Notifications
Clear all

Recommend Glycolic Acid products

MemberMember
(@insert)

Posted : 10/27/2007 10:35 am

Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12% Glycolic AHA vs. Avon Retexturizing Pads Glycloc 10%

What's the difference and what's the most effective?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/03/2007 2:04 am

Updated 11/3/07 with several more products gleaned from responses from members. Thanks for helping keep the list updated, guys! :D

MemberMember
(@smokeyjay)

Posted : 01/09/2008 3:35 am

So in comparison to glycolic acid and salicyclic acid, salicyclic is preferred when battling acne?

http://shop.paulaschoice.com/product/225/8

This product sort of interested me. I have to do more research, but I'm kind of impulsive and eager to start buying right away. I heard good things about Paula, so it was the first website I chose.

I've been using 10% glycolic acid in the morning and retin-a micro at night the past week. My skin has looked better, but just recently, I sprouted like 5 or 6 tiny pimples today that are frustrating me.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 02/08/2008 2:29 pm

So in comparison to glycolic acid and salicyclic acid, salicyclic is preferred when battling acne?

http://shop.paulaschoice.com/product/225/8

This product sort of interested me. I have to do more research, but I'm kind of impulsive and eager to start buying right away. I heard good things about Paula, so it was the first website I chose.

I've been using 10% glycolic acid in the morning and retin-a micro at night the past week. My skin has looked better, but just recently, I sprouted like 5 or 6 tiny pimples today that are frustrating me.

MemberMember
(@arty-party-love)

Posted : 02/21/2008 10:28 am

hey wynne [or anyone who has any thoughts or experience from this!]

just wondering if its ok to use the avon pads with active acne - am quite nervous to do so as i dont want a negative reaction - however i know that the skin does purge in the first 2 weeks...

also if i was looking at starting on accutane in the next month or so then would you not recommend this product for me yet- and wait till after my accutane treatment as will using avon do more harm than good- ie = make my skin purge then clear up - then purge form the accutane- this sounds a bit rough for my skin!!???

any advice would be welcome

thanx

MemberMember
(@arty-party-love)

Posted : 02/25/2008 12:47 pm

anyone???

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 02/25/2008 1:04 pm

If you're starting Accutane you do not need to (nor should you) use something as exfoliative as the Avon glycolic pads. You should get a gentle cleanser and a moisturizer, though.

MemberMember
(@ohsailor)

Posted : 02/25/2008 4:44 pm

Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polisher

It contains glycolic acid and gives the appearance of a peel. Excellent product! Costs A7.50

MemberMember
(@ohsailor)

Posted : 02/25/2008 4:52 pm

Wynne

Is this what you recommend? http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.asp?src...amp;pf_id=30956

How often do you use it? Has it worked to fade your red marks?

MemberMember
(@spottedflutegirl)

Posted : 08/26/2008 12:40 pm

Long quote removed for brevity's sake. :)

I'd like to suggest reviva labs 5% and 10% glycolic cream, and their glycolic cleanser and toner. I always had acne, and it that stuff helped me even more that retin-a (argh! I hated that stuff!) and diffren (sp?), which my derm. perscribed. Although, that was about 8 years ago..how time flies!

I use the reviva glycolic products, and I haven't gotten anymore cyctic acne. THANK GOODNESS! And, my skin looks "glowy". I get it from vitacost.com.

MemberMember
(@sgupta)

Posted : 08/28/2008 4:42 pm

I have been using Bioclear Gel by Jan Marini every other night for about one month. I use it immediately after washing, apply a thin layer of BP over it, and then moisturizer with Jojoba oil. The Bioclear Gel is pretty strong (12% AHA) and it also includes Salicyclic Acid and Azelaic Acid. It's expensive, but I really like the results so far. I think the Glycolic Acid/Azelaic acid combo is helping to fade my hyperpigmentation slowly as well. May be worth a try.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/28/2008 7:03 pm

Wynne

Is this what you recommend? http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/product.asp?src...amp;pf_id=30956

How often do you use it? Has it worked to fade your red marks?

