Notifications
Clear all

Fraxel Laser Worth It?

MemberMember
(@jane-o-doe)

Posted : 11/29/2014 3:02 pm

Dear everyone,

First off I'm thankful I have decent skin. Could be worse I'm sure.

Is Fraxel worth it for someone with scars?

MemberMember
(@senoritastephie)

Posted : 11/29/2014 9:20 pm

My suggestion is to go seek other opinions from other derms or even medspas. I've gotten the run around for years (about 6 years), but the plus side to having derms turn me down is that I really was able to research lasers (I ended up opting out-rare to have side effects from them but I didn't want to have the side effects that could happen). I ended up finding one doctor who did fraxel that was willing to try it on me once my skin cleared up (at the time it was clear, though, so don't know why she was making me wait) and an esthetician that did a bipolar laser similar to fraxel (and way less risk of side effects) and a microneedle pen. The esthetician did those two things much cheaper (I ended up with the pen which was about $1500 for 7 sessions, but the laser was the same for 6 sessions). And since I only break out occasionally now she was willing to work on my skin right away whereas the doctor wasn't. My last session is this Tuesday and so far I've had some results, though can't tell yet since it's supposed to take awhile to see the full results. I'm not expecting a miracle though since some of my scars are deep. You could also get professional peels. I did that with the one doctor (she was a primary care physician that specialized in lasers and stuff-not quite a dermatologist) and had some results. My skin smoothed out a bit. Definitely better than at home peels which I never saw results with. All options to look into and your skin may react differently than mine. And your dermatologist was so wrong for saying you need a therapist. From what you wrote you don't sound like you do at all. Oh and the retin-a may help a little. She probably prescribed it more for the acne and red marks, though. I've never had it help with the scars.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 11/30/2014 4:49 pm

wait $150 for a retin tube ? you can buy them online for like $4 lol they arent gonna help your scars

dont listen to the derm , youre suppose to go to a laser clinic and ask them for scar treatments not the derm i believe

also just because she prescribe you it doesnt mean you have to take it because like i said not gonna do anything for the indented scars , waste of money

MemberMember
(@anonuser)

Posted : 12/01/2014 1:33 am

Do you think my scars will go away with Fraxel? Some are very deep, especially one by my ear that for some reason you can't see in the picture. I am in no position able to afford Fraxel right now, but am considering the Care Credit thing because my confidence is that low.

Is Fraxel worth it for someone like me? Or will this Retin-A cream fix me for good? I've heard of a bunch of horror stories about the laser, but if those are myths I'd rather pay more for some immediate results and an immediate confidence boost, rather than shell out $150 every month for a tube of cream.

What type of fraxel? There are 3. Re:fine and Re:store probably won't do anything. Re:pair will help most likely but it's a long recovery process and not a "one and done" procedure.

Retin-a won't do anything for scars.

If you're looking for low budget options that actually may help - look into dermarolling (can do yourself) or tca cross (with a derm). You look like you have scars that could benefit from both.