Notifications
Clear all

Hydroquinone Cream

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/07/2014 11:55 am

hydroquinone 4% so who has tried these on some blemishes ? and how effect do you think they are

MemberMember
(@tiff95)

Posted : 01/07/2014 12:49 pm

I was prescribed 4% hydroquinone to apply to the brown PIH marks on my back. I used it only for about a month without seeing any change whatsoever. Maybe results take longer, especially on the back, but I've temporarily stopped as I noticed I would break out more wherever I applied it. Also I think it's recommended to discontinue use after 2-3 months whether results are visible or not.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/07/2014 12:53 pm

Hydroquinone is supposed to reduce the amount of melanin in your skin-- so it should only work to "bleach" your skin, not to remove red marks (because they're inflammation, not excess melanin). Freckles, sun spots, and darker marks from acne are little patches of melanin-- so they're brown. Acne red marks are little patches of post-inflammation-- so they're red.

I think it's been found to be toxic after a while, so I agree with the above poster... it shouldn't be used for more than a few months at a time.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/07/2014 3:26 pm

Hydroquinone is supposed to reduce the amount of melanin in your skin-- so it should only work to "bleach" your skin, not to remove red marks (because they're inflammation, not excess melanin). Freckles, sun spots, and darker marks from acne are little patches of melanin-- so they're brown. Acne red marks are little patches of post-inflammation-- so they're red.

I think it's been found to be toxic after a while, so I agree with the above poster... it shouldn't be used for more than a few months at a time.

do they permanently reduce the amount of melanin ? or after a while they come back

currently i used retin a for a month and i heard you should pre pep by using retin a then hydroquinone cream to enchance it or combine both by mixing then apply ? what are your input on this

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/07/2014 3:49 pm

I don't have much input, sorry. I've never used hyrdoquinone-- i just know what it's supposed to do. Technically, it should permanantly lessen the amount of melanin, and therefore completely get rid of brown marks only.

MemberMember
(@blahblahblahblahz)

Posted : 01/07/2014 9:28 pm

Technically it doesn't bleach anything. It inhibits the production of melanin, so FUTURE melanin is suppressed. That means that as the skin regenerates and sheds, eventually that dark spot lightens as a result of no new melanin being produced. That's why I think a lot of docs recommend using hydroquinone in conjunction with Retin-a, which will speed up that shedding process.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/07/2014 10:15 pm

Well, there you go. With that ^^ information...it won't really get rid of existing brown marks, but might help avoid new ones from forming/existing ones getting worse. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

MemberMember
(@leadingforce)

Posted : 01/07/2014 10:21 pm

i have used 4% for 2 days morning and night also it has lactic acid in it , using the obagi blender 5 one because i had it away back but never used it yet

so far in just 2 days my skin has gotten lighter and i can see it so im going to keep using it for couple more weeks to see how well it goes so far so good