If it is the Anew Clinical Advanced Retexturising Peel, then yes, that is what I use. No red marks, no inflamed acne either. Minimal blackheads or clogged pores. This is what works for me, but unfortunately nothing works for everyone.

I have been using Bioclear Gel by Jan Marini every other night for about one month. I use it immediately after washing, apply a thin layer of BP over it, and then moisturizer with Jojoba oil. The Bioclear Gel is pretty strong (12% AHA) and it also includes Salicyclic Acid and Azelaic Acid. It's expensive, but I really like the results so far. I think the Glycolic Acid/Azelaic acid combo is helping to fade my hyperpigmentation slowly as well. May be worth a try.

Thank you for reminding me about this thread. :) Thanks for the input as well.

I'd like to suggest reviva labs 5% and 10% glycolic cream, and their glycolic cleanser and toner. I always had acne, and it that stuff helped me even more that retin-a (argh! I hated that stuff!) and diffren (sp?), which my derm. perscribed. Although, that was about 8 years ago..how time flies!

I use the reviva glycolic products, and I haven't gotten anymore cyctic acne. THANK GOODNESS! And, my skin looks "glowy". I get it from vitacost.com.

Thanks for the addition.

MemberMember
(@synderella)

Posted : 08/28/2008 10:37 pm

im usiing avons anew rextexturing peel

MemberMember
(@7)

Posted : 04/19/2009 6:23 pm

I use 35% glycolic acid from skin labs. I apply it using a cotton ball, leave it on for 5 minutes, then wash thoroughly

MemberMember
(@max-quin)

Posted : 03/11/2010 9:04 pm

I was just wondering, why do you specifically swear by Avon Anew's 35% Glycolic Acid 'Peel' thingy? For starters the first thing that puts me off is the fact it on those little wipe things, which tends to make me think it won't work as effectively and as well as just purchasinga 35% Tube of Glycolic Acid 'Peel' from ebay, which is much cheaper as well?

Same goes with the BHA, why are peels frowned upon? Wouldn't a peel do more and be more effective? Plus I was thinking of applying a glycolic peel 35% or something every wensday and hopefully applying the Alpha Hydrox 10% Glycolic acid daily. Would that be wise?

Anyway I would also like to know what results you have got so far, I mean it's your "holy grail" I guess that means it has worked amazingly, how so?? I specfically want stuff like this, as I have a lot of hyperpigmentation scars on my face, also uneven skin tone and I'm hoping (well it should work anyway) that glycolic peel will lighten my face so that it blends with my neck which is at the moment lighter in tone, was also hoping it will help reduce redness.

Can I also use it on my body? to do with uneven skin tone. I was thinking of using Baking soda on my face and body as I've heard it works verry well for hyperpigmentation scaring and is brilliant for lightening select areas of the skin, so I thought from all the rave reviews it would work brillaintly for finally evening out my skin tone.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 03/11/2010 11:02 pm

I was just wondering, why do you specifically swear by Avon Anew's 35% Glycolic Acid 'Peel' thingy? For starters the first thing that puts me off is the fact it on those little wipe things, which tends to make me think it won't work as effectively and as well as just purchasinga 35% Tube of Glycolic Acid 'Peel' from ebay, which is much cheaper as well?

Same goes with the BHA, why are peels frowned upon? Wouldn't a peel do more and be more effective? Plus I was thinking of applying a glycolic peel 35% or something every wensday and hopefully applying the Alpha Hydrox 10% Glycolic acid daily. Would that be wise?

Anyway I would also like to know what results you have got so far, I mean it's your "holy grail" I guess that means it has worked amazingly, how so?? I specfically want stuff like this, as I have a lot of hyperpigmentation scars on my face, also uneven skin tone and I'm hoping (well it should work anyway) that glycolic peel will lighten my face so that it blends with my neck which is at the moment lighter in tone, was also hoping it will help reduce redness.

Can I also use it on my body? to do with uneven skin tone. I was thinking of using Baking soda on my face and body as I've heard it works verry well for hyperpigmentation scaring and is brilliant for lightening select areas of the skin, so I thought from all the rave reviews it would work brillaintly for finally evening out my skin tone.

Avon is about 10%-13% glycolic. Not 35%! It works great for me. Even keeps me clear.

