Notifications
Clear all

Is A Fraxel Repair The Best Option For My Forehead Scarring? (Pictures)

MemberMember
(@sonny-s)

Posted : 10/21/2014 2:14 am

Last year I probably made the worst decision of my life. I did a course of accutane which was a huge mistake and it only made my acne worse, messed up my skin texture, made acne red marks last 5+ times longer than normal, and gave me an indented forehead scar. That damn dermatologist sugar coated accutane so hard, and my acne wasn't even that bad, maybe 4/10 grade acne. Oh well now to the story.

So yea last year I was about two months into accutane, breaking out more than ever and got a gigantic red zit, bigger than I ever had in my life. So I decided to put some salicylic acid spot on in the area overnight. Turns out that it was very foolish of me to do so, I woke up with my already super dry accutane skin even dryer in the spot I put it in which you can see in the pic. It basically turned that area of my skin brown and "killed the skin". So eventually it peeled off and attempted to heal back but it didn't do so fully since accutane screws with your skin's ability to heal. So it eventually formed a "dent" is what I call it and it has been that way since and it has been 10 months since I've been off that poison. It has maybe gotten 10-15% better in that time frame. But I don't see it getting better any time soon. Plus I didn't even do the full course of accutane, I stopped 3 months early due to very negative side effects like chest pain and bad constipation.

So to sum it up, accutane left my forehead as a wreck with many red marks, texture problems, and a pretty nasty indented scar.

I did two vbeams a few months ago. One is july and the other in august and it helped my redness by about 20% which was nice but it did absolutely nothing to my texture problems which is what I care about the most.

So my plan is in December I get a month off of school (winter break) and I wanted to do the fraxel repair at that time since I know it causes a lot of downtime and it will also be my 1 year anniversary off accutane. My logic was that my skin back in july responded to the vbeam pretty well and healed up pretty quickly and back then my skin was a lot dryer and sensitive back then. So in two months from now my skin will be even more ready and more back to normal and I think it can handle a fraxel repair. I've seen amazing stories on what fraxel repair can do for you and I think it's worth the risk. I'm so tired of hiding in a hat or beanie or hiding in the darkness because im so damn insecure of the skin on my forehead. It has caused me ALOT of anxiety this year and made me suicidal at one point (which i'm over now). But it has also allowed me to discover what my passion is and what I want to do in life which i'm thankful for. The problem is I can't see myself doing it until my skin is in a good shape. I wanna live my dream life!!!

But what do you guys think? Is fraxel repair the best option or is there something else I should try?

I know my skin looks a lot worse in the mirror and definitely ALOT worse in daylight than the pic it's just that my phone filters the picture (beauty face setting which I don't know how to turn off) but it still shows a good amount of flaws.

Thanks for reading my post

post-366931-0-61403400-1413874957.jpg

post-366931-0-55918800-1413874967.jpg

post-366931-0-57105600-1413875394.jpg

post-366931-0-61403400-1413874957.jpg

post-366931-0-55918800-1413874967.jpg

post-366931-0-57105600-1413875394.jpg

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/21/2014 7:47 am

I'd would not be on this forum if I had that one and only scar. Anyways, you have a month to recover I say go for it. It would pro ably still run you a good $500 for just that scar. I'd ask for a quick subcision before repair and a filler after you recover from repair. For far superior results then just repair alone

May I ask what settings did your dr use for vbeam?

I ask BC of this:

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jsswc/4/3/4_170/_article

Click on full pdf

MemberMember
(@sonny-s)

Posted : 10/23/2014 4:02 am

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure what the settings were exactly but i got a double pulse on the entire forehead. She said it was about 7/10 strength. But the scar has gotten better since that treatment so i don't think it interfered with it at all.

The subcision does sound like a good idea though, how much does it normally cost?

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/24/2014 9:26 pm

Subcision runs for $350-500 whole face in california. Might be cheaper elsewhere