Notifications
Clear all

manuka honey....wow

MemberMember
(@jguy164)

Posted : 04/26/2009 2:05 pm

HI, keep us updated and lets see if the red marks are still permentant after a month or 2 :) HIGH HOPES!!

also, off the topic, does anyone know if acid peels (Glycolic, Lactic, Salicylic, TCA) have actual permenant results on ice pick scars, by permenant i mean NEVER come back- ive read somewhere they come back after 6 months and its not permenant but some have claimed a complete clearance of scars--maybe it is different for each person idk? thanks

MemberMember
(@amanda82)

Posted : 06/25/2009 9:49 am

Hey I'm looking into this for an anti-bacterial agent, is it possible that your immune system might fight the anti-bacterial properties of manuka honey and deem it useless over time?

No Manuka Honey won't and can't become less effective over time. The way Manuka Honey works is that when it is in contact with bacteria it produces hydrogen peroxide that kills bacteria. Hydrogen peroxide on your skin sounds scary but its absolutely fine and is in such tiny doses its no problem. If you were to dip your face to dip your face in hydrogen peroxide that would be seriously bad! (don't try it....).

All honey is antibacterial to an extent due to the sugar content (bacteria die in the presence of to much sugar); but Manuka Honey has been found to have a unique manuka factor (UMF) which makes it much more antibacterial and is given a grading. The higher the UMF the stronger the antibacterial effect. I would say anything UMF 10 or up is fine for acne. Manuka honey has also been found to have added benefits of reducing inflammation and redness, promoting healing, reducing scaring and reduce wound pain. All this evidence is from hundreds of reliable clinical trials on wounds infected with super bugs resistant to antibiotics, pressure sores (wounds caused by pressure that often never heal or come back), surgical scars and burns. Its regarded by many to be the perfect all round wound healer as it does everything you want.

As with any antibacterial you dont want to kill all the bacteria on your skin all the time, as its normal to have bacteria on your skin and shouldn't cause problems most of the time. I do get spots and what I find really works is using manuka as a face mask maybe once a week, less or more depending on my skin. Smear it on and leave it on for maybe 30-60 mins and gently wash of with warm cotton wool. Or you can just dab it on spots in between. Using to often wont let the normal bacteria grow back. Its just trial and error what right for you. My skin is a thousand times better than it used to be. I hardly ever get spots and when I do get one its heal very quickly without a mark. If I dap with manuka early it usually goes away before its appears properly.

Taking orally can help digestion and stomach ulcers but not acne.

Its incredibly rare to have a skin reaction to manuka honey and its very soothing and gentle. Its certainly worth trying. I love manuka and use its for cuts and grazes instead of antiseptic works much better and doesn't sting!

Amanda (I've a biochemist who researches new medications and find natural stuff very interesting)

MemberMember
(@paintball4lifepk)

Posted : 07/08/2009 1:27 am

Can anyone recommend the most appropriate UMF rating for doing a honey facial mask?

I read from Manuka honey USA that you should use umf 15+ but no higher.

MemberMember
(@ocean27)

Posted : 07/14/2009 12:23 am

i tried putting the honey on some of my scars a couple of weeks ago and omg it acutally works!!

Theyve gone lighter in colour and also i put some on a pimple that id popped a while ago and the honey seems to have sped up the process of healing - the very next day i noticed a scab which later fell off leaving a faint red mark which is getting fainter and fainter.

im gonna keep using this and will keep you guys posted

MemberMember
(@ance)

Posted : 07/16/2009 6:18 pm

i tried putting the honey on some of my scars a couple of weeks ago and omg it acutally works!!

Theyve gone lighter in colour and also i put some on a pimple that id popped a while ago and the honey seems to have sped up the process of healing - the very next day i noticed a scab which later fell off leaving a faint red mark which is getting fainter and fainter.

Hey,

I have started using comvita manuka honey 15 2 weeks ago. I can see the marks got little lighter but not completley faded. Should I give it some more time.

Have you cleared acne marks completely now. Can I clear my acne my next month, before my birthday using this. Any other suggestions to clear my acne scars completely by early next month

MemberMember
(@xmashax)

Posted : 07/17/2009 8:04 pm

I've been hearing many great things about manuka honey. I recently got manuka 8+ but I found another jar in my local health food store that has 400+. It's really expensive, but what the heck, I'll try it anyway.

MemberMember
(@ocean27)

Posted : 07/20/2009 4:35 am

Hey,

I have started using comvita manuka honey 15 2 weeks ago. I can see the marks got little lighter but not completley faded. Should I give it some more time.

Have you cleared acne marks completely now. Can I clear my acne my next month, before my birthday using this. Any other suggestions to clear my acne scars completely by early next month

Hi!!!!

my marks havent completely gone away but theres definately been an improvement in colour. the scab that i had before(which i was SURE was gonna leave a scar since im on accutane and my skin is pretty weak) has gone and i have no scar there!

I think you should give it more time cos if youre seeing results then itll get better and better :D

im not sure if you can clear the marks by nxt month cos for me, i saw fast results in recent marks that i got on my skin, not the old ones.- these are taking longer to fade.

i havent really tried anything else that works, but i'll keep u updated :)

good luck

MemberMember
(@ance)

Posted : 07/24/2009 10:44 am

Hey,

Hi!!!!

my marks havent completely gone away but theres definately been an improvement in colour. the scab that i had before(which i was SURE was gonna leave a scar since im on accutane and my skin is pretty weak) has gone and i have no scar there!

