Notifications
Clear all

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Really A Problem?

MemberMember
(@kyle_)

Posted : 01/10/2013 9:12 pm

Hello everyone

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone here uses skin cleansers with sodium lauryl sulfate in them?

I use the acne.org stuff but being in the UK, it's quite expensive, I really do need to find a cleanser in the UK I can use, but everything I look at has this sodium lauryl sulfate stuff in it! I have always tried to avoid it but is it really that bad? It's in everything! I was looking at Cetaphill gentle Daily Skin Cleanser, it would be so much cheaper but it has sodium lauryl sulfate and cetyl alcohol, but I hear so much good stuff about it!

Maybe I'm being too gentle with my skin? I don't have acne, I keep it down with the regimen, so maybe I don't have to keep buying acne.org cleanser, maybe something like the Cetaphill will work and maybe clean my skin a bit more? I always find the acne.org stuff leavs dead skin still on my face, I'm just stuck for ideas!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 01/10/2013 11:27 pm

No, SLS isn't that bad. The reason it got such a bad reputation is because of numerous patch test studies showing irritation. However, the SLS was usually left on the skin for 24 to 72 hours, and cleansers are, well, washed off. SLS would only be problematic if you left the cleanser on your face all night, rubbed really hard and/or you have hypersensitive skin like eczema.

Kyle_ liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 01/11/2013 8:45 pm

SLS has been linked to things as extreme as cancer, and so have parabens (the preservatives found in many cosmetics and even facial washes). But it seems that the list of ingredients to avoid is ever-growing, and these ingredients are the hardest to avoid, particularly SLS because it is a cheap soaping agent and companies use it to cut down on production costs. In my case, I discovered I was sensitive to SLS when I started getting noticeable redness around my mouth. Someone told me it might be from my toothpaste or mouthwash, so I changed to a natural brand and the irritation was gone. The common ingredient was SLS, and it can also be found in some organic/ natural brands and is also listed under a variety of other names.

Anyway, for me, switching to SLS-free products worked because the redness went away within weeks. If you are not experiencing redness or irritation then your skin might not be as sensitive.

MemberMember
(@torquemonster)

Posted : 01/13/2013 4:04 am

I don't think there is a "one size fits all answer". Some folks have adverse reaction to SLS products while others do not. My skin is really sensitive and I suspected SLS was the culprit making me irritated, red, and breaking out. I switched all my cleansers / shampoos to sulfate-free, paraben-free products about 3-4 months ago and my skin / scalp have dramatically improved. About all you can do is try sulfate-free and see how you react. Enjoy!

MemberMember
(@somedayistoday)

Posted : 11/15/2014 12:41 pm

I use sls free shampoo and body wash but have been using Cetaphil cleanser and Tom's toothpaste which contain sls. Since most of my acne is on my lower cheek area with some irritated skin (possibly eczema) around my mouth, I could very well have a sensitivity to sls. I also developed a canker sore in my mouth today. I'm going to switch to cerave face wash and an sls free toothpaste and see how it goes

MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 12/12/2014 9:31 pm

Any idea about any free sls toothpaste.

I use a sufate free shampoo , but I still get itchy scalp sometimes , some people still use clarifying shampoos and most clarifying shampoos contain sls.

I have been using cetaphil gentle bar cleanser to wash my body , but I still itch and find that the soap leaves a residue that accumulates, so I was thinking, so maybe sls is not that bad , because it really cleanses , but some people might be sensitive to it.

It's so complicated ,I just can't remember my skin being so sensitive or reactive in my younger years.but I'm 52 , so I guess ,I can expect that.

MemberMember
(@kimchiimonsturr)

Posted : 12/13/2014 8:58 am

No, SLS isn't that bad. The reason it got such a bad reputation is because of numerous patch test studies showing irritation. However, the SLS was usually left on the skin for 24 to 72 hours, and cleansers are, well, washed off. SLS would only be problematic if you left the cleanser on your face all night, rubbed really hard and/or you have hypersensitive skin like eczema.

SLS is can be toxic with prolonged use... It has been shown in animal studies and in vitro to be organtoxic, neurotoxic, immunotoxic, endocrine disruption ( hormones ), cancer ( mutations ), and reproductive toxicity. It's not that SLS is highly toxic; it's the REPETITIVE, CUMULATIVE, gradual usage that will adversely affect your health. You use cosmetics and shampoos ( that contain SLS ) everyday; that will eventually accumulate in your system, causing adverse effects.