Notifications
Clear all

Recommend Glycolic Acid products

MemberMember
(@weenie-beenie)

Posted : 08/02/2007 6:43 am

Wynne, how long did it take you to see major results from the Avon? Like I said, I've been using it for about 2 and a half weeks now, so I'm sure I'm nowhere near where I WILL be. I just want to have something to look forward to

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/02/2007 8:54 am

I'm off it now, but I found Liquid Gold by Alpha-H to be really quite good. It's expensive though.

MemberMember
(@snowman)

Posted : 08/02/2007 11:16 am

DDF Products are decent check out their website

MemberMember
(@inrepair)

Posted : 08/02/2007 4:59 pm

I'm using the anew retexturizing pads to, and I was using them for 3 weeks but I broke out REALLY bad. I knew that happens so I stuck with it, but it was getting bad. So I stopped for a week, then my face cleared back up and my red marks actually have looked the best they have ever had. But I started using it again last Wednesday and now my face is all broken out again. I think it is in the pad. I dunno If I should just stick with it, or if I really do have a problem with using them. Its why I am looking into other AHAs products that might be better, :(

They might very well be too harsh for you. My skin is highly oily and minimally sensitive and just loves glycolic acid.

You might be well off with just Lac Hydrin 5! That helps with red marks and is considerably more gentle than glycolic acid.

The Paula's Choice liquid BHA 2% is excellent for very oily and minimally sensitive skin. With just starting out using the glycolic product and still reacting strongly to it, I would not use the PC BHA until your skin is totally used to the glycolic acid. I did not add BHA for several months after starting the glycolic acid.

I am using the Alpha Hydrox Souffle on my arms, chest, and back (and neck) and it is no where near as strong feeling as the Avon product. It is hmm, almost soothing. :)

Okay I'll give the Lac Hydrin 5 a try, that's a lotion right? Even though I think the pads are helping I am breaking out all over the place, and it sucks cause I was able to control my breakouts really well now and now I'm all over the place. So I know its the pads. I cut it down to once every other day but I don't think its working to well.

I am looking into peels, should I wait a month or so till my face gets use to everything? I thought if you use glycolic product a few weeks before a peel that should be good enough? Either way I'll wait till my face settles down before I do anything big to it.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/02/2007 5:13 pm

The Lac Hydrin 5 is a moisturizer lotion. It gets rave reviews from users of the DKR, who are prone to flaking and dryness.

Try it out, save the Avon for when you're older. ;) (Or, give it to your mom!) It might be okay in another year to try again. I believe most glycolics (most acids) have a long shelf life.

MemberMember
(@inrepair)

Posted : 08/02/2007 6:42 pm

Okay I'll give that shot thanks :D

EDIT- I just read that you need a sunscreen with this, is that true? cause I use Dove Lotion now and that has SPF in it, so is there a certain sunscreen I need?

MemberMember
(@blackdog)

Posted : 08/03/2007 6:26 pm

Won't AHA's reduce even inflamed acne in the long run? Cause some people are saying getting rid of that layer of dead skin has helped...and also it's supposed to make BP and other stuff work better by getting deeper in your skin, right? So it should also help for ACV, aloe, green tea, bio oil, and all the other stuff that people use?

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 08/03/2007 6:57 pm

Won't AHA's reduce even inflamed acne in the long run? Cause some people are saying getting rid of that layer of dead skin has helped...and also it's supposed to make BP and other stuff work better by getting deeper in your skin, right? So it should also help for ACV, aloe, green tea, bio oil, and all the other stuff that people use?

I am not sure about AHAs reducing inflamed acne, but they are wonderful exfoliants and thus help prevent those clogged pores in the first place, potentially limiting the 'inflamed acne' breakouts as well.

I would think the penetration of other topicals is better only because the outermost layer of skin is more even. Emu oil is a carrier oil, so it does help increase the penetration of topicals. That's why the warning not to use emu oil prior to deeper chemical peels.

Sunscreen of at least SPF 30 is very important when using an AHA product. The AHA makes the skin more susceptible to sun damage and hyperpigmentation (melasma). I did not heed the warning and forgot sunscreen one day. I had a very obvious area of hyperpigmentation that looked like mud smeared across my forehead on one side only. It has faded with continued use of the glycolic and strict use of sunscreen.

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 08/03/2007 6:59 pm

Picked up a bottle of Neova smoothing gel. I got it because if I'm doing other treatments, this is one you don't leave on. So, it fits nicely into my barrage of products. I don't really worry about the methylparaben, & propylparaben because it's coming right off.

I also have the Avon Anew stuff (ebay), & Paula's Choice %.

