Notifications
Clear all

What can you do about fresh pits?

MemberMember
(@thepwhisp)

Posted : 06/30/2018 3:04 pm

Basically I had an average sized pimple that completely dried out and ended up turning into a big scab.  About half of the scab has fallen off and I can see there is a surface pit there that is still pretty raw.  Does the rawness mean that the skin is still forming?

Is there a chance the pit will still fill in a bit without intervention?

Is there a good treatment for fresh scars that can help fill in the pits at all?

Thanks.

I will upload a picture at some point.

20180630_163753.jpg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 06/30/2018 8:26 pm

Castor Oil is good, Comfrey Balm or Ointment is even better. Also applying Liquid Propolis over the wound proves very effective.

thepwhisp liked
MemberMember
(@thepwhisp)

Posted : 06/30/2018 10:01 pm

Do you think straight up Vaseline would work or should I order some castor oil from amazon?

Any bran silica that works well? Also what do you think of comfrey balm?

Thank you once again.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 06/30/2018 10:21 pm

Think of it this way. Vaseline heals the wound. Castor Oil heals wound and regenerates scar tissue. Comfrey leaf, on the other hand, is known to SPEED UP healing process. Hence, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use both Comfrey and Castor Oil.

thepwhisp liked
MemberMember
(@thepwhisp)

Posted : 06/30/2018 11:28 pm

This is what I found. Do you think these would work well or should I try something different?

Silicone patches https://www.amazon.com/ScarAway-Professional-Silicone-Treatment-Packaging/dp/B001AJ4L1E/

Castor oil

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186U9736/

@Sirius Lee I found castor oil +Silicone patches but wasn't really sure about the comfrey leaf. Do you have a link by any chance to some comfrey leaf on amazon?

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/01/2018 2:11 am

2 hours ago, thepwhisp said:
@Sirius Lee I found castor oil +Silicone patches but wasn't really sure about the comfrey leaf. Do you have a link by any chance to some comfrey leaf on amazon?

Search for "Dr.Christopher's Comfrey Ointment". BTW I've used this ointment pretty consistently for the last 4 months and have noticed a modest scar improvement. So I know for certain that it works. Just don't expect a miracle overnight.

Oh, one more. As already alluded to above, Liquid Propolis is another excellent healing agent. A few months ago, I hit my head against an object and ended up with a small tear in the skin. I immediately applied Propolis and repeated for the next few days. I can barely see the scar now.

thepwhisp liked
MemberMember
(@machiavelli)

Posted : 07/01/2018 2:20 am

Silicone gel sheeting is not indicated for atrophic (indented) scars, their only use is for hypertropic (raised) or keloid scars, and it's good for those because it hydrates the outermost layer of the epidermis (Stratum corneum) which in turn modulates fibrolast production and *decreases collagen production* - which is not a problem if you're treating raised scars, as it is excess collagen that is the problem there, but with atrophic scars it is the *loss* of collagen, elastin or dermal fat.

Citation: https://sci-hub.tw/10.1007/s00266-007-9030-9 - pages 6, 7 and eight.

If you have any studies that show SGS is effective for atrophic scars, feel free to post them.

You had the best idea yourself in my opinion, vaseline, or infalodan if you have it. Once the epidermis is intact again apply tretinoin (Retin-a) and apply a homemade (commerical ones are ripoffs at best and at worst useless due to oxidation) Vitamin C serum, 5-20% in concentration. Alternate the nights you apply them. Keep the serum in the fridge in an opaque container, it'll have a shelf life of around 14 days before it oxidises and is ineffective, so just make small batches

Buy L-Ascorbic Acid powder online, making it is simple ratio work 1g powder for 9g (ml) of pre-boiled (to expel oxygen) warm but not hot water would make a 10% solution for example.

Here's a paper on the optimal % for absorption which also touches on the benefits of using it. http://sci-hub.tw/10.1046/j.1524-4725.2001.00264.x

Also wear a facial sunscreen and moisturiser every day (yes, even in the winter), this goes doubly if you're using Retin-A, if you're not going to use a sunscreen, don't use it.

In about 2/3 months you'll be able to make a call on whether you want or need to pursue treatments for it

MemberMember
(@thepwhisp)

Posted : 07/01/2018 3:22 am

@machiavelli I appreciate this a lot. Definitely extremely informative. I just bought the silicon sheets and the castor oil but it doesn't hurt to just keep them on my shelf regardless. As of now I'll roll with the vaseline for at least a week and see where I stand. I have the vitamin C but I may have to rebuy as it's a year or two old. I also just checked out retin a creams and it seems like they have loads of positive reviews.

MemberMember
(@machiavelli)

Posted : 07/01/2018 4:07 am

I did say once the epidermis is intact again, ie when it's no longer a wound. And that link doesn't mention atrophic scarring

MemberMember
(@machiavelli)

Posted : 07/01/2018 4:33 am

You just temporarily locked the thread, how hot-headed. You've done this with me before, you're not mature enough for mod privs.

We are talking about scars, or more specifically what can be done to minimise damage and optimise healing to /avoid scarring/, hell, we're even in the scar subforum, OP clearly knows what could potentially happen. Nobody said apply Retin-A to raw skin, you're attacking something that was never even suggested - strawmanning.

There is no evidence of infection in that photograph.