I think you should give it more time cos if youre seeing results then itll get better and better :D

im not sure if you can clear the marks by nxt month cos for me, i saw fast results in recent marks that i got on my skin, not the old ones.- these are taking longer to fade.

i havent really tried anything else that works, but i'll keep u updated :)

good luck

Hi....

Thankyou for the reply....By the way whats the manuka honey u r using...i have been using comvita umf 15 and have recently got umf too. what do u suggest? And how long and how many times do you use the it?

MemberMember
(@ance)

Posted : 07/25/2009 3:06 pm

You guys know that I am based in NZ. Ok there was a recent article in Consumer jan/feb 2004 (a respected and impartial publication which tests products and services against their claims and publish their findings) about Manuka Honey. Consumer tested the UMF/antibaterial activity claims here is a summary of results....

:D given the thumbs up for having high anti bacterial activity.

Beesonline UMF 15+

Comvita Active Manuka Honey UMF 15+

Happy Valley Certified Organic Active 10+

Healtheries - Apodea Active UMF10

Honey NZ Active UMF 10+

Kiwi Gold Active Active 15+

Kiwi Natural Health Active UMF 12+

Summer Glow Apiaries - Active UMF16

those to avoid - having uneven or undetectable antibaterial action:

New Zealand Gold

Comvita Active UMF5+

Honeyland New Zealand

Bee Healthy Active

Green Top Deer Horn

Hislops Natures Sweetness

Made in New Zealand Ltd. Organic

Manuka Honey UMF 12 Active

Red Seal New Zealand Manuka Honey

Hope it was useful for someone - cos it was boring to type

Hey....

Is comvita manuka honey 5+ bad for acne marks...i have been using comvita 15+ but recently got 5+ (as it was half the price); I saw your comments after ordering it; Please let me if doesn't for acne marks....:)

MemberMember
(@ocean27)

Posted : 07/27/2009 4:00 am

Hi....

Thankyou for the reply....By the way whats the manuka honey u r using...i have been using comvita umf 15 and have recently got umf too. what do u suggest? And how long and how many times do you use the it?

Im using comvita umf 20. i havent tried any of the other ones cos this was the one i already had at home so i started using it after i found this thread :)

if youre seeing results with the umf15, its definately working for you so i suggest you continue using it.

i apply it before i go to bed - just a dab using my finger and massaging it into my red marks after washing my face and i sleep with it on.

i also apply it in the in the mornings during the weekends (or when i usually dont go out)

Hope this helps :)

good luck

MemberMember
(@lance-martin)

Posted : 03/25/2011 6:04 am

Thanks for this nice discussion of manuka honey

Thanks and Regards

m.lance

MemberMember
(@princess87)

Posted : 04/21/2011 8:33 pm

I also have to jump on the Manuka bandwagon, after using it for about 2 weeks. It's literally the only thing that has helped my acne breakouts and HORRIBLE red marks without ruining or irritating my skin on the way. Of course 2 weeks is nothing as far as SERIOUS red marks go and mine are all still very much there BUT the 'angry' redness of them is definitely starting to diminish. The breakouts I get shrink and flake off when I next wash my face. A deep, painful cyst that was coming up on my chin never came up once I put a small blob on Manuka Oil on it. A red inflamed pimple calms and literally goes down in the matter of a few hours once given the Manuka treatment. The only thing that came somewhat close to this was BP but that irritates the crap outta my skin and helped ruin it's texture - plus even that didn't work as fast as Manuka.

MemberMember
(@evildilandaulycos-com)

Posted : 05/20/2011 9:49 pm

I just got Manuka Honey UMF 20+. I am trying this out to see if it does anything for my skin.

MemberMember
(@diareads)

Posted : 05/24/2011 9:27 pm

I just got Manuka Honey UMF 20+. I am trying this out to see if it does anything for my skin.

I just got it a couple days ago and it has been making the older pimples a little smaller and a couple marks lighter. It's a small change for the past couple days, but ANY positive change and I'll take it!! Right not I have a mask on...working it on a large forehead cyst....

not sure if it works for cysts...

MemberMember
(@evildilandaulycos-com)

Posted : 06/11/2011 12:32 pm

I just got it a couple days ago and it has been making the older pimples a little smaller and a couple marks lighter. It's a small change for the past couple days, but ANY positive change and I'll take it!! Right not I have a mask on...working it on a large forehead cyst....

not sure if it works for cysts...

Did you get UMF 20+? How is it going so far with the Manuka honey for you? did it end up helping the cysts?

MemberMember
(@oneredwine)

Posted : 06/11/2011 12:41 pm

I'm using Manuka honey without a UMF rating because it's the only one I could find... anyone know a european website i can get one with a high rating from?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 05/09/2013 2:11 pm

thoughts on this to anyone who tried it recently?

MemberMember
(@tim714)

Posted : 06/06/2013 11:57 pm

I just ordered some, the UMF 20+ one. Started accutane 2 weeks ago, I'll try the honey out for a week and report back.