Notifications
Clear all

Help Needed: Distinguishing Red Bump Over The Ear (Not A Pimple)

MemberMember
(@slee3)

Posted : 03/04/2015 2:30 pm

Hi All,

Please refer to the picture in the attached.

I have had this elevated red bump over my ear (about half inch in length) for a while now (~ 3-4 months). I thought it would go away, but it has not, so I scheduled an appointment with my dermatologist just to make sure its not skin cancer or anything malignant.

I am positive that it is not a pimple, its pretty wide, it feels soft, feels like an elevated rash of some sort.

Any help from you guys in determining the direct diagnosis of what this slightly elevated red bump is over my ear would greatly be appreciated.

I'll also try to provide updates after my appointment with my dermatologist.

Edit: Oops forgot to attach the photo

post-175291-0-69073400-1425498830.jpg

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/04/2015 3:23 pm

Hi - is it painful to the touch?

MemberMember
(@slee3)

Posted : 03/04/2015 5:14 pm

Nope, no pain whatsoever.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/04/2015 5:22 pm

Did it happen suddenly or grow over time? Has it gotten significantly red or larger very quickly? Does it feel hot?

MemberMember
(@slee3)

Posted : 03/04/2015 5:56 pm

Did it happen suddenly or grow over time? Has it gotten significantly red or larger very quickly? Does it feel hot?

happened really randomly one day, just appeared out of no where, so it happened very suddenly.

it was red initially and was fairly large, but after 3-4 months of having it now, it has reduced in size and its not as red as it used to be, its shrinking.

in terms of how hot it feels, it doesnt feel that hot, just normal skin temperature.

should i be worried megtree? Should I see a dermatologist asap?

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/04/2015 6:06 pm

No - I don't think you should be very worried. It's not painful, it doesn't sound like it's spreading or getting worse, so I don't think it's infected. Other than the redness, if it's not causing any discomfort or issues, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes skin does weird things. It is strange that it's been there for so long and happened suddenly, but it doesn't sound like something scary. Possibly an allergy to something, sometimes hives and stuff can happen randomly (but they usually go away on their own). Maybe you rest your hand there or touch that area often and it causes irritation. In any case, you should have it looked at eventually just to put your mind at ease, but it doesn't seem serious.

MemberMember
(@slee3)

Posted : 03/04/2015 6:32 pm

No - I don't think you should be very worried. It's not painful, it doesn't sound like it's spreading or getting worse, so I don't think it's infected. Other than the redness, if it's not causing any discomfort or issues, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes skin does weird things. It is strange that it's been there for so long and happened suddenly, but it doesn't sound like something scary. Possibly an allergy to something, sometimes hives and stuff can happen randomly (but they usually go away on their own). Maybe you rest your hand there or touch that area often and it causes irritation. In any case, you should have it looked at eventually just to put your mind at ease, but it doesn't seem serious.

Megtree,

really appreciate your response. You definitely have helped put my mind at ease, I was getting a bit worried there. It never bothered me (in terms of pain), the only thing bothersome was the site of it. So I never made it a priority, and I assumed it would just go away on its own. But the fact that its still been present for over 3 months has made me worry, which is why I finally started taking action into finding out what exactly it is.

I'll see my dermatologist next month (earliest appointment time available :/), and i will update this post with the findings.

Much appreciated again.

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 03/04/2015 6:41 pm

Megtree,

really appreciate your response. You definitely have helped put my mind at ease, I was getting a bit worried there. It never bothered me (in terms of pain), the only thing bothersome was the site of it. So I never made it a priority, and I assumed it would just go away on its own. But the fact that its still been present for over 3 months has made me worry, which is why I finally started taking action into finding out what exactly it is.

I'll see my dermatologist next month (earliest appointment time available :/), and i will update this post with the findings.

Much appreciated again.

No problem!