Notifications
Clear all

Eu Alternitives

MemberMember
(@elkejellekehotmail-com)

Posted : 06/07/2015 5:30 pm

Hello

I've used benzoyl peroxide before, and it only worked so-so. I did not use it the same way as the regimen prescribes, so I really want to try it the 'right' way. The only issue being that ordering acne.org products from Europe just seems ridiculously expensive, and most alternatives advised also are brands that at least aren't commen in the EU.

About my skin: I've suffered from acne for 10 years (22 now). It started on my forehead as a teenager, but the last years it's mainly on my cheeks and jaw-line. Things I've used 'succesfuly' before include: Inderm, benzoyl peroxide 5%, Diane 35 birthcontrol. I have very thin skin, normal to dry, and normal sized pores... I don't think I've had an 'even' complexion since I entered puberty. And marks last forever. It's sad in fact, even when I don't pick a pimple, it will leave a red mark (plus, that pimple will come back in the same place). I took the quiz and according to those pictures I'd classify my acne as 'moderate'.

Would you be willing to check if what I picked out is okay? Or advise other products? I'm from Belgium, so preferably something that's available in supermarkets (Colruyt, Delhaize, Carrefour, Bioplanet, Aldi,...) or pharmacies.

Cleaning:

Weleda mild cleaning for the sensitive skin with almond (75ml 10 euro)

Ingredients

SeaLine Mineral Face Wash (200ml 15 euro)

Ingredients

HEMA cleaning gel (3 euro 150ml)

Ingredients

This is actually the most difficult to find because it seems to involve the most unpronouncable ingredients. The ones I picked here can be found in the supermarket, but brands like Vichy, Yves Rocher, Clinique or La Roche Posay are also easy to find in the pharmacies/perfume stores like ICI Paris XL. I started from the list but couldn't find any of those products in mainstream supermarkets or online stores over here. I also didn't look at Nivea and such, because I assume those are also readily available in the US and didn't make Dan's list for a reason. I really don't know what cleansing gel to get... I hardly know what's out there even, the choice is overwhelming, but practically everything has SLS or ALS or tons of alcohols,... not sure what to think. I do remember from my early teens that using Claerasil was terribly drying, same with Nivea Young etc

Also, can anyone explain me the difference between a 'cleansing gel', a 'cleansing milk' and a 'cleansing tonic'? The latter two don't include first wetting your face with water, but I assume they are also used to clean the face, or are they only to be used after the initial cleaning?

Treatment:

Benzac 5% Gel (40gr 8 euro)

Ingredients: Benzoylperoxidum anhudr. 50mg - propyleneglycol. - glycerol - methacrylic. - acidum copolymerum - carbomer - poloxamer - dinatrii edetas - natrii docusas - silicic. dioxyd. colloid. - natrii hydroxid. - aqua purificata ad 1g.

The first time I used BP I actually had a mix made at the pharmacy so I could get 2.5%, it cost me like 20 euro's for a 40gr tube. Whilst the 5% is readily available and costs around 8 euro, also for 40gr. I wish there was a EU manufacterer for the acne.org BP t.t

Can I mix the 5% gel with something to make it less irritating and more like a 2.5% gel?

Moisturizer:

Landrome Sweet almond oil (11.15 euro 100ml)

Sunscreen:

Lovea SPF 30 (115ml 14 euro)

Ingredients

I've been using sweet almond oil for months now as a moisturizer and while it didn't help my acne, it also didn't worsen it, and it does help heal 'wounds' faster. And my face isn't so dry anymore.

All in all. Skin care is so expensive. Many thanks in advance for helping me :)

MemberMember
(@elkejellekehotmail-com)

Posted : 06/10/2015 7:19 am

For anyone interested, I did the calculations how much these alternatives would cost me to get the same quantity as the 8oz/16oz regimen kit.

Benzac 5%: 48 euro

Hema cleanser: 4.5 euro

Almond oil: 26 euro

8oz each Total: 80 euro (driving to store etc)

16oz each Total: 156 euro

Obviously, if I could get benzoyl peroxide cheaper it would make a huge difference.

8oz regimen + shipping + 21% VAT + douane = min. 84 euro

16oz regimen + costs = min. 132 euro

I'm a bit shocked haha. Will try to find out if I can't find benzoyl peroxide cheaper, but otherwise I guess I'll take the risk of ordering the actual Regimen and getting it through customs. 2-6 weeks shipping, plus 2 weeks customs, that's not something to look forward to.

MemberMember
(@lovelyduck)

Posted : 06/15/2015 9:32 am

You can order the acne.org benzoyl peroxide 8oz tube from amazon.com. I'm based in the UK and don't have to pay any import taxes after purchasing it. So I just pay the cost plus delivery from amazon.com

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/17/2015 7:00 pm

Hi!

I'm from Belgium too and have been on the regimen for about 3 months now, also using alternatives.

What I use

Cleansing

The body shop cleansing oil (an oil is not drying and very gentle on the skin, it does take a bit of rinsing off. I think it costs 13 but TBS almost always has some sort of promotion going on)

Benzoyl peroxide

Benzac 5% (I'm on my second tube now and it was about 8)

Moisturizer

The body shop vitamin E moisture cream (I find this very pleasant as it isn't greasy but still hydrates enough)

Sunscreen

Shiseido sun protection spray SPF 15 OIL FREE

As for cleanser I think the most important thing is to have a gentle cleanser (non foaming) without sls/als and mineral oil. And from experience I learned never to skip moisturizer, cause when your skin is dehydrated it will produce more oils and that may lead to more breakouts (at least it did with me lol).

A cleansing gel has a gel like texture and often becomes foamy when water is added (I often find this a drying)

A cleansing milk has a thicker creamier texture and is mostly very gentle on the skin

A cleansing tonic has a water like texture

I wish you good luck with the regimen!!