Notifications
Clear all

My Dermaroller experience - blog

MemberMember
(@3wishes14)

Posted : 05/04/2016 3:37 pm

Hi guys! Won't bore you with my acne history.. if you'd like to know, check out my roaccutane log from last year. I thought i'd start a log of my scar treatment and hope to get pictures up... although I will admit I have yet to take any pictures of my scars as I find it really hard to do as I am so self conscious. 

Today was the first day I have ever sought any treatment for my acne scars. I have mild-moderate scarring on my temples and left hand cheek.

I am having dermarolling done by a professional - a consultant and plastic surgeon in my nearest city. I went to him for a consultation and he felt dermarolling (which is what I wanted) was appropriate for my scar types and severity. He suggested 3 sessions, 6 weeks apart, followed by a chemical peel at the end.

Today I had my first treatment! :) I was surprised how long they left the numbing cream on, literally like 30-45 minutes I think? Felt like a long time. The actual treatment can't have taken any longer than 10 minutes. The consultant was surprised at how my thick my skin is which he said was meaning he was having to apply more pressure - as a result, I found the experience quite painful actually as I could feel the roller pressing against my skull! He varied the directions and speed... most of the time though he was rolling with lots of pressure very quickly/rapidly. I really trust my consultant. The experience I had was quite different to videos/vlogs of people i've seen do this themselves at home and to be honest, I can't get my head around why people would want to take the risk of doing 'DIY' dermarolling!

I came out of the appt very red and quite bloody! My face was also quite stingy for the first hour, and even though it's been about 5 hours since my treatment, it's still a little stingy when I smile or laugh. Ill keep you all updated!

MemberMember
(@somethingsomethingagain)

Posted : 05/04/2016 5:31 pm

All that you're experiencing I'd say you're supposed to! That stingy feeling I can relate to ;) I haven't had great results from rolling/stamping yet, but as long as I'm sure it's not worsening anything, I'll keep doing it.

Good luck with your treatment!

P.S. You posted the same topic twice, I think...

MemberMember
(@3wishes14)

Posted : 06/15/2016 3:34 pm

On 4 May 2016 at 11:31 PM, somethingsomethingagain said:

All that you're experiencing I'd say you're supposed to! That stingy feeling I can relate to |:;) I haven't had great results from rolling/stamping yet, but as long as I'm sure it's not worsening anything, I'll keep doing it.

Good luck with your treatment!

P.S. You posted the same topic twice, I think...

Thanks for your support!! 

So today I had my second treatment. This time my consultant used a 1.5mm roller (not sure what he was using last time, 0.5 maybe) and it was a LOT more painful but probably mostly because the numbing cream was only left on for about 10 minutes this time! He said my skin is extremely thick and elastic and was commenting whilst rolling how much better it was rolling with a 1.5. He also rolled over a much larger area this time (temples both sides, cheek both sides down to my nose) and I'm expecting recovery to be a bit longer. 

MemberMember
(@fortuneshill)

Posted : 06/15/2016 4:01 pm

28 minutes ago, 3wishes14 said:
Thanks for your support!!

So today I had my second treatment. This time my consultant used a 1.5mm roller (not sure what he was using last time, 0.5 maybe) and it was a LOT more painful but probably mostly because the numbing cream was only left on for about 10 minutes this time! He said my skin is extremely thick and elastic and was commenting whilst rolling how much better it was rolling with a 1.5. He also rolled over a much larger area this time (temples both sides, cheek both sides down to my nose) and I'm expecting recovery to be a bit longer.

To be honest, he should of been using 1.5mm to begin with. For scars a minimum of 1.5mm should be used for any results. Less then 1.5mm would only be useful for skin texture improvement and to absorb products better.

I had my 3rd professional Dermapen done today, it was 1.5mm but absolute pain free. With it being electronic it's much more comfortable, it just feels like a face massage as all you feel is the vibrations.

You will still see just as good results though, that's not what I'm commenting about. Good luck and keep us updated. This september it would have been a year since I have had 1 Fraxel Laser and 3 Professional Dermarollers. I have before pictures so I will update when I take the afters later this year.

MemberMember
(@quanhenry)

Posted : 06/15/2016 11:10 pm

May I ask how much you are paying per treatment? Have you thought about doing it yourself? Now that youve had a professional do it you could just follow their steps at home.

9 hours ago, FortunesHill said:
You will still see just as good results though, that's not what I'm commenting about. Good luck and keep us updated. This september it would have been a year since I have had 1 Fraxel Laser and 3 Professional Dermarollers. I have before pictures so I will update when I take the afters later this year.

Im on the same path that you are. Ive had 2 fraxels, and started needling 4 weeks ago. Might do one more round of lasers this winter. Ive seen solid results from a guy on youtube that has done the same. Good luck man