Notifications
Clear all

Boil Scar On Chest..need Help

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/06/2012 4:32 pm

a few months ago i developed quite a big boil on my chest, that started as a very small pimple.. it gradually became bigger. lasted for about 2 weeks? throughout the 2 weeks it hurt badly.. felt like i'd been punched in the chest, a throbbing pain that wouldn't go away. and one day it just popped on its own, there was a lot of blood and pus.. excuse me for the disgusting image.

now all that's left of it is a flat, dark red scar about the size of this smiley --> neutral.gif the boil itself was quite big but the scar is surprisingly small.. anyway, it's been months and it's still there. when i press on it, i can actually feel a small bump. doesn't hurt anymore, could this be scar tissue? i'm scared to mess with it again, this was the FIRST TIME EVER that i got it. i'd never had anything like it before and it scared me.. boils are terrible. what should i do?

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/07/2012 4:53 am

That's an odd place to get a boil. It sounds more like a sebaceous cyst to me, considering that it popped like that. I had one once on my shoulder blade and it was pretty gross.

You may not be scarred though. I would leave it alone and see what happens. The redness is not scarring, but pigmentation. In some people this resolves quickly... for people like me red marks take almost a year to fade completely. I once had a burn on my hip which went bright red, it took 2 years to fade but now I can't even tell it was there. Patience is key.

If it feels like there is something still under the spot I would go see a dermatologist. If it is a sebaceous cyst then there may be part of it left that needs to be removed surgically. Just don't pick at it! :)

Good luck. :)

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/07/2012 8:03 am

to be honest, i'm not very sure if it's a boil either, i did a search on google and my symptoms seemed to match what the websites said.. why do you think it could be cyst? i just did another search and apparently sebaceous cysts are supposed to be painless. when i had the bump, it hurt like hell lol

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/08/2012 4:58 am

Just seems a bit of an odd place for one to get a boil, but you are correct, sebaceous cysts are usually painless.

I was thinking that it sounded like a sebaceous cyst since they tend to be on the "yuckier" side as they're full of a thick pus-like paste (yum!).

Maybe it was a large cystic acne spot? You can get cystic acne which is deeper in the skin and usually painful and pus-filled. Cystic acne also tends to react poorly to being squeezed or rubbed as this may increase inflammation and may cause the spot to pop on its own. How does it look now? If it's pretty flat, but still red, I would try to not touch it. The redness will leave your skin in time if you don't touch the spot. There are creams that you can get that help to reduce redness but I've never used them.

Whatever it was, it's still early days so give your body a chance to heal it. I hope some of this info helps. smile.png

MemberMember
(@nyla)

Posted : 11/08/2012 9:51 am

thank you for responding, i appreciate it. yes, i also thought it was odd... i'd never gotten anything like that on my body prior to that. i was really scared that it wouldnt heal.. anyway, i kept it occluded to prevent infection and one day i was changing the gauze, and realized the boil had burst open and the contents were all over the gauze.. again i apologize for the disgusting image lol.. i didnt touch it or fiddle with it, nothing. it was too big and i didn't want to risk it. there was a lot of gunk, pus and blood :S does that sound typical of a cyst? cysts don't usually pop on their own.

right now it's a flat, extremely red spot. i'm guessing it'll take a while to heal. :/

MemberMember
(@quirky-fox)

Posted : 11/09/2012 3:17 am

I'm one of these weird people who loves gross things, haha! So no apology needed. It does sound like a cystic acne spot to me. Cysts often burst without you touching them. If you didn't pick or squeeze it and let it naturally burst then that's good, and it was smart to keep it covered to prevent infection or spreading bacteria to the rest of your skin.

If it's flat that's a great sign! The redness is normal and you will find that it will fade in time. If you have really pale skin, like me, then it could take a few months before it's close to your normal skin colour again. If you're worried about it, I would pop something like pawpaw ointment on it to keep bacteria away and aid in healing. Pawpaw ointment has awesome healing qualities. Just don't pick at it and it'll be fine. smile.png