Notifications
Clear all

Regeneration of Human Scar Tissue with Topical Iodine

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/31/2010 11:44 am

im ready to give up on lugols now i think. i still havent seen any results.

ive been reading alot about MSM lately so im going to give that a try, orally and topically. if nothing else it will help my joints. ive heard some say they noticed improvements in scars from taking it orally and they werent even using it for scars in the first place. ive heard others say it did absolutely nothing, but they didnt apply it topically. it seems to be one of the few substances that the skin actually absorbs which is what interests me really. ive heard good things about topical application.

i dont have high hopes for it but im really at a loss as to what else there is to try.

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 05/31/2010 2:26 pm

ive been reading alot about MSM lately so im going to give that a try, orally and topically. if nothing else it will help my joints. ive heard some say they noticed improvements in scars from taking it orally and they werent even using it for scars in the first place. ive heard others say it did absolutely nothing, but they didnt apply it topically. it seems to be one of the few substances that the skin actually absorbs which is what interests me really. ive heard good things about topical application.

i dont have high hopes for it but im really at a loss as to what else there is to try.

I'm going to keep going. Altogether I havent even done the 6month point yet.

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 06/03/2010 9:59 pm

So, Seabs do you have any improvement?

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 06/04/2010 9:25 am

So, Seabs do you have any improvement?

I do not know yet. I'm going till late august and probably way beyond. I've decided to wait untill late august to make a progress judgement, this should be my 7.5 to 8month point.

There is nothing else on the market I can get a hold of so I'll stick with it.

I've also used two cameras, and the pictures do look different, but this could be down to the fact the cameras react different to lighting etc.. So when I next take photos I'm using the two cameras. This should also give me a better perception.

MemberMember
(@ylem)

Posted : 06/05/2010 10:04 am

I tried this with iodides tincture for months and never saw any results.

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 06/05/2010 10:56 am

I tried this with iodides tincture for months and never saw any results.

The history of scars treatments.

nothing works.

MemberMember
(@maldition)

Posted : 06/05/2010 7:43 pm

sydney, I do not believe anymore in nothing.

we read some news each 4 years like 'scarless healing is here' juvista,kitoscell,exc001, more tgfb3 , less tgf 1,2...decorin..gen p21 ,etc etc etc...

and the reallity is other.

year 2010 , and we have nothing.

I'm fighting many years, now I'm realistic or 'waiting' something that really works.

MemberMember
(@coconut-scar)

Posted : 07/16/2010 4:23 pm

I WOULD ASK THOSE OF YOU POLITELY WHO ARE MAKING NEGATIVE COMMENTS TOWARDS THIS FORM OF TREATMENT TO UNDERSTAND THAT NOTHING WORKS OVERNIGHT. TO TRULY BE A PATIENT ATTEMPTING TO RESOLVE THE PHYSICAL PROBLEM REQUIRES ONE TO ALSO EXERCISE THAT TITLE; TO BE PATIENT. I AM HAVING A BIT OF SUCCESS WITH THE IODINE ON MY OWN FACIAL SCARS ( I'M SORRY I HAVE NOT DOCUMENTED PROGRESS THROUGH THE USE OF A CAMERA) HOWEVER I CAN NOW SEE DEFINITE SIGNS OF REGENERATION ON A FEW SCARS : IN MY CASE I BELIEVE SINCE THESE TINY SCARS ARE ABOVE MY BROW THERE ARE ALSO NEW HAIRS GROWING OUT THAT MAY BE CONTRIBUTING TO THE GROWTH OF NEW SKIN; I AM USING A DERMROLLER AND APPLYING THE IODINE AFTERWARDS. I'VE BEEN AT THIS SINCE NOVEMBER AND I INTEND TO FOLLOW THROUGH FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES. IODINE DOES WORK BUT YOU MUST USE 5% LUGOLS AS RECOMMENDED BY DR DERRY AND YES IT WORKS SLOWLY BUT REGENERATION IS ALWAYS OCCURING..REMEMBER IT TAKES A FULL YEAR TO SEE NEW COLLAGEN THAT HAS FORMED. THIS METHOD IS NOT FOR THOSE WHO ARE SEEKING INSTANT SUCCESS. THAT'S UNREALISTIC. BUT INSTEAD FOR THOSE THAT ARE COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THEMSELVES. I'M AFRAID WE LIVE IN A FAST FOOD SOCIETY WHERE PEOPLE QUIT BEFORE THEY BEGIN. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE CONTINUING, AS I AM. AS ALWAYS I WISH YOU CONTINUED SUCCESS. STAY STRONG. STAY COMMITED. :D

