Notifications
Clear all

Key Questions To Ask Of A Potential Dermaroller Clinician?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/24/2013 9:36 am

I hope to begin Dermaroller treatment this spring and am vetting potential derms./aestheticians who perform the process. I'd like to know what key questions I should considering asking of each person before scheduling an initial consultation.

So, far, I've asked the following questions of people. Please, let me know if there's anything else I should ask (know) before even paying for an initial consultation.

1) Were the clinicians who perform the Dermaroller treatments trained at the company's German headquarters? (If not, how have they been trained to perform Dermaroller treatments?)

2) What is the cost (or price range) per a typical Dermaroller session?

3) Do you offer a free initial consultation to discuss a possible Dermaroller acne-scar-revision treatment plan?

4) If the consultation has a fee, is it applied toward the cost of the first Dermaroller session? (Must the first session be booked within a certain time frame in order for the consultation fee to be applied to it?)

5) Could you provide references for patients who've received Dermaroller treatment from you? Or could you provide before/after photos of patients' who've received Dermaroller treatment from you?

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 01/26/2013 8:00 am

All excellent questions PI! I would add just one more (being on the other side of treatments):

6) Do you receive any after-care skin products after your first treatment (and should be included in the first Dermaroller session's price).

I was given the kit below for no extra charge and was told that I had to use the products or else the esthetician wouldn't treat me again. Sounds harsh but I soon realised that she was so adamant because the products boost the results from the Dermaroller significantly. And now... now I'm hooked on their products. But, if nothing else they should give you some kind of post-needling kit like this one:

http://dermaquest.com.au/products/professional-care/post-skin-needlingresurfacing-kit

You use the products just for the first 3-5 days or until your skin is fully healed. Then you can go back to your normal routine. :)

xx

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/26/2013 9:36 am

I would add just one more (being on the other side of treatments):

6) Do you receive any after-care skin products after your first treatment (and should be included in the first Dermaroller session's price).

I was given the kit below for no extra charge and was told that I had to use the products or else the esthetician wouldn't treat me again. Sounds harsh but I soon realised that she was so adamant because the products boost the results from the Dermaroller significantly. And now... now I'm hooked on their products. But, if nothing else they should give you some kind of post-needling kit like this one:

http://dermaquest.com.au/products/professional-care/post-skin-needlingresurfacing-kit

You use the products just for the first 3-5 days or until your skin is fully healed. Then you can go back to your normal routine. smile.png

I've devised three other questions, to which I'll now add yours. smile.png Please, anyone let me know if you think that my questions are too picky. LOL

The three other questions I intend to ask are:

1) Is the consultation fee applied toward the cost of the first Dermaroller session? If yes, how soon after my consultation must I have my first treatment session in order for the consultation fee to be applied?

2) Could you provide references of patients who've received Dermaroller treatment from you (and who've agreed to be references)? Or could you provide before/after photos of patients who've received such treatment from you?

3) Could Dermaroller treatment be performed on the same areas of skin if scarring were to recur after the initial treatment session? (That is, if a person's scarring is reduced/eradicated from Dermaroller sessions but future acne breakouts cause more scarring, could Dermaroller sessions be performed again with the same effective results?)

MemberMember
(@dermarollerusa)

Posted : 01/26/2013 7:23 pm

Hello PI:

If by Dermaroller you mean the German Dermaroller, US practitioners who perform skin microneedling and employ Dermaroller medical tools, are all trained in the US with a few exceptions. The exceptions refer to clinicians that were trained by Dermaroller in Europe or elsewhere.

I would amplify your list and suggest that in addition you pose the following questions to any appropriately US licensed clinician be it allopathic physicians, osteopaths, naturopaths, nurses, physician assistants, supervised aestheticians or any other professional who performs microneedling procedures on the skin, as allowed by their respective licensing boards in their states of residence, for any known indication:

Do the treatment considerations vary according to a particular condition?

If my condition is active, how does my treatment vary?

In order to maximize my response, are there any pretreatment considerations prior to undergoing a procedure? If so, what are they?

What do they consist of?

How many treatments will I need based on my condition?

Which types of anesthesia can you provide for my comfort? Creams only? Injections? Nerve blocks?

What is the post-care regimen? How long will I have to follow it?

I hope this helps you.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/26/2013 8:53 pm

I would amplify your list and suggest that in addition you pose the following questions to any appropriately US licensed clinician...:

Do the treatment considerations vary according to a particular condition?

If my condition is active, how does my treatment vary?

In order to maximize my response, are there any pretreatment considerations prior to undergoing a procedure? If so, what are they?

What do they consist of?

How many treatments will I need based on my condition?

Which types of anesthesia can you provide for my comfort? Creams only? Injections? Nerve blocks?

What is the post-care regimen? How long will I have to follow it?

Most of these questions I'd ask during an initial consultation, rather than beforehand. (I'm trying to devise questions to ask before a consultation--those that would help me choose the best clinician to consult with in the first place) Several of your questions, all of which are very good/valid, already are on my "to-ask" list. But I plan to ask them during the actual consult.

Currently, I'm leaning toward a board-certified dermatologist who performs Dermaroller® treatment and was trained by Dermaroller® staff in her office. I plan to ask her my additional four questions first. If her answers seem solid, I'll compile a list of additional questions, including those you've stated, to ask her during a consult. smile.png

I must say that I'm starting to feel excited, now that I'm taking steps toward receiving Dermaroller® treatment.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 01/27/2013 7:50 am

How much improvement should I expect?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 01/27/2013 10:40 am

How much improvement should I expect?

That's a question that I'd ask during a consultation, rather than before it; I doubt that a clinician could answer it without inspecting my skin. ;) (I'm trying to devise questions to ask before a consultation--i.e., questions to which the answers will help me choose the best clinician with whom to consult before I spend any money.)

I do intend to ask that question during an eventual consultation, as I'd like to know how many sessions the clinician would estimate to be most beneficial for me.