Notifications
Clear all

Starting vibraderm sessions

MemberMember
(@themintyness)

Posted : 08/17/2010 1:16 pm

Several years ago, I had the worst case of cystic acne in my life (I was about 21 years old then). I came here and read basically everything, and the acne.org products really healed my acne.

I usually just get the superficial pimple here and there now. I still have the scars, though. I just started a series of vibraderm, which is an alternative to microdermasion. I decided to get it because it's what my dermatologist's office uses, and they really do not overcharge for their services. I did some research on it first and it seems to have comparable results to traditional microdermabrasion. They use paddles covered with abrasive particles hooked up to a machine. My aesthetician used two different paddles: one was finer than the other; one session took about 20 minutes. The cost of the paddles was about $40 and they can be used for up to 6 sessions. The session itself was about $80.

It felt like my face was being massaged by a big vibrating massager. It didn't hurt, the stinging only came afterwards.

The only thing I regret is that my aesthetician and I both figured the tretinoin (Retin-A) I'm on will penetrate better that session, so I applied it that night and the next morning, my skin was covered in hives. What happened is that my skin went into shock; too much going on for my skin! My skin was fine, though, after 2 or 3 days.

My next session is in a week, these sessions are better if they're in a series, 1-2 weeks apart. It's expensive but I want my scars to get better faster! I'm going to stop using my Retin-A probably a few days before my next session, and definitely not afterwards!

So I definitely recommend Vibraderm, if you have access to it in your area, I'd definitely recommend it because my redness subsided within about 8 hours after the session. The time would probably be shorter for other people because I have sensitive skin and I also went to bikram yoga (very hot) afterwards, so the redness was probably prolonged.

But I would not recommend it to people with nodular acne--it could damage your skin.

MemberMember
(@emma9321)

Posted : 08/18/2010 7:23 pm

what type of scars do you have?

I was considering vibraderm but though it would be a waste of money for my particular scars.

Please let me know how your sessions go!

MemberMember
(@themintyness)

Posted : 08/18/2010 8:35 pm

what type of scars do you have?

I was considering vibraderm but though it would be a waste of money for my particular scars.

Please let me know how your sessions go!

I have some indented ones like ice pick scars I think they're called; the vibraderm sessions won't really change those. But I have some scars that are red marks, it's been 2ish years for me and they've faded to a light pink, kind of shinier than my normal skin. I'm Asian so when I drink my skin turns reddish and those former red marks are super purple/red and scary looking.

I will definitely update! I have another session next week. Sorry if I sound like an infomercial, I read up on a fair amount of it. You can go to their website, it's vibraderm.com or something like that. They have a video that pretty much sums up the experience. Their website is kind of cheesy looking, but my dermatologist's practice is pretty up to date on all the new stuff so I feel pretty confident about it.

It's been 6 days and my skin is looking great. I use the Clarisonic PRO brush (not sure if I mentioned it) to supplement the whole process. I've never had microdermabrasion (the traditional kind) but I do know from research that neither vibraderm or regular microderm will give you miracle results...but I'm basically hoping that vibraderm will expedite the healing process for my flat red mark scars. It seems like a series of vibraderm sessions will help the appearance of my scars by say, 6 months instead of just waiting that long.

For me, I waited until

1. I had the money
  2. I had the time (each session is about 20 min. for me, but I'm finally out of school and in a job where I can schedule my workday around occasional appointments)
  3. my skin had gotten to a point where the sessions help the appearance and not damage it

I hope that made sense...I just realized I typed out a long-winded reply! Definitely get a consultation first, and if you don't qualify for vibraderm there are always other options. On my first session, I had a few small pimples but I was still given the OK to get it.

MemberMember
(@themintyness)

Posted : 08/25/2010 11:56 am

I just got my second vibraderm session a few hours ago! This time the redness went away within 2 hours. My skin is so soft, trying hard not to touch it! My aesthetician said that for me, it's better to do my sessions within 2 weeks of each other...for other people 1 week might be better to get deeper into the layers of skin but my skin appears to be sensitive.

Works for me! Right now, my skin is looking great...I've never had good skin my entire life, but my face is kind of itchy. I'm telling myself not. to. scratch.

