Notifications
Clear all

False Advertising

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:54 am

After many years researching acne scar treatments it seems that there is a lot of conflicting information regarding procedures and results.

In the beginning, I happily stumbled upon many before and after photos showing outstanding results of acne scar treatments. In set the naive joy and hope, wow, I CAN have normal skin again.

Years down the line and many highs and lows later, I learnt to accept that most of the too good to be true photos are in fact just that. That the majority of Derms and Plastic Surgeons driven by greed telling us of their new and wonderful gold standard treatments promising 90% results are lies.

Posting photo shopped pictures is false advertising. Promising far from realistic results is false advertising. Promoting procedures to be 100% safe when they are far from is false advertising. False advertising is illegal! So why do they get away with it?

I think the standard saying everyones skin is different and will not react the same way is certainly true to a certain degree, but I think this is used too often as a get free card for all the nowhere near 90%ers (basically almost every case).

Thank God for sites like this and a few others where we can learn from each others experiences.

Anyone else get fed up of all the BS?

MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/16/2012 1:57 pm

Most people want the "Miracle Cure", and it just does not exist. Just like an incurable disease scars require constant attention, and constant treatment.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/16/2012 10:44 pm

It is very sad that such scamming exists. But there will always be vultures out there looking to score from the vulnerable. I too was naive and went to such a vulture for my first Fraxel laser session. Pretty soon afterwards I knew that he was just in it for the money and after a bit of research I found that his before/after pictures were not even his. I was lucky that the procedure in itself went smoothly but I did not go back to him again. I like to think that it has made me a smarter purchaser though. It's a little easier to see through a salesperson's lies now.

But I also think that we, the consumer, are also at fault. We generally don't ask the right questions, dig deep enough into what really goes on or understand enough about our own bodies. We are so accustomed to reading glossy magazines promising amazing results that we are a little brainwashed. Look at how many diet fads are out there! So many of my friends just jump straight into the new fad without actually doing any research. All they can see is the end result that is promised. They last a few weeks before moving to something else because, big surprise, no results. Can only imagine how much money they've spent.

This is one of the reasons I am very trusting of the Dermaroller. They even admit on their website that they are not sure how their device works so well (in a nutshell) and their before/after pictures are realistic. Are the scars gone? No. Are they so much better? Yes. The Dermaroller technician I see also keeps her own before/afters and is so openly honest and caring that it has restored my confidence in acne scarring treatments.

I think the most important thing is to be sceptical about everything and then draw your own conclusions after exhausting all your research options. :)

MemberMember
(@nearlydefeated)

Posted : 11/17/2012 10:33 am

Wise words Quirky Fox. And I do agree with much of what you said.

Pretty soon afterwards I knew that he was just in it for the money and after a bit of research I found that his before/after pictures were not even his
MemberMember
(@dudleydoright)

Posted : 11/17/2012 2:21 pm

NearlyDefeated, I visited a Plastic Surgeon about 2007 with the intent of doing Fraxel Re:store. At first he thought it might help but preferred plastic surgery. As I was setting up the course of treatment he came in and said it was not for me. Re:pair had not been introduced yet so I thanked him and walked out of the office. His honesty was very refreshing, and I have thrown him other business because of that. He did an excellent hair transplant on me and boobs jobs on a couple of girls I know. Not all docttors are crooks. A year later Re:pair was introduced, and it was the best thing I have ever done. Multiple Re:pairs done at the higher settings is the real thing, and anything less is like peeing in the ocean.

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/20/2012 3:23 am

Wise words Quirky Fox. And I do agree with much of what you said.

Pretty soon afterwards I knew that he was just in it for the money and after a bit of research I found that his before/after pictures were not even his

This is what gets me. I just don't understand how there is nothing to protect us from this. It is illegal and it is wicked.

I think the most important thing is to be sceptical about everything and then draw your own conclusions after exhausting all your research options

True indeed. And thank you for the information regarding derma rolling. It is something I have briefly looked into in the past, but found the thought of needles been stuck in my skin daunting and not very promising. I have to say though, it does seem the most favourable and most recommended treatment from 'real lifers' so I shall definitely look into this. I am glad you have found a technician that you have trust in. This seems to be a huge task in itself. I would love to find a 'professional' that could honestly say, that the treatment that they are performing is one that they would perform on their own son or daughter.

DudleyDoRight. Thank you for your reply.

Most people want the "Miracle Cure", and it just does not exist. Just like an incurable disease scars require constant attention, and constant treatment.

True enough, but that is kind of my point. This is what people within the medical profession should be telling us and not actually promoting a 'Miracle Cure' that does not in fact exist.

Hang in there NearlyDefeated! Sometimes it's so daunting thinking about all the crap you have to wade through before you find the answers you're looking for but they are out there. Like Dudley I am so very thankful that I have found a professional who is honest and genuine and it really makes all the difference. The money I'm spending is finally worth while. My technician even has the Dermaroller treatments herself and has showed me her own personal before/after pictures so I can say with confidence that I am in the right hands.

Whatever you do, don't give up! The fact that you're aware of the scamming that goes on is a good thing. Yeah it sucks that there are doctors and technicians out there willing to put you under just for the money, but at least you'll be able to spot them now, and go elsewhere. Knowledge is power! xx