Notifications
Clear all

Im Considering Getting Excision/subcision For Deep Acne Scars, Here Are My Pics.

MemberMember
(@miggy00)

Posted : 08/05/2015 8:20 am

I have very deep acne scars and even had very expensive laser surgery. I think I've settled on excision or subcision. Basically cutting them out and sewing the skin closed.I'm in talks with a doctor to book an appointment. I'm hoping this can get rid of most of the deep scars and then possibly just do a very deep chemical peel to even everything else out when I'm done. I'd like to know any information anyone can share about this procedure, some before and after pics from users would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

post-483237-0-02809900-1438780632.jpg

post-483237-0-02661700-1438780634.jpg

MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/05/2015 4:44 pm

You sure he'd be able to excise them all? It's not that easy,

I say excise the isolated ones, subcision for the clustered ones. You will likely need several rounds but it'd be less risky than carving out that big a portion of flesh.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/06/2015 11:04 am

i agree. Don't attempt to excise everything. One, if you excise too many scars that are close together there will be too much tension at the excision lines, and may cause the excisions to stretch and widen the scars. Two, you have no idea how your body will heal. There's a real chance that the excisions could turn out worse. I had some bad excisions myself in the past.

I think you should start out slow, and excise only the deepest and worst scars and see how you heal. I think subcision and suction would help on the deeper rolling scars. Resurfacing should be left to the end like you said, to even things out.

You liked
MemberMember
(@rob_x_22)

Posted : 08/06/2015 6:46 pm

i would love to get a subcision done i have HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE CRATERs

MemberMember
(@bluedog88)

Posted : 08/06/2015 8:16 pm

i agree. Don't attempt to excise everything. One, if you excise too many scars that are close together there will be too much tension at the excision lines, and may cause the excisions to stretch and widen the scars. Two, you have no idea how your body will heal. There's a real chance that the excisions could turn out worse. I had some bad excisions myself in the past.

I think you should start out slow, and excise only the deepest and worst scars and see how you heal. I think subcision and suction would help on the deeper rolling scars. Resurfacing should be left to the end like you said, to even things out.

just a quick question: how do lasers work in evening things out? i see people say this but is it really a good final touch on scar treatments? and which laser, something strong or something non-ablative?

sorry to hijack the thread just wanted to ask this quick question

MemberMember
(@factoid)

Posted : 08/06/2015 8:40 pm

For a proper resurfacing you need to ablate the skin and let it grow back fresh, ideally aided by a potent healing agent that will minimize the regrowth of scar-tissue. This is always highly recommended to do at the very end of any scar revision as it blends the skin back together into a more uniform appearance.

You can do this by either dermabrasion, chemical peels or laser, the latter being the default these days, although that doesn't necessarily make it the better option.

You liked
MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 08/07/2015 7:01 pm

Rob_X_22, why don't you just pull the trigger and look into it. I think it would help you a lot, and it seems like you've never actually done professional treatments. I think subcision and suction would really help with your case.

To the question above, resurfacing is best left to the end because undoubtedly when you do minor surgical procedures like excisions there will always be a residual scar. If you are lucky, the resulting scar is a thin line. Resurfacing procedures like laser or dermabrasion help to further smooth those sharp edges and contours so that it camouflages it even more. For example, there has been research to show that after a scar revision procedure like excisions, a resurfacing procedure done within 6 weeks after the stitches have been removed results in a significantly better final result.

You liked
MemberMember
(@snowflake01)

Posted : 08/09/2015 9:51 pm

Rob_X_22, why don't you just pull the trigger and look into it. I think it would help you a lot, and it seems like you've never actually done professional treatments. I think subcision and suction would really help with your case.

To the question above, resurfacing is best left to the end because undoubtedly when you do minor surgical procedures like excisions there will always be a residual scar. If you are lucky, the resulting scar is a thin line. Resurfacing procedures like laser or dermabrasion help to further smooth those sharp edges and contours so that it camouflages it even more. For example, there has been research to show that after a scar revision procedure like excisions, a resurfacing procedure done within 6 weeks after the stitches have been removed results in a significantly better final result.

Ok, also sorry to hijack this thread but it is related and will help OP. I have a question about this. Some derms, like J. Emer, also told me that in his experience, lasers after scar revision yield the best results. My own facial plastic surgeon though refused to do lasers early on after my excision, saying that you don't want to do laser earlier on when the skin is still healing. J.E. told me that plastic surgeons like him just don't know that it needs to be earlier to give the most improvement. He does them though as early as 3 weeks! 3 to 6 or 8 weeks I think he said. I am several months out from excision now and frustrated by these 2 different answers. I want to do lasers to blend in scar but now concerned that it won't make much of a difference like JE said. I'm still doing it anyway. My doctor said there is not a single study that says that doing lasers earlier is better. I trust him but it's all so confusing!