lately. Field sub will do nada for your icepicks. You actually are supposed to wait 3 months after you have subcsion done. I know Novick rushes things $$$$, you can follow his plan if you wish as he is not open to other's ideas or data. I would not stick to just Novick personally, there are many Dr's in NYC, checkout the FAQ top of the scar treatments sub pinned, bottom of that thread are Dr's. You don't have to stay with a Dr you can do treatments spread between Drs or you can do a few consultations and see if you like someone else better. This is what I suggest so you pick you who like best. Novick is stuck doing things his way, works for some.

MemberMember
(@exclusiveset)

Posted : 04/21/2019 11:14 pm

@beautifulambitionso youre saying I should wait 3 months until I can do TCA cross? I dont necessarily think Novick is rushing me. He told me to do the field sub and then come back in 6 weeks and decide how I want to proceed. The next available appointment he had was about8weeks from when I had the field sub done and honestly I dont want to wait that long to get started on my ice pick scarring. I might go with Tatiana Khrom for tca cross but dont want to make the appointment if it will interfere with my potential healing..