MemberMember
(@emma9321)

Posted : 08/25/2010 4:31 pm

in your opinion is vibraderm better than microdermabrasion?

I really want to get either one done, but the person who does vibraderm in my area charges a $120 consultation fee and the lady who does microdermabrasion has no charge!

Not sure what to do!

MemberMember
(@themintyness)

Posted : 08/25/2010 10:18 pm

in your opinion is vibraderm better than microdermabrasion?

I really want to get either one done, but the person who does vibraderm in my area charges a $120 consultation fee and the lady who does microdermabrasion has no charge!

Not sure what to do!

A $120 charge for just a consultation visit sounds like a rip-off to me. I have never had a traditional microdermabrasion done (with crystals) so I cannot really say. I went to my dermatologist's office and they offer the vibradermabrasion as their version of microdermabrasion. Their consultation is free and the paddles are $40, and each session is $80. The paddles should last about 6 sessions, or at least that's what I'm told.

I would really recommend that you go to a dermatologist's office (or one that has a medical spa type of place). That way, you will not get ripped off (if they're a good, ethical practice) and you'll know they're professionals. At least, that's how I feel. That way, whether they offer microderm or vibraderm, it'll be a better deal overall. I do know that the results of microderm and vibraderm are about the same. Vibradermabrasion is cleaner and the downtime of healing seems to be easier from the research that I've read.

Let me know about what you're gonna do! Feel free to send me a message if you want.

MemberMember
(@themintyness)

Posted : 08/25/2010 10:23 pm

I also just want to reiterate, a consultation that costs $120 is not worth it, because it might not even be right for your type of skin! So you could potentially end up out of a lot of money, and even if it was right for your skin, that's good money that could've gone to the sessions! So yeah. I know I ramble, but try to go to a good dermatologist! Your family doctor/primary care provider doc can give you a referral.

MemberMember
(@emma9321)

Posted : 08/27/2010 10:54 am

I know the consultation fee is ridiculous, but i really want to try vibraderm because i have read that it is not as irritating to sensitive skin as microdermabrasion.

Im back at college now and won't be able to get a full series done of either until winter break. But please do update me on your progress!

Good luck :D

MemberMember
(@themintyness)

Posted : 08/30/2010 1:03 pm

Thanks, and good luck! I really like the vibraderm...I have sensitive skin but the redness goes within 2 hours away as long as I use super-gentle lotion afterwards.

Maybe you can try negotiating? It's usually done in a series anyway so you'd be almost guaranteeing repeat business for them.

I will definitely update, and I look forward to your progress as well! Good luck with your semester, too! I've been out of college for over a year and I miss it!

MemberMember
(@themintyness)

Posted : 09/10/2010 9:13 pm

Had my third session today! My redness subsided in less than an hour (still more than 30 minutes, though). I have some icepick scars scattered across my cheeks and I can see some of the more shallow ones filling out a little.

I know it's mostly a superficial procedure, but it is definitely making a difference for my skin and my flat scars on the side of my left cheek. It's getting the top layer of my skin off faster and letting the new skin underneath come out faster. The tretinoin is definitely helping...I'm still using it 72 hrs pre and post procedure to avoid inflammation.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but my esthetician uses an awesome lotion/hydrator called Skinceuticals B5 gel...didn't want to get suckered in but I've heard good things about it...so I decided to splurge and get it. I put a few drops of it on my face tonight, then put on acne.org moisturizer...MY SKIN LOOKS SO GOOD.

I also notice a marked decrease in the number and size of blackheads. Mine are deep and numerous...I'm so pleasantly surprised by this! I mean, I knew with my regimen and care they'd go away in a few months/half a year but the fact that I see a marked difference makes it worth it for me.

MemberMember
(@suyi011)

Posted : 11/28/2010 10:52 am

Hello,

Please help me. It has been a couple months, do you still recommend vibraderm. I was also wondering if the vibraderm helped getting rid of your indented acne scars at all, and if so, after how many sessions? Also, which doctor did you go to or recommend? I live in LA. Thanks so much for your help.

MemberMember
(@foreverandpatience)

Posted : 11/27/2012 4:19 pm

What do you mean by flat scars? Did they go away?