Notifications
Clear all

Platelet Rich Plasma + Dermaroller / Derma Stamp

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 02/04/2012 9:38 am

Hi, i've been experimenting with home made Platelet Rich Plasma combined with Derma stamp. I made another thread documenting my results but it's getting pretty long now.

To sum up my results as briefly as possible, i've discovered that PRP does indeed shorten recovery times after using a 1.5mm derma stamp compared to using other topicals such as Vitamin C etc....

In October I used PRP for the first itme (applied topically after needling) and my skin was more or less completely recovered within 3 days. In December I had another treatment, this time without PRP, using only manufactured topicals such as Vitamin C, Growth Factor Serums and such, and it took the usual 5 days to recover. However this prolonged recovery may be due to other factors, I can't be 100% sure at this point.

I will do another treatment within the next month, hopefully this will establish whether PRP is worth the effort.

One difference for this latest treatment will be the addition of Thrombin. Basically when you apply PRP you need to add something to activate the Platelets which in turn releases growth factors. In October I had used 10% Calcium Chloride which is a rather mild activator, Thrombin on the other hand will immediately activate the Platelets and accelerate healing and remodelling of the skin. This is the theory anyway.

Will post results here, negative or positive. Wish me luck.

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 03/19/2012 7:16 am

Hi guys, will go ahead with the treatment next week. One minor change, i'm going to use something called the 'Dermapen' this time instead of my usual derma stamp. It's pretty much the same thing but automated. A video of it being used with Platelet Rich Plasma of all things -

Will let you know my thoughts on both the Dermapen and the effects of needling PRP into the skin.

MemberMember
(@451)

Posted : 03/19/2012 6:00 pm

Hey LO,

Good luck. That dermapen looks great. I went to the website but they only sell to drs and acupuncturists. Where are you getting yours, the cost, etc?

Thanks in advance.

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 03/20/2012 2:51 am

Hey LO,

Good luck. That dermapen looks great. I went to the website but they only sell to drs and acupuncturists. Where are you getting yours, the cost, etc?

Thanks in advance.

To be honest I don't think the Dermapen is necessary to get results, it's essentially the same thing as a derma stamp, just automated. I only bought it 'cos I have cash to spare right now.

It cost me around 500 euros including shipping and a batch of disposable needle heads. I bought it from a spanish website.

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 03/31/2012 8:04 am

Did the treatment last night, and i'm really really happy with the way it went. The creation of the PRP went smoothly and i'm really liking the dermapen. This has been the most thorough needling treatment i've done so far. You get a lot more even coverage and it's also less painful than a derma stamp. Saying that, it is a luxury and I only recommend it over the derma stamp if your wealthy and money isn't an issue.

And regarding PRP, this is the first time i've used a proper activator (Thrombin) so i'm looking forward to the results. My skin seems to be healing nicely already, mostly just redness, not many blood spots.

Essentially what i've applied is Platelet Gel (PRP mixed with Thrombin) and Fibrin Glue (PPP mixed with Thrombin). Both pretty common wound healing protocols. I'm not sure why it's isn't more widely used for scar treatments, must be the inconvenience of drawing the blood etc...

Will update in a couple days.

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 04/01/2012 10:27 pm

About 800 start up, would be considerably less if I used a derma stamp instead of the dermapen but I can afford it right now.

MemberMember
(@zante)

Posted : 04/06/2012 2:17 pm

I don't suppose that, being so thorough, you have photos? :)

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 05/21/2012 6:44 pm

Well I have no before shots so i'm not sure how beneficial they will be. I'm also paranoid about someone recognizing me. I will consider close-ups after my next treatment.

MemberMember
(@guitarbandka)

Posted : 05/28/2012 12:49 pm

hi,Liquid_Ocelot

i have read ur post

and have some questions to ask

hope u can answer

1.u mention the three step centrifugation method

what's the centrifuge's setting of step 1,2,3 ??

2.and about the Thrombin, you brought human, Bovine or Porcine??

cos i was told human is better,but more expensive

but i dunno is it true or not

3.the one spin tube,is it bd vacurtainer cell preparation tube with sodium heparin?

thx so much!!!!

MemberMember
(@liquid_ocelot)

Posted : 05/28/2012 1:39 pm

There's no settings on my centrifuge, it's fixed speed 3300 rpm. 10 minutes each spin.

It's bovine thrombin. Don't think it makes a difference if you use human or bovine as long as it activates the platelets. However make sure you're not allergic.

The one spin tube is sodium citrate. Haven't used it and don't think I need to. You need a more powerful centrifuge to use them anyway, and the tubes themselves cost like 600.

I don't use vacutainers anymore, I get the phlebotomist to fill the blood in a syringe prefilled with anti-coagulant (taken from the yellow vacutainers) then put them into centrifuge tubes. Or alternatively you can just put the blood into the vacutainers you took the anti-coagulant from.

Btw I hope you're not drawing your own blood or doing anything dangerous.

MemberMember
(@nenuphar)

Posted : 05/13/2013 1:15 pm

Hi Liquid_Ocelot!

Thank you for a very informative and inspiring thread!

Just one question, how much thrombin do you use for how much blood?

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 05/13/2013 11:57 pm

with that money I think you can get it done professionally

MemberMember
(@nenuphar)

Posted : 05/14/2013 4:58 pm

with that money I think you can get it done professionally

Well I think it is actually a lot cheaper than getting it done professionally. Once you have the stuff and you know the method, you can perform it as many times as you want... Plus I only trust my own hands and knowledge.

MemberMember
(@nenuphar)

Posted : 05/20/2013 5:42 pm

By the way, I´ve just checked the prices in my country and it´s 700 USD for one (!!!) treatment. Well that´s just ridiculous. Even if I had that money on a table I wouldn´t give it to them cause it just simply insults me that they ask so much for it :) I hope the prices are better in your country...

MemberMember
(@krassuz)

Posted : 04/30/2014 2:02 am

Liquid,

is really on to some good stuff.

She deserves some credit. I am experimenting this same method but with placenta