Notifications
Clear all

How common is laser damage from C02?

MemberMember
(@saharra)

Posted : 09/04/2017 5:34 pm

Hello,
I'm a 30 year old female and I have very large pores all over my face, especially my t zone.I also have verythin skin.I tried topicals which give a littleimprovement but if I don't use them for several days my skin goes right back to where it was. I have been told by several dermatologist that lasers are the only way to shrink them. I also have a lot of acne scarring.
I had an appointment with a plastic surgeon last week that said I would see improvement from one session of fractional C02 laser resurfacingand excision on some of the deeper scars. He has really good reviews andI'm really tempted to try this because I'm so unhappy with my skin. I'm just afraid of making my skin thinner with more lines and worse texture. How common is this with aC02 laser and is it repairable?

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@ryan92)

Posted : 09/04/2017 7:58 pm

I did two fractional laser treatment, and it made my pores bigger and texture worse. It revealed pores everywhere. Ive been told infini rf (microneedling radiofrequentie) or clear+brilliant laser would work best.

MemberMember
(@jacob-a)

Posted : 09/05/2017 1:18 pm

From medical studies, actual scarring occurs in about 2-4% of people treated. Subjective appearance differs from people to people. Although I doubt you will need one treatment unless you have very mild scarring you will most likely need multiple sessions.

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 09/07/2017 6:12 am

I will speak about my own personal experience. I had 1 mixto co2 procedure on my cheeks, and it made things worse, no doubt. I had horrible hyperpigmentation that hung around for nearly a year, and to this day I can still see the faint demarcation from where the laser was used on my cheeks. It also left a strange texture like little holes on my cheeks. The little tiny laser holes improved over time, which I attribute to tretinoin / retin-a use and good skin care, but it's still nothing like pre-laser. I've come to the conclusion that fractional co2 lasers leave this odd texture precisely because it removes skin in tiny columns, and the skin may not heal correctly. I'm glad I never did another one because my skin clearly could not handle it.

Мyth and Ryan92 liked
MemberMember
(@obi-wan)

Posted : 09/11/2017 4:54 am

User dependent. Less chances if provided by certified and trained doctor. If you are talking fully ablative, how do you define side effect or laser damage? If one is treating box car scars in say type 5, and you consider skin colour changes or PIH as damage, then the % goes to 100%, as it is an expected side effect. If one is treating fractional ablative at say a low density e.g.. 5% and using moderate settings, say 60 mj the chances of scarring including prolonged PIH is low. Really depends on your skin type, idiosyncratic reactions, scar depth, location, genetic propensity to keloid or hypertrophic scars, and the skill of the operator.