Notifications
Clear all

Will Acne Scars Heal Over Time?

MemberMember
(@yourplaceormine)

Posted : 11/27/2013 12:26 am

Hello guys,

I have some ice pick scars on my cheeks from a serious acne breakout recently.

SImple question, from experience,

Do acne scars even out over time? Or are laser treatments the only way to get rid of these scars?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@antonioreyes)

Posted : 11/27/2013 12:50 am

if your a fair skin person, it depends on your diet and skincare but yes it does dissappear overtime (time meaning -after months) but do you maintain a regimen you will be fine.

if your darker skin, you'll need to take extra care due to melanin production.

microdermabrasion is a good tool over a period of 10-12 weeks but it will cost you.

MemberMember
(@acnescarsarehell)

Posted : 11/27/2013 12:52 am

if you have scars that are moderate, they will be permanent. Shallow scars can eventually go away if you use a exfoliate such as Retin A. However if you have moderate scars you will need treatment of them to get rid of them. Lasers are a good way to help or dermabrasions. Depending on the severity of your scars.

MemberMember
(@acnescarsarehell)

Posted : 11/28/2013 1:15 am

I have been told ice pick scars respond very well to excisions. Due to the fact most ice pick scars are fairly small in diameter yet deep in depth, the excision would be fairly small leaving a less noticeable scar. These scars eventually blend in over time where you can barely see them. They can even be dermabraded or ablated by a laser to fade it in even more.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 11/28/2013 10:14 am

Ok, don't listen to some people here. All they do is say negative things not only for scars but in other aspects of life as well. If you see the negative threads, you'll see what i mean. "Misery LOVES company".

Here is the truth.

Im pretty sure you've seen some posts where people had their acne scars, the pitted ones, heal.

I also talked personally to a member here in acne.org where she had some shallow and some moderate boxscar and ice picks heal in a span of 2 years time.

But, severe scars, will take time and treatment as i have never met a person with a deep pitted scar healed by itself.

Your question was, "Will acne scars heal over time?"

The answer is, It will depend on your genetics, your healing ability, your skin type, your diet, your health, your environment, your life style, etc.

You would have to wait for 1 year to 2 years before you can decide if your scar will disappear on its own. Of course keep in mind, the worse the scar, the more time it needs.