Notifications
Clear all

Collagen Booster With Fraxel Re:pair

MemberMember
(@lindseyloowho)

Posted : 10/12/2012 3:29 pm

Hello all. I am having Fraxel re:pair with subcision on Oct 18th and am wondering if anyone has a recomendation for any type of supplement that could possibly help with boosting collagen production afterward. Something that I could purchase at a local healthfood store would be ideal. Has anyone used something that was helpful with the healing process as well? My doctor is going to do Omnilux light treatments to help with the healing process but any type of advice or input would be useful at this time! Also feel free to share positive experiences because that would pobably help to ease some anxiety. I am excited, skeptical and nervous all rolled into one big ball of energy! Thanks

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 10/12/2012 5:00 pm

I'm not sure what kind of aftercare you need to have immediately after the laser, but I've recently purchased Terproline Professional and been using it on a new healing scar for a couple of weeks, and so far liking it very much. It does seem to aid with healing and is supposed to help boost collagen synthesis, so I plan to use it as a topical after future scar treatments. There may be more effective topicals out there as well, but nothing else that is easily available has come across in my search. You'd need to order it from an online shop (Skinmed, I believe), so it probably wouldn't arrive by the 18th, but soon enough to be still helpful, I'm sure.

If you are talking about diet, a regular healthy diet with some more protein and vitamin C might help. I've used collagen powder and hyaluronic acid supplements in the past, but I don't know if they are that effective in skin's collagen synthesis (dietary collagen at least will be broken down into amino acids when digested, which may or may not be used for collagen synthesis later in the body). I still use collagen powder, because I have a strange gut feeling that it's good for my health, but I don't expect it to make much of a difference to my skin.

Topical vit C might also help (and is supposed to be much more effective than oral vitamin C). I would think that this may not be necessary, although I haven't looked into it much yet myself. Apparently it's best self-made because it oxidizes easily. Sarah Vaughter at least has good instructions on how to make vitamin C serum from ascorbic acid powder on her website:

Making a 5% vit. C solution

Put half of a flat teaspoon of vit. C into the small brown bottle we sell and add ten flat teaspoons of hot

water. With "flat" it is meant that the vit. C should not be heaped onto the spoon but lying flat, just like the

water in the teaspoon. If you wish to prepare a larger quantity to be stored in a larger container, use 19

teaspoons of water and 1 flat spoon of vitamin C. Alternatively, you can use table spoons instead of

teaspoons, or any other method to reliable add one part of vit. C to 19 parts of water. Shake until the

crystals have dissolved. The warmer the water, the faster this goes. This 5% vit. C solution still has the

consistency of water and tastes slightly acidic. There is no need to worry that warm water will degrade the

vitamin C. Vitamin C is degraded by food enzymes at at lukewarm temperature ranges, and regardless, the

water will cool off while you spoon it into the container. It is best to use very hot water, because the

warmer the water has been heated, the less dissolved oxygen it contains and oxygen degrades vit. C much

more than hot water does. Vitamin C dissolves poorly in cold water.

Applying vit. C every second or third day is sufficient. Vitamin C remains in the skin for several days,

gradually diminishing in concentration. Vitamin C is not fat-soluble so before you apply it you must remove

oils from your skin, otherwise the vit. C will not be able to penetrate your skin through the oily layer.

Apply vit. C in the evening since it is sensitive to sunlight.

Use your hand or a cotton pad to apply it and wash it off the next morning.

Recommendation: Wash your skin with oil-free cleanser or soap, apply vit. C serum, wait for half an

hour or so and then apply the Infadolan ointment.

Prepare small quantities of vit. C serum at a time, to ensure it is always fresh and un-oxidized. You

should make a new batch approximately once every 20 days.

If the vit. C serum is too irritating to your skin, add more water. If your skin shows no irritation you

can add more vit. C powder to your container.