Notifications
Clear all

Post Cortisone atrophy

MemberMember
(@suzy_rondelle)

Posted : 02/23/2009 7:54 pm

I know there is already a thread or two on the subject, but bear with me.

About a month ago I developed a giant cyst on the side of my face after accidentally ingesting peanuts, which I am allergic to. Somehow I only managed to get one, which was lucky, however, it was in a painful spot (on the hinge of my jaw) so I decided to get it injected. About a week after the injection, I noticed a depression where the injection had been. A pretty deep one...

I've read countless times that they fill themselves in after about a year, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success with saline injections to stimulate cell regrowth.

I'm not sure how this works, or if it's a great idea. I havent found much useful info on the internet.

I'm really quite upset that this happened. Most people have no problem with injections, and this was the first time I had even considered one. Lucky me.

MemberMember
(@someoneelse)

Posted : 02/23/2009 8:07 pm

I've read that one of the theories for why depressions happen with cortisone shots is that the cortisone crystallized and impairs proper regrowth. Whether or not that's total quackery or not I think there are merits to researching the cause of your depression before you try a scar treatment.

In your case though, I imagine you're just messing flesh and that on the surface the skin is smooth and not scar tissue? I guess in your shoes I'd consider fillers or even possibly excision or subcision.

MemberMember
(@suzy_rondelle)

Posted : 02/23/2009 8:11 pm

I've read that one of the theories for why depressions happen with cortisone shots is that the cortisone crystallized and impairs proper regrowth. Whether or not that's total quackery or not I think there are merits to researching the cause of your depression before you try a scar treatment.

In your case though, I imagine you're just messing flesh and that on the surface the skin is smooth and not scar tissue? I guess in your shoes I'd consider fillers or even possibly excision or subcision.

yeah, it's not scar tissue. it just looks like a small chunk of my cheek has shriveled and shrunk. thanks for the input.

MemberMember
(@snugs)

Posted : 03/02/2009 10:39 pm

I know there is already a thread or two on the subject, but bear with me.

About a month ago I developed a giant cyst on the side of my face after accidentally ingesting peanuts, which I am allergic to. Somehow I only managed to get one, which was lucky, however, it was in a painful spot (on the hinge of my jaw) so I decided to get it injected. About a week after the injection, I noticed a depression where the injection had been. A pretty deep one...

I've read countless times that they fill themselves in after about a year, but I'm wondering if anyone has had success with saline injections to stimulate cell regrowth.

I'm not sure how this works, or if it's a great idea. I havent found much useful info on the internet.

I'm really quite upset that this happened. Most people have no problem with injections, and this was the first time I had even considered one. Lucky me.

Ok... this is a little off the path of what you wanted as an answer, but here goes:

As i understand it, the derm is supposed to inject an amount of cortisone into the cyst; anymore than what is needed--beyond a specific volume--and it could dissolve good tissues in the neighborhood. With any good fortune, you will get some regeneration in the future. When I was about nineteen and had bad cysts forming, the derms then used a lance. I have to say, it worked well, and I could see the difference in one day. Just about three days later and it was just a small red bump with a tiny scab. The lance did not scar anything noticeable. I tried the cortisone shots and after the first time which worked in three days, they just took longer and longer to heal up. The cysts just got worse for four days longer before beginning to heal. So, i stopped going for that shot. If you want to wait for the future, I have read about this new treatment in Asia; they are experimenting with a stem-cell injection into the fat tissues on acne scars and the results seem promising...I have no link, but you could google it...

MemberMember
(@hellokublah)

Posted : 12/04/2012 12:22 am

hi everyone,

i wanted to tell you all about a treatment that i've been having done over the past few months that has greatly improved the scars on my face from acne and cortisone shots for cysts. its called "dermapen", its like a microdermabrasion on steroids. a pen sized tool with eleven needles on the end of it is moved across your face causing small amounts of trauma to your skin. the "trauma" stimulates your collagen to go into overdrive, therfor filling in your scars...permanently. i had a huge dent in my cheek from a cortisone shot that literally looked like someone stuck their pinky in my cheek. three treaments later, its completely gone. the treatments run about 300$ a pop, which is nothing compared to other treatment methods, like lasers. its pretty painless, just a little uncomfortable. you're red for two or three days, but not enough to have to hide inside or anything. just wanted to share this with anyone who is dealing with the anxiety that acne scars give us and is looking for a way to take care of it.

MemberMember
(@rentedname)

Posted : 12/10/2012 3:54 am

QUOTE (someoneelse @ Feb 23 2009, 07:07 PM)

yeah, it's not scar tissue. it just looks like a small chunk of my cheek has shriveled and shrunk. thanks for the input.

what does it mean if i do have scar tissue from where i got a cortisone shot? i have two indented, purple dots on the bridge of my nose where i was injected...