MemberMember
(@smoothmove)

Posted : 07/16/2010 7:45 pm

I WOULD ASK THOSE OF YOU POLITELY WHO ARE MAKING NEGATIVE COMMENTS TOWARDS THIS FORM OF TREATMENT TO UNDERSTAND THAT NOTHING WORKS OVERNIGHT. TO TRULY BE A PATIENT ATTEMPTING TO RESOLVE THE PHYSICAL PROBLEM REQUIRES ONE TO ALSO EXERCISE THAT TITLE; TO BE PATIENT. I AM HAVING A BIT OF SUCCESS WITH THE IODINE ON MY OWN FACIAL SCARS ( I'M SORRY I HAVE NOT DOCUMENTED PROGRESS THROUGH THE USE OF A CAMERA) HOWEVER I CAN NOW SEE DEFINITE SIGNS OF REGENERATION ON A FEW SCARS : IN MY CASE I BELIEVE SINCE THESE TINY SCARS ARE ABOVE MY BROW THERE ARE ALSO NEW HAIRS GROWING OUT THAT MAY BE CONTRIBUTING TO THE GROWTH OF NEW SKIN; I AM USING A DERMROLLER AND APPLYING THE IODINE AFTERWARDS. I'VE BEEN AT THIS SINCE NOVEMBER AND I INTEND TO FOLLOW THROUGH FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES. IODINE DOES WORK BUT YOU MUST USE 5% LUGOLS AS RECOMMENDED BY DR DERRY AND YES IT WORKS SLOWLY BUT REGENERATION IS ALWAYS OCCURING..REMEMBER IT TAKES A FULL YEAR TO SEE NEW COLLAGEN THAT HAS FORMED. THIS METHOD IS NOT FOR THOSE WHO ARE SEEKING INSTANT SUCCESS. THAT'S UNREALISTIC. BUT INSTEAD FOR THOSE THAT ARE COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THEMSELVES. I'M AFRAID WE LIVE IN A FAST FOOD SOCIETY WHERE PEOPLE QUIT BEFORE THEY BEGIN. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL WHO ARE CONTINUING, AS I AM. AS ALWAYS I WISH YOU CONTINUED SUCCESS. STAY STRONG. STAY COMMITED. 😀

chill out, the caps are annoying, man.

perhaps the dermaroller has been working as a catalyst for the iodine. Way back when I read about lugol's, I believed that it would improve the results of needling, or dermarolling. But it didn't make sense to just use the iodine alone. Maybe with needles, the substance can penetrate more skin layers and effectively regenerate skin.

My question to you is, how often do you apply the iodine, and do you ever put it on directly after dermarolling?

This would be something I may consider adding in to increase my results from needling.

MemberMember
(@neomike)

Posted : 07/16/2010 9:13 pm

Hey guys,

good to see that this thread is not totally dead. I will start with 5% Iodine in the next days again.

Some words from another community:

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/natural...is-t2308-15.htm

The entries are very new. So there are people who use it too while we are talking here.

To the people who used it several month long. Did you use 5% Lugols? or something else?

It would be interesting to see how, most people used it. If nothing helps this would be okay too.

I think we should give it another try.

