Notifications
Clear all

Scar Prevention For Huge Boils?

MemberMember
(@mike06)

Posted : 12/24/2012 6:56 pm

So after I was finally able to clear my persistent adult acne after 14 years, I developed cellulitis on my chin the other day. I thought it was a cystic breakout but kept getting worse and multiplying so I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed me with cellulitis and gave me doxycycline for 14 days. I have been on it since yesterday but have 4 giant swollen boils covering my chin which are very painful when just moving my mouth. I have been lucky to not have gotten that many scars from my acne breakouts since I was a kid but this is not looking good for my chin.

At the moment, I am taking my doxycycline as directed to clear the infection by my doctor. In addition, I am applying aquaphor multiple times a day to keep the area as moist as possible. I am also eating a healthy diet as well as taking a strong multi vitamin. Lastly, I am taking high doses of zinc (100 mg a day), fermented cod liver oil, and vitamin c (8,000 mg a day) and plan on continuing this for another 2 weeks or so. I have stopped using BP on my chin as well as Tazorac.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions in order to promote healing and prevent massive scarring? I realize that I am probably going to scar but really want to do everything that I can to minimise it. Thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 12/25/2012 8:25 am

Too much zinc is toxic. Start with a low dose.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 12/25/2012 4:25 pm

Don't know about you but I scar everywhere except my chin!

MemberMember
(@mike06)

Posted : 12/25/2012 9:51 pm

Don't know about you but I scar everywhere except my chin!

I am really hoping that is the case for me. I never really had any acne on my chin so I do not have any scars there yet. Seems like it would be more resistant to scarring than say the cheeks where I have a few.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 12/26/2012 4:51 am

More is not better! 100mg of zinc is too high, I'd cut that down a bit if I were you otherwise you risk messing with your immune system. 40-50mg a day is all you really need. Vitamin C intake is also a little crazy but less harmful in big doses, be prepared for bouts of diarrhoea with that high dosage! Is there extra zinc/vitamin C in this multivitamin tablet you're taking?!

You may not scar. You seem to be doing everything I would (minus going bananas on vitamins) to minimise scarring. Are you also cleansing morning and night and wearing sunscreen?

MemberMember
(@mike06)

Posted : 12/26/2012 3:39 pm

More is not better! 100mg of zinc is too high, I'd cut that down a bit if I were you otherwise you risk messing with your immune system. 40-50mg a day is all you really need. Vitamin C intake is also a little crazy but less harmful in big doses, be prepared for bouts of diarrhoea with that high dosage! Is there extra zinc/vitamin C in this multivitamin tablet you're taking?!

You may not scar. You seem to be doing everything I would (minus going bananas on vitamins) to minimise scarring. Are you also cleansing morning and night and wearing sunscreen?

I cut the Zinc intake down to 70mg a day and the Vitamin C down to 5,000mg total which includes my multivitamin. I use opti-zinc which contains copper to balance out the ratio. I plan on getting that down to 45mg in the coming days.

2 of those boils ended up being abscesses which I had to get laced at the ER. I was actually told by the doctor that I need to keep the area as dry as possible and to not moisturize so me moisturizing the area was actually a bad thing as it was keeping all of the staph bacteria in from the cellulitis.

The infection is going down but since I can't put anything on it, I just have to hope at this point. This is 1 time where I would prefer to actually have acne.

MemberMember
(@newtrix)

Posted : 01/07/2013 12:36 pm

Colloidal silver helps with the Staph infection...You can only take that in intermittantly though...unless it clears yours up? It's amazing stuff.

Anytime I notice a boil developing I put TCA on it which seems to kill it right away...my boils come on the thighs now tho, not face, so I guess it depends on how often you get them? I heard a paleo diet gluten free gets rid of them, and I did go gluten free for a year once and got rid of an outbreak of boils I'd had on my face (Doctors told me it was acne--it wasn't!) so maybe there's something to that.

Good luck.