Notifications
Clear all

Laser C02 While On Accutane

MemberMember
(@davidbarney)

Posted : 04/05/2013 11:47 am

Hi, this is David. I have almost clear skin now having taken low dose accutane, that is 20mg a day. I started accutane for about 2 months now and i have mild(not so deep) acne scars. The thing is, I have done some research and it is said that you should wait for at least 6 months after stopping accutane before you start co2 laser treatment for acne scars. However, my derm said it was okay if I had laser treatment while on accutane but he said that I gotta lower it to 10mg/day. So any advice guys?? Thank you.

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 04/05/2013 6:31 pm

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Do not let him do this you will absolutely rip your skin apart.

MemberMember
(@davidbarney)

Posted : 04/05/2013 8:18 pm

Thank you so much for replying!!! But I'm only on my second month of 20mg/day. My derm said that it would be okay since the medication is not yet fully 'absorbed' into my body to cause any further harm if I were to get co2 laser...any hints??

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 04/06/2013 5:47 am

The Co2 already has quite some risks , accutane is just going to raise the risk.

I'm not sure if it's going to be worth it ,if you said that your scars are mild , you can live with that for a cople of months.I wouldn't take this risk.

MemberMember
(@davidbarney)

Posted : 04/06/2013 6:06 am

Hey Andrewbleah! Thanks for the info! But when would u suggest that I stop taking accutane? I mean now that I am almost clear but still have breakouts once in a while. And when I stop, should i take accutane for like 10mg/week for 'maintenance'? Lol does having 'maintenance' count for the 6 months wait before co2??

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 04/06/2013 6:20 am

If you stop taking accutane now , most likely your acne will come back soon.

You need to reach a cumulative dose.

The minimum cumulative dose is 120mg/kg and the maximum is 150mg/kg(used it case you still have acne)

To calculate your cumulative dose you will need your weight in kg.

If for example you have 63 kg , you will do this :

63 * 120 =7560mg ( 120mg/kg)

or

63 * 150=9450mg( 150mg/kg)

If you are taking 20mg/day you will need to take accutane for about a year.

Most dermatologist raise the dosage after the first month or so.

MemberMember
(@davidbarney)

Posted : 04/06/2013 9:43 am

Wowwww..thanks so much!! I wouldn't have even known about this I n

Oops(I'm new on forums)..continue from above..I wouldn't even have known bout this if not for you! Wow my derm tells me nothing!!! He must be money minded and wants me throw my money on him! Good!! Now I'll think bout it and see if I really am gonna take co2 treatment! Thanks so much. God bless.

MemberMember
(@justmeuk)

Posted : 04/06/2013 12:46 pm

Please do not even consider having CO2 laser whilst on accutane. It's highly likely to result in scarring, i'm pretty shocked that any derm would suggest it.

MemberMember
(@acnescar123)

Posted : 04/06/2013 4:09 pm

However, my derm said it was okay if I had laser treatment while on accutane but he said that I gotta lower it to 10mg/day. So any advice guys?? Thank you.

I think you should find a new dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@davidbarney)

Posted : 04/07/2013 1:40 am

However, my derm said it was okay if I had laser treatment while on accutane but he said that I gotta lower it to 10mg/day. So any advice guys?? Thank you.

I think you should find a new dermatologist.

Thanks everyone for replying! I thought so too. Well now I gotta wait one whole year to finish my accutane course. Then another year before co2(2 years of wait) :'(

I am just wondering tho, is it okay if I stop accutane now, get the co2. And retake accutane if my acne comes back?

MemberMember
(@ughhhhh)

Posted : 04/08/2013 2:39 pm

You would still have to wait 6 months after stopping accutane - accutane inhibits healing and makes your skin very sensitive. You would be risking severe scarring if you got co2.