Notifications
Clear all

Supplies in Taiwan

MemberMember
(@shui-yang-suan)

Posted : 05/09/2005 9:44 am

Since there have been some questions about supplies in Taiwan, here are my experiences, no guarantees for completeness or correctness:

The first thing to note is that most of the big international brands are not sold at all in Taiwan; don't ask me why, they simply don't get exported there. You will not find Clearasil or Oxy anywhere, no matter which product category. In most cases, it's not worth looking for the brands you know from North America or Europe. Don't waste your time. (I did and regret.)

Benzoyl Peroxide

Available, but not nearly as popular as elsewhere. Drug stores rarely stock any, some of the biggest outlets sometimes do (as has already been said, try Taipei 101). You can get it from pharmacies, although the smaller ones might even have to order it for you. Knowing the Chinese name (guo4-yang3 hua4-ben3 - "oxidized benzene", preferably written in Chinese characters) helps, as does knowing an available brand name. The only foreign brands which I know are definitely available are Panoxyl, Benoxyl and Stri-dex. There are also at least two local brands (or at least I think they are), called Acnie and Aczo, which might be easier to obtain than the foreign products.

Salicylic Acid

Available, popular; Neutrogena spot control seems to have the largest market share although there are cheaper local alternatives. Can be bought in most drug stores. Haven't seen any clearasil-style face wash so far.

Sulfur

Available under local and Japanese brands; the bigger drug stores have it.

Erythromycin

Unlike in most places, this is available prescription-free, at least in its 2% gel-form. The most widely sold brand seems to be Jumelle anti-acne gel. You can get it at the bigger drug stores. It's occasionally behind the counter, but I have seen it on the shelves as well.

Other options

A variety of locally or Japanese-made antibacterial soap gels and foams are advertised as acne remedies, using agents such as Triclosan or Isopropyl Methylphenol; worth a try for milder Acne I guess.

There is also a whole range of remedies from Chinese traditional medicine. Again, definitely worth a try, although you should get some general advice on it if you are not already familiar with the domain of Chinese traditional medicine. It's a world apart from Western medicine.

Moisturizers

You are spoilt for choice. Taiwanese women are obsessed with skin care, and the assortments are accordingly.

That's my experience. No guarantees, it is only intended as a starting point. For corrections and additions simply follow-up, I would be interested to know as well.

MemberMember
(@shui-yang-suan)

Posted : 05/10/2005 3:08 am

Yes, of course, as soon as you write something down, there are corrections ...

Watson's have started selling Oxy-10 in their bigger stores, which makes this the most widely available BP brand after Panoxyl. So Oxy has made it to Taiwan. Most other suppliers still haven't though.

MemberMember
(@har)

Posted : 06/15/2006 2:01 pm

Yes I'm from Taiwan and its good to find another guy that lives in the same area as you do. Truely, I must say, Taiwan's market is filled with so many kinds of products + advertisments, it is really easy to be misled by those medical companies.

To add to your list, Watsons is a pretty good place with a wide range of anti-acne products to choose from.

Erythromycin

The one I'm using right now was prescribed by a dermatologist. Its stiefel's (A?AAA?AAA) Stiemycin rub. I saw it once in Watsons too, along with other products from the stiefel company (includes panoxy, this Isotretinoin 0.05% cream and others)

Yeah thats all I have to add. Hope more Taiwanese visit this site so we can exchange our experiences and questions also.

MemberMember
(@rigo05)

Posted : 07/17/2015 9:05 am

hi im rodrigo venturina im from taiwan i want to buy your products. how can i buy please answer my email thank you