So long

NEO

MemberMember
(@neomike)

Posted : 07/16/2010 10:57 pm

@sydney:

Who writes in caps?

What's your problem? You don't need to read our postings. *g*

I 've brought up another thread to show that for some people 5% Lugols dilution really works.

I would not use it on tiny acne scars at your face. I think larger scars are more prone to this.

NEO

MemberMember
(@chico23)

Posted : 07/17/2010 12:33 am

I think whether hair grows or not through scars depends on a severity of a particular scar. I've got hair growing through certain scars and my bald patches (I'm 23 and I still have bald patches on the cheeks) are in places where no acne occured. I might as well have no follicles there:):)

MemberMember
(@smoothmove)

Posted : 07/17/2010 3:01 am

smooth - putting it on after needling would be the single worst thing you could do. its been known for years that wounds heal badly in dry environments and iodine is incredibly drying.

If it's the single worst thing, then how come people put iodine on cuts and scrapes? Just because you put iodine on, doesn't mean you still can't cover it up with an ointment or moisturizer. Even then, you could still wash it off once it had penetrated, and then put on something like neosporin without any ill effects.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/17/2010 9:04 am

people put iodine on cuts and scrapes because its an antiseptic. it protects from infection. it doesn't help them heal.

i tried lugols for several months on stretch marks. no results whatsoever. i was extremely disappointed. you can look back at my previous posts if you want the full story.

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 07/17/2010 9:32 pm

smooth - putting it on after needling would be the single worst thing you could do. its been known for years that wounds heal badly in dry environments and iodine is incredibly drying.

If it's the single worst thing, then how come people put iodine on cuts and scrapes? Just because you put iodine on, doesn't mean you still can't cover it up with an ointment or moisturizer. Even then, you could still wash it off once it had penetrated, and then put on something like neosporin without any ill effects.

just speaking from personal experience. i put iodine on my wounds and found they continued to scar. when i switched to neosporin - they didnt scar as much anymore. only trying to help, if you dont want it, simply dont take my advice.

I'm still going with the iodine, After about 6.5 months+ since last October, I still dont know if it will work, I'll be stopping for a week and a half at the end of August to check, And even if I cant see some progress I'll continue. (It could be working from the bottom up and the visuals might come last for all I know)

Regarding scarring: There is misinformation (maybe disinformation?) out there that iodine scars. With my personal experience 'so far' I can say, regarding my own skin, that after 6+month in no way whatsoever has iodine made scarring or made my scarring worse.

You'd think it scars you when it dries your skin but it doesn't. (IMO it doesnt scar you as it suppresses fibroblast proliferation.)

The odd scarring story here and there that are out there about iodine is one thing that has been myth busted to me personally. To my personal experience as of yet they are complete myths. Now does it regenerate scar to tissue? that is the question I want answered.

MemberMember
(@neomike)

Posted : 07/18/2010 10:55 am

@sydney_fellow:

I think your last sentence is the problem. Where are the therapies with great results? I do not see any of them. I hope that next year Juvista will indeed erase scars or make them more like normal skin. I don't see laser treatments as an example to be a very good thing for scars. Maybe we should establish a thread were people talk about there results from the different therapies available. What about body scars? YOu cannoz use fillers on every scars. This is not usefull. I think we will get in the next years good therapies which will really transform scar tissue to normal tissue. Juvista will play a role and extra cellular matrix. Perhaps recell and stem cells. Well.

I don't know. >Maybe we will here from Dr Derry again and a new case study, which shows that iodine works. But I have to admit that to wait a year seems to long for me too. I think this should be speeded a lot before using for more severe scar areas.