Neova Smoothing Gel

Product Description

A 10% non-buffered glycolic acid gel

Directions: Wash area with the appropriate cleanser for your skin type, rinse and dry. Squeeze a small amount of Smoothing Gel on fingertips, rub together and apply lightly all over face or affected area. Leave on 1-3 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Ingredients

Water, Glycolic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

MemberMember
(@weenie-beenie)

Posted : 08/09/2007 1:46 pm

Where can I purchase Paula's Choice BHA Liquid?

MemberMember
(@weenie-beenie)

Posted : 08/15/2007 3:15 pm

Alpha Hydrox AHA Souffle 12% Glycolic AHA vs. Avon Retexturizing Pads Glycloc 10%

What's the difference and what's the most effective?

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 08/29/2007 11:06 am

I'm using the anew retexturizing pads to, and I was using them for 3 weeks but I broke out REALLY bad. I knew that happens so I stuck with it, but it was getting bad. So I stopped for a week, then my face cleared back up and my red marks actually have looked the best they have ever had. But I started using it again last Wednesday and now my face is all broken out again. I think it is in the pad. I dunno If I should just stick with it, or if I really do have a problem with using them. Its why I am looking into other AHAs products that might be better, :(
MemberMember
(@tamlanticyen)

Posted : 08/29/2007 10:26 pm

I thought it would be lovely to compile a list of member's glycolic acid products that they have personal experience with and would be willing to recommend to others who are fighting either 1. comedonal acne or 2. combo comedonal acne and small inflamed areas 3. aging 4. any of the above!
MemberMember
(@moondoy)

Posted : 09/03/2007 5:04 pm

Hey Wynne, where can you find the Avon pads in store? If not where do you recommend to buy from? And does the neutrogena pore refining toner help with red marks/complexion?

MemberMember
(@glass)

Posted : 09/25/2007 8:14 am

Glykeros by VMV Hypoallergenics works really well.

I love the fact that it makes your skin glow (which I think is what most glycolic products do). It also helps with red marks, facial lines, and shallow scarring.

I understand that it's not easily accessible to most people, though. VMV is not available in most countries. But you can always buy it from their website.

:)

MemberMember
(@beezteez)

Posted : 09/25/2007 10:47 am

hey can anyone recommend me a good moisturizer with spf? im using the aqua glycolic one right now for night only. id prefer if its a brand that retailers such as walmart or shoppersdrugmart (canada) carry

MemberMember
(@beezteez)

Posted : 09/25/2007 11:00 am

i was looking at this http://acne.org/neutrogena-ultrasheer-dry-.../126/page1.html

which seems pretty good... only thing is.. i dont think its a moisturizer...

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/27/2007 5:38 am

hey can anyone recommend me a good moisturizer with spf? im using the aqua glycolic one right now for night only. id prefer if its a brand that retailers such as walmart or shoppersdrugmart (canada) carry
MemberMember
(@shooter18910)

Posted : 09/27/2007 8:34 am

If Cetaphil is available there, try the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizing SPF 15 lotion. It's quite nice.
MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/27/2007 8:45 am

^The AmLactin isn't a glycolic acid product, but it is an AHA. Other acids (non-AHAs) are also good at exfoliation (TCA, mandelic, etc).

MemberMember
(@truman-gerdfunge)

Posted : 09/27/2007 9:09 am

^^^^^

I notice Wynne that you have experience of TCA peels.

I have read up about their strength and think i should try to get some feedback before diving into the deep end with this.

I would like to know how well it worked and also how long it healed? Basically just if its worth getting, it just seems a bit risky, but the effects which can be achieved seem awesome.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/27/2007 9:20 am

For first time users, a 12.5% TCA peel is more than sufficient. For those who've used AHAs a while, a 15% or 20% is sufficient. Higher than that is only for very experienced persons who are very good with judging their own skin and its reactions.

There are many users who've had experience with TCA peels; why don't you start a thread about them in the scar treatments or red marks forum? I'll post my experience there and more than likely you'll get lots of helpful responses in a separate thread dedicated to TCA peels.

MemberMember
(@annabee23)

Posted : 09/29/2007 7:42 pm

Hi i'm from Melbourne. Australia. Just wondering if anyone knows of any glycolic acid products with more than 5% that I don't have to purchase online. Something I can get from like target or myers etc.

Thanks, Anna :)

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 10/05/2007 6:12 am

Hi i'm from Melbourne. Australia. Just wondering if anyone knows of any glycolic acid products with more than 5% that I don't have to purchase online. Something I can get from like target or myers etc.

Thanks, Anna :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/26/2007 11:17 am

Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polisher

It contains glycolic acid and gives the appearance of a peel. Excellent product! Costs A7.50