Notifications
Clear all

Acne Scars Have Destroyed My Once In A Life Time Adventure.

MemberMember
(@acneperson)

Posted : 01/04/2015 12:06 am

Recently I have achieved a life long goal, to fly out to Australia and travel the country! A week or so prior to me flying out I had a huge, and I mean huge, outbreak of cystic acne all over my cheeks and temples, I already had some scarring but now this recent outbreak has left me with even more scars. Since I have been in Australia I have barely left my hostel room as I am so ashamed, sometimes I won't even go down to eat. I just sit in my hostel room all day constantly smoothering my scars with aloe vera gel, bio oil and honey throughout the day and night, and fantastically I started to see a difference and felt ready to go out until I did something very stupid.... I read on google some people rub there acne scars with a toothbrush and it can help reduce their visibility but it didn't say how hard so I kind of did it as if I was using a derma stamp and really scrubbed at them... Worst mistake of my life. I am now left with a huge red graze/scab across my cheek making me look 100x worse. I am at my wits end, I'm in the other side of the world from home in Australia on my own stuck in my hostel room because of my face and I don't know what to do, I should be out having fun and visiting the sites and going to the beach, I feel like I want to come home and I honestly feel like crying, it's pathetic. Everybody I see has such beautiful, perfect sun kissed skin here and are really attractive and I don't feel like I belong here, I just feel like I need to be constantly inside on my own. Should I just go home? I don't know what to do. And will this scab/graze go? Is there anything I can do to help it?

MemberMember
(@krissypants30)

Posted : 01/04/2015 8:20 pm

If you don't go out you will regret it. Try your hardest to cover with makeup and make yourself look the most presentable you can be. If it doesn't cover all, take it for what it is. What I do is make at least my eyes and my hair look good like usual, sure I still see the ugliness on my face but I've come to realize that people aren't noticing it as much as I do, or they have just come accustomed to it. Don't let this hold you back and get out there and do what you went there to do!!!!

MemberMember
(@skullkid87)

Posted : 01/04/2015 9:04 pm

gonna go head and say since your in a country that no one knows you so u shouldnt worry to much about anyone judging you. ive delt with what your talking about but in my own town, with people i see everyday and i think thats WAY worse then being around complete strangers who you will never see again.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/04/2015 9:51 pm

Go to a derm or a plastic surgeon asap. You need professional help before it gets worse.

MemberMember
(@krissypants30)

Posted : 01/04/2015 10:21 pm

^ I also agree with the poster above. I don't know how it works in Australia but if you can find a derm to get some cortisone injections that would be good before it scars, not exactly the number one thing you think about when on vacation but it happens.

MemberMember
(@mk04)

Posted : 01/05/2015 10:54 am

Damn that sucks but please have some more self-confidence. I understand that it's probably the worst time to have scars but still, go out and enjoy. You're going to go back home from traveling just cause of some scars? LOL that sounds pathetic. Go out for a run, get some air, relax.. Stop thinking so much about the breakout. I know it's hard but I'm going to be blunt: deal with it.

SiriBai liked
MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/05/2015 2:34 pm

Go to a dermatologist ASAP but in the meantime, going out in the sun (with SPF, especially on your scab!), getting some light exercise and absorbing vitamin D while exploring the sights, and forgetting as much as possible about your skin will probably help tenfold. Salt water may help too so try to get into the water a little bit. And eating regularly and healthily will be good for your moral.

Wear some dark glasses and a hat or a scarf a la 1950's film star might help too! =P Have faith, no one will really pay attention to you anyway, unless you do something to attract attention. If so, smile and be friendly and no one will notice your skin.

Take some pictures of you & the beautiful coastline and share them with us!

Also, your scab will heal as long as you don't pick at it or hinder it's process. Keep it moist as much as possible - neosporin. Once it is healed and and there's a pink scar you can use some vitamin e oil or bio-oil on it, but not before it's healed over and the scab has fallen off.

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 01/05/2015 3:42 pm

Hey, please dont stress. I know its easier said than done, but sitting in your hotel all day foccusing on your scars is not good. I find that my skin actually looks better outdoors than in artificial lighting, there are too many shadows and they make my scars looks deeper, i also find that sunlight makes my skin look flawless when its really really not.

Anyway, go out, have fun. Wear a hat or whatever you feel comfortable in, suncream and go and see some sites. You wont even be thinking about your skin and scars, you will regret it otherwise.

Please do it.

MemberMember
(@please-delete)

Posted : 01/07/2015 12:13 am

Plz delete

MemberMember
(@tothemoonandback)

Posted : 01/07/2015 1:32 am

You should post a picture for us to accurately give you advise. But either way, nobody should ever worry about their looks to the point of not enjoying their vacation.