NEO

MemberMember
(@coconut-scar)

Posted : 07/23/2010 1:39 pm

[sorry about the caps folks but i had to make the message clear..

i am not using my dermaroller every night obviously( and i should point out this is the home roller) medical dermarollers should be left to an experienced physician as one can do damage and we don't need that at this point. i am applying iodine as directed by dr derry , 5% Lugols every night.. i have taken a couple days off.........listen to your body

and as i stated earlier i am seeing a difference after several months ..i wonder how things will look in a year or two from following this method. i am a believer in this method & i also believe one should detox as to get rid of anything in the body that will in terfere with progress..diet is everything too.

i'd like to hear from others who can share their experience so far...i am in it for the long haul..i'm reading comments from some people here who are unrealistic..nothing is going to work overnight..the body is a beautiful machine but things take time to develop... if you're not going to commit yourself than how can you expect to see changes, if you're simply not trying?

good luck folks...i'll post again in a few months.

MemberMember
(@coconut-scar)

Posted : 07/23/2010 1:43 pm

according to dr derry this works on all scars even keloids which were believed to be the hardest to flatten...let's stick to what derry has stated.....people are simply adding opinions here.

MemberMember
(@coconut-scar)

Posted : 07/25/2010 10:24 pm

YES !! Iodine does work from the bottom up..finally someone who may have actually paid attention to Dr derry's case study instead of adding what they think might or may happen.

you can also use castor or to help the iodine penetrate but even if you simply use the 5% Lugols alone it will work. regeneration occurs all the time...and yes, from the bottom up. I see improvement

MemberMember
(@starynight)

Posted : 08/06/2010 3:46 pm

I have been following this thread for a week now. Dr Derry or whatever his name is, is right. But I think the dryness is why iodine hasn't been working for us, while the substance itself has healing properties the dryness partially impairs the healing proccess. So! the solution is what you just said smoothmove. Use iodine then use an oinment or moisturizer. Why choose in between when you can't do both. I think everybody has been using iodine in this thread but hasn't used a good oinment on it. And this is why were not seeing results.

I have been using iodine on my forehead where I did a self dermabrasion using a soft nail filer

- http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/21210/

- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/DERMABRASION-REMOVES-SC-t172372.html

- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/eliminated-scars-d-t123934.html

Anyhow I have been applying iodine for the past few days, I just applied Antibiotic Ointment

Bacitracin Zinc and Polymyxin B Sulfate Ointment USP Life Brand

I also have aloe vera moisturizer

I don't expect to see results tomorrow. We'll see how it looks in 2 days

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/07/2010 12:35 pm

so anybody seeing any results?

regarding iodine working from the bottom up, my scars are still the same depth as before after 6-7 months of application, suffice to say iodine didn't work for me at all unfortunately.

good luck

MemberMember
(@seabs135)

Posted : 08/07/2010 2:57 pm

so anybody seeing any results?

regarding iodine working from the bottom up, my scars are still the same depth as before after 6-7 months of application, suffice to say iodine didn't work for me at all unfortunately.

good luck

Pepo, I'm still going, my next 1.5week break will be at the end of this month.

I'm currently continuing a cycle protocol for the rest of the month, were I have 7 to 11 days on and 2/3 days off. I think I'll even continue after.

For the past month I've been wondering if this does work, will the tissues regenerate better if I do it in a cycle? Kind of like like muscle tissue in body builders, which grow and repair without scar in cycles with exercise, and rest etc.

I'm also doing the cycle to air on the side of caution, I'm fearing overloading of iodine. I drown my the scar I'm treating massively with iodine, it must get about 5coatings twice a day Which I currently think is a lot and might bring overlaoding (but I may be wrong here) etc.

My current protocol:

2X paints a day, with five+ coatings each (get the coating dark) on a 3 to 4cm square area.

Wait four minutes put on some em oil as a skin penetrator, then if I can, I cover it up.

I aim to sense a slight micro bruise feel if I nip my scar, this IMO makes me think something is happening. Is it? I do not know.

