Notifications
Clear all

Tca Cross Made My Scars Worse? Please Need Advice 🙁

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/15/2011 12:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I just had TCA cross done two weeks ago with the only doctor who does it around here and who has seemed very experienced and professional. Last year I had TCA cross + whole face TCA peel done by him twice, and even though I didn't notice remarkable improvements on my scars, I liked the results.

Now, I decided to do it just once more, and then I would be done with the scar treatments for good. This time just the cross to see if that made a difference (if the scabs would then fall off later and heal better).

Most of the scabs have fallen off today and yesterday, I still have a couple left. Previously the scabs all fell a couple days earlier. What surprised compared to my previous treatments, was how red the scars are. Incredibly red, and very very dark red at that. My doctor has said the redness is a good sign, however, so that alone wouldn't concern me.

However, I SWEAR some of the former, almost unnoticeable, subtle scars have become larger, sharper and deeper than before. Far worse, in other words. I applied make-up on a couple of them to see if it made a difference, but it just accentuated the fact that they seem deeper. Before I couldn't see my scars when I put on make up in my bathroom from around 0.4 meter distance, now I can. Clearly.

Anyone who has experience, could you please tell me what you think? Has my worst fear become true and the TCA has actually worsened my old scars / created new scars on top of the old ones??? sad.png Could it be that these could still somehow "fill out", or that because I didn't do TCA on my whole face, the rest of the skin is more raised (because of dead skin cells etc) and the peeled areas thus look more indented than they really are?

I've been crying my eyes off after seeing what my scars now look like. They're so, so, so much worse. I have a telephone appointment with the doctor tomorrow, but I don't see how this could somehow improve much even with time. The doctor said the scars should look better immediately, but they've never looked worse. Some of them haven't changed, but there are around 5-6 that look very red, and a lot larger, deeper and sharper.

Has anyone else had these kinds of experiences? Do the scars remain as bad as they first appear, or do they soften or raise at all?

I'm so depressed and scared and shocked. I'm supposed to meet my boyfriend's family over Christmas and I feel like hiding in my home and not seeing anyone at all.

Thanks for any help.

MemberMember
(@dazarooni)

Posted : 12/15/2011 12:42 pm

I reckon most people who've had TCA Cross think their scars look worse a few weeks after treatment. The scars are red and raw as they've just had acid put on them. Two weeks is still in the early stages, things should settle down after a month and redness should begin to go away.

I would advise that you try to relax, I've been in the same position. Patience is what is required the most with TCA Cross because it takes months to see results, and gradual ones at that.

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/15/2011 1:03 pm

I really hope you're right. :/ I know they are supposed to look worse at first. I'm just amazed at the difference with a couple of the scars, which now are clearly deeper and larger. I'm scared something has gone wrong, the acid was too strong or the scabs fell off too quickly or something.

Also since I've had TCA cross and then a peel to the rest of my face done (at the same time) twice and I never noticed any scar look much worse at any point then. (Actually my skin looked normal and/or very good immediately after the skin had peeled). It's just bizarre. Why didn't I have the same happen last year? As far as I know the acid wasn't stronger this time, I think the doctor would've mentioned if it had been.

Thanks so much for the help, however. I guess I'll try to be patient and wait a few months. This is so different than last time, I don't know at all whether this was a normal reaction or a catastrophe. :/

Does anyone know how much exactly it would take for the redness to fade away, now that they are very very red? can I even put make-up on the scars now? and when are they supposed to fill out, after 1-3 months or so?

ps. Dazarooni, I see you're from Scotland! I'm just going to visit Scotland for the first time next week, very excited. [Edited image out]

Only I assumed it would be a visit during which I would be looking dazzling and impress my boyfriend's family, now I'm not so sure. [Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@austra)

Posted : 12/15/2011 1:31 pm

I feel much calmer now, by the way. Thank you! Even if the bad-looking scars don't improve, others aren't going to notice them the way I do, I suppose.

I would be very very happy if my skin just returned to the state it was in before this treatment during the next few months, let alone improve. We'll see. I never realized how scary getting TCA Cross done is.

MemberMember
(@dazarooni)

Posted : 12/15/2011 5:32 pm

You're still in the recovering stages, and it's normal to think that your scars look worse. I think with many acne scarring treatments, things look worse before they look better.

I found that redness took 1-2 months to subside with my TCA Cross treatments. I guess it depends on whether the physician applies a single application to the scars or a few applications as this would be more aggressive.

When you wash your face in the first few weeks or even touch your skin, it really makes the scars look red and raw.

I'd wait until 2 months have passed and then you should notice that the redness should have faded and improvements may be visible.

With regards to putting make up on, I think that most physicians normally advise that once the crusts have come off, you can use makeup.

PS- I'm in Scotland yes and have been here 12 years, but I'm from Northern Ireland originally [Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@user141438)

Posted : 02/03/2014 12:45 am

I'm curious if the scars eventually looked better?...

MemberMember
(@u1971)

Posted : 02/03/2014 12:59 pm

I'm curious if the scars eventually looked better?...

She has answered questions about her results on the thread below, from post #9 on:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/334558-what-gives-you-hope/?p=3390360

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 02/03/2014 1:58 pm

I thought that you need at least 3 treatments to see an improvement

MemberMember
(@yaltvisentini)

Posted : 01/13/2019 4:13 pm

Hi I recently did a Tca cross peel 100 prcent athome on my ice pick scars with a toothpick. I did press a bit on my scar with the toothpick for the acid to reach the bottom of the scar however it has been 3 days now and I see that I have some deeper brown toothpick holes all over my face while it ws less noticeable before.Will the tca fill the gap in and produce collagen? Or did i do a mistake by pressing a bit with the toothpick. I think I did the mistake to apply it on my chickenpox tooand read later that this could do more damage.

Any suggestions please ?

[Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/14/2019 12:51 pm

@YaltVisentiniOh wow, ... no one will respond to this post, ... it's very old. 3 days,... it takes 3 months after cross to see the full effects of the treatment. 3 days your still healing. Yes they can get deeper before filling up a bit. This is why we have the acid peel guide, at the top of the scar treatments sub, pinned. I always suggest to test spot one to see how you do with it. 100% is supposed to be a Dr's treatment, so you could cause damage with that. The picture did not attach, you can make your own post if you wish in the scar treatments sub. You realize that tca cross is a slow process, many treatments are needed. After 1 you will not get full"filling in." Also by design the scars will get wider and the scar floor will raise. This is why you do laser or a acid peel for texture latter on. Chickenpox with acid do not do well with acid treatments, it's better to do some filler, and laser with that.