Notifications
Clear all

L-Proline and L-Lysine

MemberMember
(@scarcrash)

Posted : 02/20/2008 9:18 pm

I wonder if increasing one's levels of proline and lysine during/after a scar treatment or regimen would help support collagen production. Maybe this would have a synergistic effect with vitamin C to help support the healthy growth of collagen.

From my reading, these are the primary building blocks of collagen in the body.

Proline (hydroxy-proline) - Major building block of collagen and elastin, important for removing atherosclerotic deposits. Proline can neutralise stickiness of lipoproteins preventing them from attaching to inside the blood vessels. Thus it helps to prevent further build-up of deposits and release already deposited fat globules from the blood vessel wall.

Lysine (hydroxy-lysine) - Also important for collagen synthesis, and can release fat globules from blood vessel deposits. Body cant produce lysine.

"L-Lysine and L-Proline amino acids are the precursors of hydroxylysine (HL), and hydroxyproline (HP), two constituents of collagen. Collagen is an essential component of arterial linings. Vitamin C, a strong antioxidant, is also essential for the production of collagen..."

MemberMember
(@shesotropic)

Posted : 07/30/2014 8:03 pm

Lysine made me break out and made my skin oily and gross....not cute! Imay take it in the winter when my skin tends to be dryer.