A 'peel' is considered deeper, more invasive and thus requires much more care and consideration in providing one, or suggesting one rather than a much more readily available and safer alternative like Alpha Hydrox Souffle or the Avon glycolic product.

Baking soda is a bad idea unless you MIX it with apple cider vinegar as the pH of the baking soda does NOT match your skin's! That can cause worsened breakouts, dry, irritated skin, too. VERY irritated skin. Your skin's acidic, putting a basic/alkaline baking soda on it would interrupt the acid mantle of the skin. Please read the following post on pH and why your skin prefers acidic products. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/pH-import...-p-t144725.html The product you wish to use is alkaline and will damage your acid mantle and increase the risk of breaking out and irritation.

MemberMember
(@max-quin)

Posted : 04/17/2010 9:44 am

I was wondering can I use one Avon peel pad to cover my upper arms and upper chest where I have hyperpigmentation.

I was thinking of investing in Alpha Hydrox's Enhanced Lotion as opposed to all these pads which I kinda don't like using, do you think using Alpha Hydrox's Lotion daily would be more effective in the short and long-run then using Avon Anew's Retexturising peel every other day. I say this because while Avon provides a cheap product (espicially on eBay) I don't want to have to use the pads daily because there are only 30, and even if I used the pads every other day last thing I want to do is use two pads to cover my upper chest and arm area.

MemberMember
(@paulvg)

Posted : 09/11/2010 9:46 pm

Hi Wynne, can I use a Glycolic acid based cream together with a kojic acid based cream and apply them at the same time?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/12/2010 3:36 am

Hi Wynne, can I use a Glycolic acid based cream together with a kojic acid based cream and apply them at the same time?

I don't know. :P

MemberMember
(@paulvg)

Posted : 09/12/2010 4:25 am

I don't know. :P

Aw, thanks anyway.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/12/2010 4:36 am

Sorry, don't know anything about kojic acid. :) If it's exfoliative, I'd be very careful about using it in combo with glycolic acid.

MemberMember
(@paulvg)

Posted : 09/12/2010 4:42 am

Sorry, don't know anything about kojic acid. :) If it's exfoliative, I'd be very careful about using it in combo with glycolic acid.

As far as I can remember, kojic acid do not have exfoliating properties. Is it ok if I don't use AHA in a regular basis? By the way, my skin is not that too sensitive.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/12/2010 5:07 am

As far as I can remember, kojic acid do not have exfoliating properties. Is it ok if I don't use AHA in a regular basis? By the way, my skin is not that too sensitive.

Some people have success with glycolic acid used irregularly. The one I use is to be used every other day or every third day.

I would be concerned that it may be irritating for you to use both together. Only way to know for sure is to try....and do a bit of research about kojic acid first.

Ah, I did a quick bit of research myself. I ran across an article that suggests a combo of kojic acid and glycolic acid for pigmentation issues (melasma) and it reported efficacy. The article also suggested use of hydrocortisone because the combo is very irritating! So....they're likely too irritating to use together as I don't myself recommend topical steroids except under extreme circumstances. (rarely, that is...if ever! :P) http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1068091-overview

MemberMember
(@anta)

Posted : 09/13/2010 10:40 am

I'm interested in trying Avon's ANEW CLINICAL Advanced Retexturizing Peel, but I'm not sure if this would replace the aha I'm currently using. I've been using dan's aha lotion every day for eight months without any irritation. It keeps my acne away and my skin has remained consistently clear because of it. Do you think I can use the peel and aha lotion together? Maybe not on the same day, but on alternate days. For instance, aha on monday, peel on tuesday etc.

I don't have any inflamed acne. My only concern is a few hyperpigmentation marks (around three or four.. I know that's not a lot but it still bothers me ) and milia.

Please let me know what you think.

Here is my current skin care routine:

Morning

Clear and Clear foam cleanser

Thayer's Alcohol Free Toner

Homemade Vitamin C serum

Sunscreen

Evening:

Same cleanser and toner as above

Dan's Aha

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/13/2010 3:22 pm

I don't see why you could not try them on alternate days. :) They're both glycolic 10% products so definitely on alternate days (not at the same time or on the same day).