Notifications
Clear all

Do Acne Marks Go Away Without Surgery?

MemberMember
(@ariasbrah)

Posted : 02/12/2015 12:24 am

Hey I'm new to this site idk if I'm posting in the rigth place. Anyways I've had acne since I was 13 now I'm 18 I still get acne Even though I don't eat junk food (rarely do), don't drink soda, I was my face twice a day. I have oily skin too.

So I've been left with acne marks on both sides of my face and was wondering if I'm going to look like this for the rest of my life. It seems like its going to be hard dating since I'm a guy and have acne marks at 18. Any tips you guys have on red acne marks would be helpful please.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/12/2015 10:15 am

Hi and welcome!

Yes, red marks (hyperpigmentation) left from acne do fade with time. Topical treatments like dermatologist-prescribed retinoids can help speed the process.

IF you still have active acne, though, you need to focus on clearing your skin before the marks, otherwise it will be pointless. What do you use to wash your face? Regular soap/cleanser doesn't do anything to help or hinder persistent acne (unless it causes irritation) Do you use any over-the-counter topical medications like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid? BP is what kills acne-causing bacteria. Salicylic acid, meanwhile, works to clear pore-clogging dead skin.

Obviously, your acne (and most people on this board) isn't caused by a hygiene problem. This is an unfortunate myth prevalent in our society. Most people with acne take better care of their skin than people without acne!

AriasBrah liked
MemberMember
(@ariasbrah)

Posted : 02/12/2015 10:27 am

Thanks for replying! and I use a neutrogena cleaner. It has 0.5 salicylic acid and alpha hydroxyl. I don't know if it matters l.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/12/2015 11:16 am

Yes, that will definitely help with cell turnover. But are you still having a lot of active acne?

MemberMember
(@ariasbrah)

Posted : 02/12/2015 2:48 pm

It comes and goes. I was acne free for 2 weeks, but now I have some on my forehead and mouth, lip area.

Is there a better cleanser than the one I'm using.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/15/2015 11:45 pm

It comes and goes. I was acne free for 2 weeks, but now I have some on my forehead and mouth, lip area.

Is there a better cleanser than the one I'm using.

Well, probably. I use Panoxyl Creamy Wash 4 (4% benzoyl peroxide) and even before I started using the other prescription topicals I use (see my signature), it kept me much clearer on its own than a salicylic acid cleaner ever did. BP kills acne bacteria, salicylic acid helps clear dead skin which clogs pores. So probably using the two in tandem could be effective for you. Start slowly, though.

AriasBrah liked
MemberMember
(@ariasbrah)

Posted : 02/15/2015 11:50 pm

Thanks. For replying and giving me advice.