Notifications
Clear all

Preventing Scarring?

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 07/22/2013 6:43 pm

My acne is at the point where its manageable but I still breakout. I do not get cysts anymore but I do get whiteheads and pustules that go away in 3-5 days max. For some reason, EVERY pimple I get is leaving some type of indented scar. Most of them appear to be icepicks or scarred pores but wtf? I do not remember ever scarring this easily. In the past month, I have had 5 pimples and they all have left me with an icepick scar or alittle line scar.

Is there anyway to prevent current acne from scarring?

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 07/23/2013 3:04 am

Are you on accutane at the moment? That would explain why you're scarring more easily, as it impedes healing. Another factor is just age, I think. I've had a similar experience this past year, probably due to getting older and/or stressing. I still scar easily, but sometimes I can avoid it by using lots of bepanthen cream on healing pimples or scabs, trying to eat and sleep well and taking zinc and vitamin c and collagen supplements. And being very careful with picking and avoiding it as much as I can. I think the bepanthen cream / keeping healing spots moisturized has helped.

I hope it gets better for you! Good luck.

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 07/23/2013 6:18 pm

Are you on accutane at the moment? That would explain why you're scarring more easily, as it impedes healing. Another factor is just age, I think. I've had a similar experience this past year, probably due to getting older and/or stressing. I still scar easily, but sometimes I can avoid it by using lots of bepanthen cream on healing pimples or scabs, trying to eat and sleep well and taking zinc and vitamin c and collagen supplements. And being very careful with picking and avoiding it as much as I can. I think the bepanthen cream / keeping healing spots moisturized has helped.

I hope it gets better for you! Good luck.

I am not on Accutane but I am getting older saywhat.gif 26 soon. I also NEVER pick so I just can't win.

I do take zinc and vitamin c but I guess my skin is just too old now lol

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 07/23/2013 6:36 pm

Ha, I'm also turning 26 this year and dealing with this only recently. Maybe it is the age, then? I've noticed using lots of bepanthen cream on anything that might scar does help with healing and sometimes prevents scarring, although not always. Luckily the scars I'm getting are mostly mild and not really noticeable to others, so it's more a mindfuck than anything else. But all the more reasons to get one's acne fully under control, which I find very hard not wanting to use BCP or accutane. I hope you find a way to deal with this! And please share if you find anything that helps.

MemberMember
(@accuracy101)

Posted : 07/24/2013 8:44 pm

Ha, I'm also turning 26 this year and dealing with this only recently. Maybe it is the age, then? I've noticed using lots of bepanthen cream on anything that might scar does help with healing and sometimes prevents scarring, although not always. Luckily the scars I'm getting are mostly mild and not really noticeable to others, so it's more a mindfuck than anything else. But all the more reasons to get one's acne fully under control, which I find very hard not wanting to use BCP or accutane. I hope you find a way to deal with this! And please share if you find anything that helps.

I'm gonna have to disagree and say that age has nothing to do with scarring. Wrinkles on the other hand, comes with age, but I've never heard of anyone developing scars due to age. There has to be some sort of traumatic affair that contacts with your skin, such as a cyst. I could be wrong, but i believe acne scars are almost imminent as they are the result of a cyst being withdrew and thus leaving a depression where the cyst formerly was.

P.S. I'm only 20 and have minor scarring.

MemberMember
(@antlee)

Posted : 07/24/2013 11:04 pm

There isn't a specific product that can prevent scarring to my knowledge. I think the best thing you can do is moisturize and apply sunscreen. Dry skin is much more prone to scarring and red marks from acne, while moisturized/oily skin heals faster.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 07/25/2013 6:02 am

I'm gonna have to disagree and say that age has nothing to do with scarring. Wrinkles on the other hand, comes with age, but I've never heard of anyone developing scars due to age. There has to be some sort of traumatic affair that contacts with your skin, such as a cyst. I could be wrong, but i believe acne scars are almost imminent as they are the result of a cyst being withdrew and thus leaving a depression where the cyst formerly was.

Oh sure, we're talking about acne scars resulting from pimples, not just spontaneous scarring from nowhere. I only meant that now that I've aged, a pimple seems more likely to scar than before and that aging might affect one's proneness to scarring from acne.

MemberMember
(@spartan32)

Posted : 07/26/2013 5:52 pm

Oh sure, we're talking about acne scars resulting from pimples, not just spontaneous scarring from nowhere. I only meant that now that I've aged, a pimple seems more likely to scar than before and that aging might affect one's proneness to scarring from acne.

This. In the past, big and deep cysts didn't scar but now non cystic acne is scarring my skin. My skin just seems weaker even though i keep it very well moisturized.