I've just had a break for about three days, to aid in peeling and to cut out any chance of overloading with iodine. But I'm not going to say if it is working or nor working yet, but what I can say is after all the iodine trauma my skin has went through, the scarring has not got worse and the surrounding tissue has not scarred. IMO if this was another substance I used, then after this trauma I reckon I'd have made more scar. This from my personal point of view, shows, on my skin, iodine application bringing micro trauma, does not scar. Therefor to me I have personally verified that iodine does not scar my skin but this is different to regenerating scar on my skin. Other people verifying for themselves may be different.

I'll report something briefly in early september after my break.

MemberMember
(@starynight)

Posted : 08/08/2010 9:50 am

I have been following this thread for a week now. Dr Derry or whatever his name is, is right. But I think the dryness is why iodine hasn't been working for us, while the substance itself has healing properties the dryness partially impairs the healing proccess. So! the solution is what you just said smoothmove. Use iodine then use an oinment or moisturizer. Why choose in between when you can't do both. I think everybody has been using iodine in this thread but hasn't used a good oinment on it. And this is why were not seeing results.

I have been using iodine on my forehead where I did a self dermabrasion using a soft nail filer

- http://abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/21210/

- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/DERMABRASION-REMOVES-SC-t172372.html

- http://www.acne.org/messageboard/eliminated-scars-d-t123934.html

Anyhow I have been applying iodine for the past few days, I just applied Antibiotic Ointment

Bacitracin Zinc and Polymyxin B Sulfate Ointment USP Life Brand

I also have aloe vera moisturizer

I don't expect to see results tomorrow. We'll see how it looks in 2 days

DAY 2. Verdict- Guys, it works. It seems that my theory was correct.

"But I think the dryness is why iodine hasn't been working for us, while the substance itself has healing properties the dryness partially impairs the healing proccess. So! the solution is what you just said smoothmove. Use iodine then use an oinment or moisturizer."

My pitted scar (that looked like a crater) is being filled up <works on indented scar> I literally SEE the difference. Here are the details.

- [Previously on the scar that I had I performed a self deambrasion using a soft nail filer (makes your skin, flatter more regular. Makes it red too. A procedure that I do NOT recommend. Unless the below doesn't work. Try the below first, if it doesn't work do this step 1 then step2]

-step2: I have used iodine tincture for 4 days CONSISTENTLY <meaning I dont wash after and I apply twice a day) with no moisturizer.

-Then after it became leathery and hard-stained dark brown, looked like a crust (this is good dont worry)

-On day 4 I used Antibiotic Ointment Bacitracin Zinc and Polymyxin B Sulfate Ointment USP Life Brand AND Aloe after sun moisturizer Life essentials brand I combined BOTH, yes BOTH!

-After a 8-12hours skin starts peeling (This is good!)

-Now what I've done is! because I had a scab there and it got removed by the moisturizer so I recreated the environment for the scar (artifical scab) using Silicone Sheet! (research it!)

-Note that Antibiotic Ointment will also help recreate the environment because its a gel!

-I left it the silicone sheet on, even overnight, felt uncomfortable and gewy at times. Don't touch it trust me!! Do not apply pressure on the sheet! Merely cover it lightly!!

-Make sure you use Antibiotic Ointment, followed by the moisturizer, then cover it all up with the silicone sheet.

Follow all of this to the LETTER! I know its complicated and might be boring be I used it on myself and I wouldnt come to this forum and waste my time writing all this if it hadn't worked for me.

Hope this made you're day guys! Remember hard work and scarifice pays off!

MemberMember
(@starynight)

Posted : 08/08/2010 9:57 am

Edit you must use both the ointment and the moisturizer, at the same time!

MemberMember
(@smoothmove)

Posted : 08/08/2010 6:04 pm

ShieldofFaith,

how can you possibly know that this method works when you have only started within the few past days? I'm sorry, but it is WAY too early to say that this has created lasting collagen within your scars. What you have now is perhaps some residual swelling. But do make another post after a couple of months telling us of your results.