Notifications
Clear all

Microneedling vs Fraxel for my Scars

MemberMember
(@atory)

Posted : 12/21/2016 6:17 pm

I had cystic acne on my chin in high school, I went to an asthetician who extracted the big pimples with a needle, yes BIG mistake, but I didn't know any better. Finally my acne had cleared up but I have been left with ice pick scars that I have tried to get rid of over the years (I am 28 years old now) and I have tried Maderma scar cream but that doesn't do anything for old scars. I have tried a session on microneedling two months ago (found a Groupon that had great reviews for this asthetician who does the treaments in New York where i live). She told me that it will take 8 sessions to see improvement but told me they will never completely go away, which I know, but I just need improvement. She also told me I had to get a facial to clean my skin prior to th first treatment, so I did, I paid $120 for that plus the microneedling session, well after one microneedling session of course you cannot see any improvement but I did notice my skin otherwise being smoother and less tired. I went to my derma doctor for another issue and he told me that microneeding is a waste of time for my scars and that I should do non-ablative fraxel in his office(I paid $65 for the consult on this that will go towards the first session of the fraxel plus I have to get a facial to clean my skin prior to the session ($100, not much money but still I am tired of paying for this service when I don't need it as I do not have active acne and my skin is fine otherwise). I did consider Fraxel before doing microneedling but am so scared of any bad side effects. He told me that the nonabalative fraxel will only help 40% which is fine, I want to improve my skin, I know it will never be perfect. He also told me to consider excision of each scar and then fraxel after, which I am certainly not considering. Can someone tell me what is best for my skin? I have posted my scars on my blog, link here. Any help will be appreciated asI really am lost and would like to stop paying money for something that will not give me results. Thank you!
[Edited link out]

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/21/2016 9:22 pm

I cannot tell from the pictures, they are not taken using shadow like is described in the faq below. You could buy your own microneedle machine called the derminator and do tca peels. I cannot tell if they are tethered spots and need filler and subcision.

There are some great derms in NYC, do a search for new york and look in the scar fourm, they were recently mentioned.

No you do not need facials, that is silly, why start with expensive fraxel when you can microneedle and tca at home,

More info on all of this is in the faq below