Notifications
Clear all

Kenalog Indent

MemberMember
(@virgo9762)

Posted : 10/16/2010 11:41 am

Hi, I have an indent (actually several) from a kenalog injection. My question is, has anyone had similar problem from kenalog and they actually filled in. I was told this could take six months. Just wondering if anyone's ever filled evening out their skin. So frustated with this problem. I wish there was a laser that could smooth everything out. Any suggestions!!

MemberMember
(@violet)

Posted : 10/26/2010 3:17 am

Virgo, ALL of my scars except 2 were the result of over correction with Kenalog injections. They have all been around for many years. The oldest is probably 16 years old and the newest is probably 7 years old. These guys don't correct themselves. Sorry. Although I have heard that sometimes they do and certainly I have had many more injections than I have dents left behind so it's possible that some did correct themselves but I don't have any specific memory of one being there that then later disappeared.

MemberMember
(@wantonwonderer)

Posted : 10/26/2010 4:10 pm

If the indents are fairly recent there is a good chance they will fill in. Sometimes the kenalog leads to temporary atrophy, which corrects itself in time. I had a fairly large diameter dent on the top of my forehead from an injection which completely filled in within a few months. Apparently the forehead is prone to these due to very little collagen and fat. So there is still hope! And please remember that cysts may leave scars whether injected or not, so it's hard to tell with certainty whether a permanent scar would have occured regardless. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@virgo9762)

Posted : 10/26/2010 5:08 pm

If the indents are fairly recent there is a good chance they will fill in. Sometimes the kenalog leads to temporary atrophy, which corrects itself in time. I had a fairly large diameter dent on the top of my forehead from an injection which completely filled in within a few months. Apparently the forehead is prone to these due to very little collagen and fat. So there is still hope! And please remember that cysts may leave scars whether injected or not, so it's hard to tell with certainty whether a permanent scar would have occured regardless. Good luck!

Thanks. It is the waiting that is killing me.

MemberMember
(@2worriedmom)

Posted : 08/09/2013 2:42 pm

Hi, I have an indent (actually several) from a kenalog injection. My question is, has anyone had similar problem from kenalog and they actually filled in. I was told this could take six months. Just wondering if anyone's ever filled evening out their skin. So frustated with this problem. I wish there was a laser that could smooth everything out. Any suggestions!!

Hi Virgo 9762...Did you ever have any luck with the indent filling in? Thanks.

MemberMember
(@inicomozi)

Posted : 08/21/2013 11:11 pm

Hey guys! I wanted to write and give hope to those who may believe that their face is indented forever because of a steroid injections. In late April, I got a a pimple injected and a pulsed dye laser on a pimple on my cheek. Due to the bruising from the pulsed dye laser, which was supposed to last 1-2 weeks, I'm not sure exactly when the indent started (as the area was so dark). But 17 days after the procedures, after I noted that the area was indented and still dark, I went back to see my doctor, who told me that it was not indented and that I was just experiencing hyperpigmentation from the laser. As relieved as I was to hear him say that, I still worried that it was indented, so I went to Stanford University hospital for a second opinion. They told me that the mark on my face was, indeed, indented and that it was from the steroid injection rather than the pulsed dye laser. This was four months ago and it has been such an emotional rollercoaster since then. I spent hours googling kenalog injection indentation, crying to my friends and mother, staring at my face, and avoiding the sun (as to not make it darker, per my doctor's recommendation). Two months ago, I found the article on saline injection and brought it to Dr. Gladstone (in Palo Alto). He consulted with one of the authors of the article (as Dr. Gladstone is an editor of the journal where it was published) and even connected me to that author (Dr. Goldman). The author told me that he's done the saline procedure hundreds of times, and he 100% of the patients have gotten to 100% resolution. This was a HUGE relief, because I was pretty sure that my face would be permanently damaged, as it had not improved in 2 months at all. In face, at that point, Dr. Gladstone had injected the area with 3 cc's of saline, and it bruised horribly for 2 weeks that I was afraid the saline was making it worse. A month ago, I proceeded with saline injections, but this time getting 10 cc'd injected instead of 3. I put ice on the area immediately after each injection for 20 minutes, and my bruising has been extremely minimal since then. At this point, I have had 5 weeks injections of saline, and the indentation appears to have resolved by 95% (my last injection was yesterday)! I still have hyperpigmentation, so it's hard to say for sure, but the area appears to be smooth! Saline injection works - it really does. So if your skin is indented after a kenalog/steroid shot, don't worry - there is a way to fix it safely. This whole nightmare seems to be almost over for me (although it's still dark, I'm just so grateful that it's not indented and that the color should be permanent) and I am happy to be there to help/support/listen to others who may be going through it. Feel free to reach out to me to on here or on my gmail ([Removed personal information]) at any time if you are going through this whole thing and need to talk. And most importantly, don't stare at your indentation in the mirror for hours like I did, and don't give up hope that it will completely resolve - it will smile.png

Warmly,

Inna

MemberMember
(@amm7777)

Posted : 12/02/2013 2:20 pm

Hi Virgo,

This is my first post. I got a kenalog injection into a small cyst onto my forehead by my old dermatologist and 2 weeks later an indentation has formed. It got worse for a few days and seems to be stable now. How long does this take to go away. I asked my (new) dermatologist about saline but she said it was for temporary fill, may bruise but does not make the dent actually fill in faster. I am really hoping this goes away becaust it is in the middle of my forehead! Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

-AM7